New Argentine Drivers Licenses
Thread poster: Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Local time: 23:48
Spanish to English
Jan 27, 2019

Hi Everyone

I translate a lot (ie. over 50 a year) drivers licenses from Argentina. I've just had two of new licenses come through and it seems they now have English on them, as well as Spanish. For example, the license will have:

Apellido/Surname:
Donante/Donor:

The only part that isn't translated is the license class: ie. B1. Cars, vans, utilities up to 3500kg.

I wonder if these documents still need to be translated. For passports I tel
... See more
Hi Everyone

I translate a lot (ie. over 50 a year) drivers licenses from Argentina. I've just had two of new licenses come through and it seems they now have English on them, as well as Spanish. For example, the license will have:

Apellido/Surname:
Donante/Donor:

The only part that isn't translated is the license class: ie. B1. Cars, vans, utilities up to 3500kg.

I wonder if these documents still need to be translated. For passports I tell my clients they don't need them translated because the English is already on the document.

What do you think? I was going to call the police and ask for a "ruling" as I don't want to charge clients for work they don't need done.

Thoughts?
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I would say yes Jan 28, 2019

Ukrainian driver's licenses (the international ones) have all the text in English except for 1-2 words, yet, the authorities expect them to be translated by a NAATI certified translator.

Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Written to the RTA Jan 28, 2019

Thanks - I have written to the RTA asking for clarification. I'll let you know what I find out!

Rosalind

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Different states, different rules Jan 28, 2019

Hi Rosalind,

In Victoria a translation with a current NAATI stamp is needed for any foreign licence which includes a LOTE.

However, I have been told that in NSW the transport authorities demand all translations of Driver Licences to be done through Multicultural NSW, so it is probably a good idea to get the RMS (ex RTO) to give you a rundown of the rules.

And, yes, please let us know what they tell you!

Cheers,
Anna

Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from RMS NSW Feb 7, 2019

Thanks everyone - here is the reply from RMS NSW:

Thank you for contacting Roads and Maritime Services with your query.

I am advised the front of the Argentine licence you have attached meets the legislation for use while driving in NSW on an overseas licence, ( https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html ) although the rear does not.... See more
Thanks everyone - here is the reply from RMS NSW:

Thank you for contacting Roads and Maritime Services with your query.

I am advised the front of the Argentine licence you have attached meets the legislation for use while driving in NSW on an overseas licence, ( https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html ) although the rear does not.

Therefore it would require translation to meet legislation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Argentine Drivers Licenses

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »