French Canadian dilemma telephone handle - pass
Thread poster: Accent Network
Accent Network
Accent Network
United States
English to Spanish
May 22, 2009

Hello,

I have a small dilemma and I'm trying to figure out who's right and who's not.

Once upon a time there was an English IVR script with the following prompt:
Just answer my questions by speaking into your phone and I’ll help you place your order. You can speak at your normal pace – and feel free to interrupt as soon as you want to respond.

that was translated into French Canadian as follows:
Répondez simplement à mes questions en pa
... See more
Hello,

I have a small dilemma and I'm trying to figure out who's right and who's not.

Once upon a time there was an English IVR script with the following prompt:
Just answer my questions by speaking into your phone and I’ll help you place your order. You can speak at your normal pace – and feel free to interrupt as soon as you want to respond.

that was translated into French Canadian as follows:
Répondez simplement à mes questions en parlant dans votre combiné et je vais vous aider à passer votre commande.

yet the talent who was to record the script said if she heard that sentence when calling, she would understand:
Simply answer my questions by speaking into the HANDLE of your phone and I will help you PASS your order

so... what gives?

who's right? is the French Ca translation wrong? is the voice talent just being difficult?

thanks so much in advance for helping me sort this out.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 02:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I understand it to mean what it says May 22, 2009

I see no problem with this translation. Does the talent have an alternative to suggest?
Nancy

Accent Network
Accent Network
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
alternative May 22, 2009

no, she did not as far as I know. I thought that perhaps in Canada there was another way of saying it and that's why she complained, but I'm totally ignorant on the issue.
Thanks for shedding some light, Nancy.

Skatrine
Skatrine
Canada
English to French
Combiné is never used in spoken Québec French May 22, 2009

Educated people may understand the word when they read it in context but it would be better to drop it entirely and just say «Répondez simplement à mes questions...» If you're on the phone, you naturally assume you have to speak into the phone, not to your toaster.

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
I agree May 23, 2009

I would also drop entirely the "parlez dans votre combiné" part.
Other than that, I see no problem with using the word combiné.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Retour May 23, 2009

Indeed the parlez dans votre combiné part is superfluous. As Skatrine says, you're using your phone to make the call - obviously you're going to be talking into it. However it is not unintelligible as it stands. Cf Québec-Amérique: Combiné: n.m. Partie d'un appareil téléphonique réunissant le microphone et l'écouteur. Elle reposa le combiné avec douceur.

But your second question, passer votre commande, is the way to translate Place your order. One ne peut pas placer une com
... See more
Indeed the parlez dans votre combiné part is superfluous. As Skatrine says, you're using your phone to make the call - obviously you're going to be talking into it. However it is not unintelligible as it stands. Cf Québec-Amérique: Combiné: n.m. Partie d'un appareil téléphonique réunissant le microphone et l'écouteur. Elle reposa le combiné avec douceur.

But your second question, passer votre commande, is the way to translate Place your order. One ne peut pas placer une commande en français. Cf. Dico Québec-Amérique: Placer: formes fautives: 2) Placer une commande. Calque de To place an order pour Commander, Passer une commande.
Nancy

[Edited at 2009-05-23 12:36 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
In any case... May 24, 2009

The word "combiné" doesn't mean a handle - it means the piece on your phone that you use both to hear and to talk, i.e., the speaker and the microphone combined in one piece of equipment. That is probably why it is called a "combiné"...

Accent Network
Accent Network
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! May 26, 2009

Thanks everyone for your insight on this issue. It has been most useful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Canadian dilemma telephone handle - pass

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »