https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_canada/144559-question_about_an_agency.html&phpv_redirected=1

Question about an Agency
Thread poster: Christian Alkemper
Christian Alkemper
Christian Alkemper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:29
English to German
+ ...
Sep 4, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am a translator in Germany and have frequently worked for an agency from Montreal during the last 7-8 years. In that time, the agency always paid me more or less timely; in April, however, they stopped paying. I called them up, and they said they were in trouble because two major clients had changed to other providers; because they stated that their solvency problem would be sorted out quite soon, we agreed about an instalment plan—I had no reason not to trust t
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am a translator in Germany and have frequently worked for an agency from Montreal during the last 7-8 years. In that time, the agency always paid me more or less timely; in April, however, they stopped paying. I called them up, and they said they were in trouble because two major clients had changed to other providers; because they stated that their solvency problem would be sorted out quite soon, we agreed about an instalment plan—I had no reason not to trust them. Needless to say I never got my money.

Meanwhile, the e-mail messages I've sent them are not read nor answered, and calling there always gets me to the answering machine. Therefore, I am not even sure whether they are still going. So I have the following questions and would be glad if someone could answer some or all of them:

1) How can I find out whether the agency is still going?
2) If not (that is, they are bankrupt), what is the standard way of getting at least some of my money? I've heard of the "Small Claims Court"—is this the correct approach?
3) Is there a governmental body where I can check about the agency's status?
4) Have you got any more tips or advice?

We're talking about 4500 USD here, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Christian Alkemper

[Edited at 2009-09-05 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about an Agency

Translation news in Canada

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »