Prerna Bakshi (X)
Prerna Bakshi (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:41
Hindi to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am based in Canberra and work as an interpreter for TIS. I have been interpreting for quite some time now and just realized that I have to apply for revalidation soon. I am not sure if anyone has looked into a NAATI revalidation criteria posted on NAATI website. I am struggling to gain points on the second section of "Ethics of the profession", interpreters are required to have minimum of 30 points, now the problem is that there have not been many workshops in Canberr
... See more
Hi Everyone,

I am based in Canberra and work as an interpreter for TIS. I have been interpreting for quite some time now and just realized that I have to apply for revalidation soon. I am not sure if anyone has looked into a NAATI revalidation criteria posted on NAATI website. I am struggling to gain points on the second section of "Ethics of the profession", interpreters are required to have minimum of 30 points, now the problem is that there have not been many workshops in Canberra that I could have attended to, the fact that I have a family and also studying at the same time does not make it easier. Therefore, the only logical option that I can get advantage of is this...:

"Self-directed learning activities such as writing or reading articles on ethics, engaging in ethics debates, or other PD activities with a high ethical emphasis. Evidence through confirmation by a peer 10 points). Evidence in the form of a written report of about 700 words: 20 points."

Now, my problem is how do I go about getting someone who can confirm my contribution towards writing on ethics or debates about ethics, etc. as I would be more than happy to do so. At first I thought, it would have been good if there was a forum directed at "ethics of the Interpreting profession" that way atleast I could have contributed something but unfortunately, I don't think there is any on Proz. Also, it would have been good as I believe ethics do make for an important topic to be included on proz as it can help people know about the profession as well as help those who would be taking the test soon, not to mention encourage interpreters like us to share insights on Proz so we can learn from each others' experiences. It's just a suggestion:)

As for my problem, I am quite confused as to how to go about it. I don't want to give away something that I have worked so hard for and something that I love doing so much... for mere 30 points. So, I thought I'd share here and perhaps some one can give me some ideas as to how to go about it.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
NAATI revalidation deferred for another 12 months Nov 7, 2010

According to NAATI, any accreditation or recognition due to expire on or before 30 June 2011 will have the expiry date deferred for a further 12 months.

Here is the link: http://goo.gl/jmDsy

I am not sure if this is applicable to your situation.

Don't think the system will ever take off as this is such a lousy idea.

[Edited at 2010-11-07 12:26 GMT]

Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:41
Member (2004)
German to English
NAATI revalidation Nov 28, 2010

That's right, the revalidation scheme has been postponed. The ethics component, and the points needed for it, can be problematic. I understand that NAATI offers an online course, which, though tedious, would at least give you some points.

You should have attended the recent AUSIT conference in WA - lots of sessions on ethics there! I appreciate it's difficult as there may not be a lot of workshops available. Maybe you can find something else online via some of the other professi
... See more
That's right, the revalidation scheme has been postponed. The ethics component, and the points needed for it, can be problematic. I understand that NAATI offers an online course, which, though tedious, would at least give you some points.

You should have attended the recent AUSIT conference in WA - lots of sessions on ethics there! I appreciate it's difficult as there may not be a lot of workshops available. Maybe you can find something else online via some of the other professional assocations like the ITI or ATA.

Trish Will
Collapse

David Greenaway
David Greenaway  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
German to English
NAAI revalidation Jun 13, 2012

Like Prerna posted some time ago, I'm trying to build up my points for NAATI revalidation. Does anyone know of any seminars/workshops coming up that may be useful? They could be on ethics or any other translation related topic.
Cheers

Patricia Will
Australia
Member (2004)
German to English
revalidation points Jun 13, 2012

Contact your local branch of AUSIT for forthcoming events (https://sites.google.com/site/ausitnsw/) or look at the AUSIT website for details of PD activities, including future and previous webinars, which you can buy as a recording (www.ausit.org). The professional associations ATA and ITI, and ecpdwebinars.co.uk are... See more
Contact your local branch of AUSIT for forthcoming events (https://sites.google.com/site/ausitnsw/) or look at the AUSIT website for details of PD activities, including future and previous webinars, which you can buy as a recording (www.ausit.org). The professional associations ATA and ITI, and ecpdwebinars.co.uk are all good sources of webinars on professional ethics and various other topics for translators and interpreters. The AUSIT conference will be in Sydney 1-3 December and offers a great opportunity for extensive professional development (www.ausitconference.org).

Hope this helps.
Trish Will
Collapse

Marcia R Pinheiro
Marcia R Pinheiro
Australia
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Syndicate Jun 13, 2012

We are trying to start a Syndicate here, in Australia. Problem has been numbers at the meetings so far.
I completely disagree with all these new rules for revalidation. The Syndicate, if we ever succeeded in getting enough people attending the meetings (to satisfy legal requirements), enough people in at the same time, would obviously try to find a way of stopping this.

Patricia Will
Australia
Member (2004)
German to English
Syndicate? Jun 13, 2012

By syndicate do you mean something like a trade union or lobbying group? If so you may want to know that thanks to the efforts of a group of interpreters and translators in Victoria the association APESMA, which represents a wide range of professionals, has recently offered to represent translators and interpreters concerned about pay and working c... See more
By syndicate do you mean something like a trade union or lobbying group? If so you may want to know that thanks to the efforts of a group of interpreters and translators in Victoria the association APESMA, which represents a wide range of professionals, has recently offered to represent translators and interpreters concerned about pay and working conditions. http://www.apesma.com.au/groups/translators-and-interpreters/

There is strength in numbers, so perhaps you might want to get involved with this group.

HTH
Trish Will
Collapse

Sally Thompson (X)
Sally Thompson (X)
Zambia
Local time: 22:41
Chinese to English
Similar dilemma re NAATI points Jul 10, 2012

Hi all,

I have a similar dilemma re acquiring enough NAATI revalidation points (I just found out recently that my validation expires next January).

My situation is complicated by the fact that I'm living in Zambia - I want to keep my NAATI accreditation because there is no similar body here in Zambia, but it looks like it will be very difficult to do without being in Australia.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sally

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Ausit's eCPD Jul 13, 2012

I seem to recall that Ausit offers (or at least offered) eCPD which you can participate online and claim CPD points.

Sally Thompson wrote:

Hi all,

I have a similar dilemma re acquiring enough NAATI revalidation points (I just found out recently that my validation expires next January).

My situation is complicated by the fact that I'm living in Zambia - I want to keep my NAATI accreditation because there is no similar body here in Zambia, but it looks like it will be very difficult to do without being in Australia.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sally

Silvia Zele
Silvia Zele  Identity Verified
Australia
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Peer confirmation Jul 13, 2012

"Self-directed learning activities such as writing or reading articles on ethics, engaging in ethics debates, or other PD activities with a high ethical emphasis. Evidence through confirmation by a peer 10 points). Evidence in the form of a written report of about 700 words: 20 points."
Does this allow you to translate a document and have the translation confirmed by a peer for 10 points? Alternatively, are you allowed to summarise an artic
... See more
Does this allow you to translate a document and have the translation confirmed by a peer for 10 points? Alternatively, are you allowed to summarise an article/book/website/presentation/speech/podcast (http://www.ted.com/search?q=ethics) in 700 words for 20 points? If it were possible, it would be time consuming, but it would at least increase the range of things you could do to get points. Fields: medicine, education, business, translation, interpreting, marketing, environment, etc.
Collapse

keepdancing
keepdancing  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Revalidation is Now! Jul 18, 2012

I submitted my application for revalidation anyway. I hope that my activities at ProZ.com may count in the calculation of points. I have not joined AUSIT yet because, you know, all these memberships cost money. AUSIT membership fee is another 200 AUD or something close. There is the membership fee for TranslatorBase, etc.

With regard to self-directed study of ethics, I simply put my study of the contracts with translation and interpretation agencies/companies as part of the activit
... See more
I submitted my application for revalidation anyway. I hope that my activities at ProZ.com may count in the calculation of points. I have not joined AUSIT yet because, you know, all these memberships cost money. AUSIT membership fee is another 200 AUD or something close. There is the membership fee for TranslatorBase, etc.

With regard to self-directed study of ethics, I simply put my study of the contracts with translation and interpretation agencies/companies as part of the activities since such contracts contain the ethics part.

Since this is the very first time for every translator and interpreter to revalidate their accreditation, I am of the view that NAATI should bear in mind that none of us are familiar with their formalities and procedures and show sufficient flexibilities and considerations if they do not want the number of unemployed to go up.

Cheers!
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Membership fees Jul 19, 2012

Are all tax deductible. Thought I mention this.

keepdancing wrote:

Cheers!

mh1019
mh1019  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Korean
+ ...
I found one on youtube. Feb 27, 2015

I am also struggling to get points for this revalidation scheme as I don't have much time to attend workshops and seminars.

I found that the videos on http://ecpdwebinars.co.uk/ are very useful but they are about 30 pounds per hour and I'll have to pay more than 100 pounds to get enough points.

Then, I thought about free videos on youtube and searched "code of ethics ausit" then found
... See more
I am also struggling to get points for this revalidation scheme as I don't have much time to attend workshops and seminars.

I found that the videos on http://ecpdwebinars.co.uk/ are very useful but they are about 30 pounds per hour and I'll have to pay more than 100 pounds to get enough points.

Then, I thought about free videos on youtube and searched "code of ethics ausit" then found this 1.5 hour free webinar video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdOYHMeXP8
I'm still looking for more videos but it certainly helps! I think using youtube.com for more webinars is a great idea! Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revalidation Points Dilemma

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »