Thread poster: islander1974
vwkl (X)
vwkl (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good advice about using the driver's licence number Sep 19, 2010

In Canada, I have seen people from government agencies take my SIN, make some phone call to some automated service, to obtain and confirm very personal information such as my date of birth. I don't know if that is a restricted service, but I would be very hesitant giving away my SIN. I work with agencies in Europe (none in Spain, though) and was never asked for it.

By the way, it was only earlier this year that I had a close call with identity theft, so obviously even my safe practi
... See more
In Canada, I have seen people from government agencies take my SIN, make some phone call to some automated service, to obtain and confirm very personal information such as my date of birth. I don't know if that is a restricted service, but I would be very hesitant giving away my SIN. I work with agencies in Europe (none in Spain, though) and was never asked for it.

By the way, it was only earlier this year that I had a close call with identity theft, so obviously even my safe practices were not good enough.
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good faith Sep 19, 2010

I feel that Neil is right to say that the Spanish agency is almost certainly acting in good faith - even if it is asking for unnecessary information. Nobody who wanted to collect identities for fraudulent purposes would go about it that way. Fortunately, identity theft is not a common problem here in Spain.

Jessica's suggestion of offering a driver identification number is cute and may well work.

vwkl (X)
vwkl (X)
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 21, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

I feel that Neil is right to say that the Spanish agency is almost certainly acting in good faith - even if it is asking for unnecessary information. Nobody who wanted to collect identities for fraudulent purposes would go about it that way. Fortunately, identity theft is not a common problem here in Spain.

I would also consider the possibility of hackers into the agent's server, for example. Not one of my agents, but one of the merchants of which I am a regular client, recently told me they got hacked, with some lower-risk personal details stolen. It gives me peace of mind to know that I don't have too much sensitive personal information sitting in somebody's database that has an unknown level of security.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Driver's License Sep 21, 2010

I work for quite a few Spanish companies and have never been asked for my ID number. I have been required to put THEIR tax number (VAT) on the Invoice.

The driver's license sounds like a good idea. It doesn't give them access to any other information - drivers license records are confidential in Canada and only the police have access to them.

Meezermex
Meezermex
Local time: 04:16
Spanish to English
Driver's License number would be best Oct 21, 2010

I understand your desire to keep your SIN to yourself. It does not seem necessary for them to have it. You pay your own taxes here in Canada after all.

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DL Oct 22, 2010

In the end, I decided to give them something to chew on by providing my driver's license number. They appear satisfied with it for now.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:16
French to English
+ ...
Give them a random number...? Oct 22, 2010

If they just require "a number", then rather than giving them your driving licence number, you could always just give them a random number.

A random number would not provide any authority on your tax situation. Just like your driving licence number...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giving out my social insurance number to agency in Spain

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »