https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/163235-newcomer_to_canada_work_opportunities_for_a_freelance_translator_romanian_german_english.html&phpv_redirected=1

Newcomer to Canada: work opportunities for a freelance translator Romanian/German/English
Thread poster: Alexia Frentoni
Alexia Frentoni
Alexia Frentoni
Local time: 02:20
Romanian to German
+ ...
Apr 21, 2010

Hi,

I just moved to Toronto, coming from Romania, where I've worked as a full time freelance translator (language combinations: Romanian / German / English), for six years.

I'm interested in finding out what the available job opportunities would be in this field, and whether I need a canadian certification to work as a translator.

Does anyone have any information on the demand for translations from/into Romanian and from/into German, in Canada?

... See more
Hi,

I just moved to Toronto, coming from Romania, where I've worked as a full time freelance translator (language combinations: Romanian / German / English), for six years.

I'm interested in finding out what the available job opportunities would be in this field, and whether I need a canadian certification to work as a translator.

Does anyone have any information on the demand for translations from/into Romanian and from/into German, in Canada?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The first step: get certified Apr 22, 2010

I reckon that in order to succeed in Canada you should probably get certified by the Canadian association. You can get to know more about it here. Good luck!

Alexia Frentoni
Alexia Frentoni
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Apr 22, 2010

Thank you! I'll check it out and see how this works out for me!
Have a nice day!

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Certification Apr 22, 2010

Hi Alexia

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you, though I've been in Canada for 4 years now. Up until today I have not been able to get into the Canadian market, partly because I'm not prepared to work for 10 cents an hour or less, partly because I could keep many European clients and partly because I never bothered to get certified. I've been an associate member of STIBC, but that didn't provide me with a single client. I keep having to turn down translations of birth certific
... See more
Hi Alexia

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you, though I've been in Canada for 4 years now. Up until today I have not been able to get into the Canadian market, partly because I'm not prepared to work for 10 cents an hour or less, partly because I could keep many European clients and partly because I never bothered to get certified. I've been an associate member of STIBC, but that didn't provide me with a single client. I keep having to turn down translations of birth certificates and such, particularly from German into English, so I'd suggest you concentrate on that language combination.

HTH

- Marinus
Collapse

Alexia Frentoni
Alexia Frentoni
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marinus! Apr 22, 2010

I think I'll also try to stick to my old European customers for now! It's rather easy for us translators to work from anywhere in the world, so why not consider the option of leaving everything as it is - at least until I get accustomed to this "new environment"!

Thanks a lot!
Greetings, Alexia

Alexia Frentoni
Alexia Frentoni
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rates for freelance translators in Canada Apr 26, 2010

Hello again,

I just found some job postings referring to freelance translators English into German, and they want me to state my hourly rates. In Europe and Romania I was used to work with rates per word or page (2000 characters), so I'm not sure what an appropriate hourly rate for a translator means.

Can anyone give me some figures, just so I can make a general idea?

Thanks,
Alexia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newcomer to Canada: work opportunities for a freelance translator Romanian/German/English

Translation news in Canada

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »