Thread poster: Sofía A.C.
Sofía A.C.
Sofía A.C.
Local time: 12:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2010

Hello everyone,

I am a Spanish translator thinking about moving to Canada this year. My language pairs are English-Spanish, French-Spanish and Japanese-Spanish, and I am also an English sworn translator/interpreter appointed by the MAEC (Spanish Foreign Office). I am looking for any information regarding job opportunities in the translating/interpreting field, specially in big cities such as Ottawa, Québec, Vancouver or Toronto.

Is it essential to a member of the Can
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am a Spanish translator thinking about moving to Canada this year. My language pairs are English-Spanish, French-Spanish and Japanese-Spanish, and I am also an English sworn translator/interpreter appointed by the MAEC (Spanish Foreign Office). I am looking for any information regarding job opportunities in the translating/interpreting field, specially in big cities such as Ottawa, Québec, Vancouver or Toronto.

Is it essential to a member of the Canadian Translators and Interpreters Council to work for a translation agency? Do you know any Spanish translator who is working either for an agency/company or as a freelance in Canada? As I have noticed, it is very difficult to be sponsored by a company in order to get a working visa from Spain, but there might be some ways I am unaware of...

I would be very grateful for any advice or help you may provide me.

Best regards,

Sofía Álvarez Conde
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Canadian certification Jan 24, 2010

I reckon a wise move would be to seek certification in the Canadian translation associations. You have more information here. Although it is not a must to be certified, I reckon, it might open a lot of doors.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
My experience... Jan 24, 2010

I emigrated to Canada several years ago, and I subsequently acquired Canadian citizenship.
The first thing to know is that it is not absolutely necessary to have an employer sponsor you to emigrate. The immigration system for "independent" applicants (people who have no sponsors, relatives, fiances, etc.) is based on a points system which grade your age, education, ability to Speak Canada's official languages and, more importantly, your profession. If there is a demand of your profession i
... See more
I emigrated to Canada several years ago, and I subsequently acquired Canadian citizenship.
The first thing to know is that it is not absolutely necessary to have an employer sponsor you to emigrate. The immigration system for "independent" applicants (people who have no sponsors, relatives, fiances, etc.) is based on a points system which grade your age, education, ability to Speak Canada's official languages and, more importantly, your profession. If there is a demand of your profession in Canada, if you score the minimum points required to be accepted as an immigrant, you are in good health, have no criminal record and pay the application fees, you would most probably receive an immigrant visa, even though this process might take over a year depending on the country from which you are applying.

If you are thinking of moving to Quebec, then the Quebec government has the first saying on whether they will accept your application or not. Applications should be sent to the Delegation de Quebec, and not the Canadian Embassy or consulate. The Delegation will then forward the application to the Embassy if they deem it acceptable. Once you enter Canada as an immigrant, you can settle in any province of your choice. Yu can find information on these processes on the Canadian Embassy and Delegation de Quebec webpages.

It is not necessary to be a member of the CTIC or any other provincial organization to work as a translator/interpreter, even though it would be highly recommendable. Also, at first, it might be easier to find direct clients than trying to work for agencies.

They way I did it is, as soon as I arrived, I started working in an administrative position for an international organization (this position I found by sending resumes to a lot of organizations/ companies). I also applied to the OTTIAQ (Ordre des Traducteurs, Terminologues et Interpretes du Quebec), and became a member. Translation clients started coming in little by little. When I felt I had a strong client base, I left my job at the international organization and became a full time translator, which is what I do until now.

Good luck with your plans!

[Edited at 2010-01-24 18:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job opportunities in Canada - Spanish translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »