Subhan Fakhrizada
Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:58
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Dec 18, 2008

Hello,

I just came across this article in Ottawa Citizen, and thought it might be of interest to colleagues in Canada...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Lost%20translation%20police%20allege/1084126/story.html

Regards,
Subhan

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Interesting article, but I can't help but wondering... Dec 18, 2008

How can a freelancer lose $100.000 during the course of several years and still continue working for this "outsourcer"? (And I thought, I was the laziest invoice writer on this planet.)

"Mr. Tremblay, a veteran Montreal translator, said he lost about $100,000. Several cheques bounced when he worked for Mr. Whelan between 2001 and 2004, he said. "At first, he was paying OK, but some cheques were bouncing back and came
... See more
How can a freelancer lose $100.000 during the course of several years and still continue working for this "outsourcer"? (And I thought, I was the laziest invoice writer on this planet.)

"Mr. Tremblay, a veteran Montreal translator, said he lost about $100,000. Several cheques bounced when he worked for Mr. Whelan between 2001 and 2004, he said. "At first, he was paying OK, but some cheques were bouncing back and came back NSF quite often," Mr. Tremblay said."

Also, how is it possible that a person doesn't notice that checks have been bouncing?

It is unfortunate that such minor details take all the credibility out of this article, as much as I would like to see such crooks behind bars.

Regards,

Nicole
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a problem, the suspect declares bankruptcy... Dec 18, 2008

...and usually gets away with it. We see this every day. He surely has the money.... hidden somewhere. How stupid can our society be? I sincerely hope he ends up behind bars for quite a while.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:58
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i've been hearing about this guy... Jan 1, 2009

but seriously, I check my bank statements regularly. I don't mean to malign mr tremblay, but how can you let so much time go by and not know?

alas, we are all vulnerable. When I worked as a freelance journalist, there were just as many scammers out there. At least that gave me a bit of an education. I got screwed a few times by people who seemed 'honest' and even the best of us can be blindsided.

During the summer and until late oct. I was working on a translation/edit
... See more
but seriously, I check my bank statements regularly. I don't mean to malign mr tremblay, but how can you let so much time go by and not know?

alas, we are all vulnerable. When I worked as a freelance journalist, there were just as many scammers out there. At least that gave me a bit of an education. I got screwed a few times by people who seemed 'honest' and even the best of us can be blindsided.

During the summer and until late oct. I was working on a translation/editing project for a magazine. I got paid as did the other translator. However, the agency did not get paid. The Editor of this magazine has refused payment and her phone calls and emails have been unanswered. However, their office is in the city and I told her I'd go with her to meet with them; failing that, she is planning to go to court.

Apparently this is the third translation agency they've screwed. SHe said had she known she'd never have had anything to do with them, but it's not like pulling up their criminal record. And she's very experienced, smart...but these folks are con artists.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »