Jeremy_Chen
Jeremy_Chen
Australia
Local time: 16:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 8, 2015

Hi,

I'm preparing for my next NAATI revalidation (Jan 2016). I'm a full-time high school teacher so it can be a struggle to meet all the requirements.

I've received a lot of PD information from Language Experts but they are not cheap. I have a lot of PDs in teaching so I know the importance of PDs and it's fair to pay for what you get. However, I would like to see if I can work with my colleagues to fulfill some of the requirements. I live in Mount Eliza, near Frankston
... See more
Hi,

I'm preparing for my next NAATI revalidation (Jan 2016). I'm a full-time high school teacher so it can be a struggle to meet all the requirements.

I've received a lot of PD information from Language Experts but they are not cheap. I have a lot of PDs in teaching so I know the importance of PDs and it's fair to pay for what you get. However, I would like to see if I can work with my colleagues to fulfill some of the requirements. I live in Mount Eliza, near Frankston, but I'm happy to travel to the Melbourne city to verify self-directed learning activities. Ideally, I'll reciprocate for you.

I also work as a teacher's trainer but after reading the revalidation criteria, I cannot really run workshops / training sessions as an individual so I am trying to rejoin Ausit and hopefully either receiving some training from them or run some workshops for them.

If you know anyone is interested or in the same position, I'm looking forward to meeting them.

Happy browsing.
Jeremy
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some ideas Apr 8, 2015

Hi Jeremy,

Just a couple of ideas.

First of all, from what I can see AUSIT hosts several PD events in Melbourne. I do not think they are very expensive.
See more
Hi Jeremy,

Just a couple of ideas.

First of all, from what I can see AUSIT hosts several PD events in Melbourne. I do not think they are very expensive.
http://ausit.org/AUSIT/Professional_Development/PD_Events/AUSIT/Events/Events_Calendar.aspx?hkey=14bd5dd5-ddb8-47cc-ae59-9f94f92a6f0a

Secondly, I am presenting at NZSTI's conference this year, and I think this could be another good option for a colleague who is looking for some PD activities. Conference will give you 80 points.
The airfare does not look bad, the registration fee is really modest (175 NZD), and it is during the school holiday time:).
http://nzsti-conference.org/

Regards,

Vanda
Collapse

Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:24
Member (2004)
German to English
Webinars a good source of PD Apr 8, 2015

Hi Jeremy, there are so many webinars available online nowadays, would that not be a good option to gain some points? Try ... See more
Hi Jeremy, there are so many webinars available online nowadays, would that not be a good option to gain some points? Try www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk, www.alexandria-translation-resources.com, www.atanet.org/webinars/ - often past webinars are available on demand. Plenty of PD material on Proz.com too in the form of videos etc. It is difficult for us in Australia to access live PD events but as Vanda pointed out, AUSIT does offer regular events (usually open to non-members as well) that are not expensive. There are often free presentations on translation and interpreting at various universities, I am sure in the past I have heard of various courses/sessions at Monash.

Best of luck.
Patricia Will
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for NAATI peers to verify self-directed learning activities

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »