Thread poster: Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Australia
Local time: 06:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2019

When I send PDF file to client, I always encrypt the file with password while allow high resolution printing. In this way, the stamp cannot be copied/pasted. Recently a client asked me to provide an unencrypted file because the government department did not accept encrypted file. I felt it was hard to believe. Anyway, I printed the file to PDF and lost some resolution.
Today I opened my encrypted pdf and used screen capture app to crop the stamp. To my surprise, it can be easily done with
... See more
When I send PDF file to client, I always encrypt the file with password while allow high resolution printing. In this way, the stamp cannot be copied/pasted. Recently a client asked me to provide an unencrypted file because the government department did not accept encrypted file. I felt it was hard to believe. Anyway, I printed the file to PDF and lost some resolution.
Today I opened my encrypted pdf and used screen capture app to crop the stamp. To my surprise, it can be easily done without any difficulty. So the encryption doesn’t really do much to protect the stamp’s security. Of course, the encrypted file itself cannot be altered or tampered, but the fact that the stamp can be copied and used elsewhere is still a concern.
Any input?
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

My opinion Jan 29, 2019

Falsifying documents is a serious offence in Australia.

I think if anyone attempted forging our NAATI stamp (including our name/signature/number) they're risking serious criminal repercussions.

[Edited at 2019-01-29 01:48 GMT]

Rosalind Walsh

Jiaying Ma
Jiaying Ma
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
a translation agency told me that always convert the file into PDF Jan 29, 2019

Even though you still can't guarantee your stamp is safe.
I don't think there's much you can do about it other than be careful of the people you deal with.

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:20
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Digital is never completely safe... nothing is in fact Jan 29, 2019

Anyone could simply take a screenshot of the stamp and rework it with any image tool.... or even more simply take a photo of it... a more secure solution is digital certificates but this is another technical investment

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

History Jan 29, 2019

Has there ever been a case of someone's NAATI stamp being forged?

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Forgeries abound Jan 29, 2019

In 2015, a Chinese eCommerce company forged my NAATI stamp (and signature) and sold "official translation" of Chinese driving licence to people travelling to Aust.

I am aware at least two translators based in Brisbane also had their stamps and signatures forged by a few "T-mall" (Chinese eBay) vendors around the same time.

I didn't know this until a few people in China found my contact details on NAATI website and called me to verify the product they had purchased.
... See more
In 2015, a Chinese eCommerce company forged my NAATI stamp (and signature) and sold "official translation" of Chinese driving licence to people travelling to Aust.

I am aware at least two translators based in Brisbane also had their stamps and signatures forged by a few "T-mall" (Chinese eBay) vendors around the same time.

I didn't know this until a few people in China found my contact details on NAATI website and called me to verify the product they had purchased.

NAATI didn't respond to me at all. AFP were not interested as it was a crime committed overseas although "we would very much like to go to China" to investigate it (and have a holiday).

Travellers use these DL translation to hire cars when they are in Aust.

It only stopped after I did certain things in China at my own expense. The baddies went unpunished at the end.

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

Has there ever been a case of someone's NAATI stamp being forged?

[Edited at 2019-01-29 06:17 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peng Jan 29, 2019

Peng Liu wrote:
When I send PDF file to client, I always encrypt the file with password while allow high resolution printing. In this way, the stamp cannot be copied/pasted.

Whenever I send a PDF that I have "signed" by pasting a watermark of my signature (using the PDF editor's "stamp" feature), I print the PDF to PDF using e.g. doPDF, i.e. I convert it to the type of PDF where you can't select text. It does result in a larger file, unfortunately. Super high resolution printing isn't necessary for documents that will be printed to A4 by a private client or a lawyer's office. These guys often receive stuff by fax, so they don't care that much about resolution. Besides, if you send them a hard copy and they use their own scanner to scan it, they'll likely scan it at something like 200 dpi (or 300 at most), for speed.

[Edited at 2019-01-29 06:42 GMT]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Forgeries etc. Jan 29, 2019

In my case, the offending eCommerce vendor simply made a rubber stamp costing $5 and then stamped away to their heart's content. It's much easier than cropping, copying and pasting.

I have stopped spending time on useless practices like password protecting my documents (unless it's a delivery requirement). One can crack any PDF passwor
... See more
In my case, the offending eCommerce vendor simply made a rubber stamp costing $5 and then stamped away to their heart's content. It's much easier than cropping, copying and pasting.

I have stopped spending time on useless practices like password protecting my documents (unless it's a delivery requirement). One can crack any PDF password with a $25 program (http://www.pdfunlockers.com/purchase.html) and every translator should have one. It's so convenient when a stupid client can't tell you what the password is.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I see their point Jan 29, 2019

QUOI wrote:

AFP were not interested as it was a crime committed overseas although "we would very much like to go to China" to investigate it (and have a holiday).

You should have contacted the police in China (Fraud Investigation unit or something like that). I can't see how AFP could have helped you, however I must admit that it is quite alarming that NAATI did not respond at all.

Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Australia
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ecopy has no real security Jan 29, 2019

PDF copy has no real security. You may encrypt with pass or certificate or watermark it. However, there are always tools to crack and as long as it appears on screen, a simple screen capture tool will copy/save the content, then it is up to the offenders to PS.

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Chinese
Not much you can do Feb 5, 2019

Ordinary folk regularly receive emails/phone calls from impostors who claim to be from banks, courts, law enforcement authorities, government, police, etc., and nobody can do anything about it. So reporting to authorities that somebody is carrying out an apparently victimless fraud to the tune of about $10 (and it is not even your $10) by pretending to be you - a translator (not Microsoft or Telstra), probably the case won't be treated as a top priority.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Security of NAATI stamp

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »