TM-Town on holiday: traffic forecast?
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 03:05
Feb 20, 2017

Would TM-Town.com be a good way to use a low budget computer with no more than 4 GB RAM on holidays? E.g. with CafeTran with integrated support for TM-Town.com.

CafeTran needs extra RAM to have full access to the TUs in the TM. Perhaps TM-Town.com can be used to reduce the amount of RA
... See more
Would TM-Town.com be a good way to use a low budget computer with no more than 4 GB RAM on holidays? E.g. with CafeTran with integrated support for TM-Town.com.

CafeTran needs extra RAM to have full access to the TUs in the TM. Perhaps TM-Town.com can be used to reduce the amount of RAM needed? I'm referring to:

https://www.tm-town.com/getting-started#cafe-tran-integration

I'd also like to know how much traffic will be generated by this approach. Is this something you can do with a typical bad, shared internet connection on the camping? Or with a USB dongle for a flat rate with Vodafone etc.?
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 10:05
TM-Town Lite Feb 20, 2017

Hi Hans,

Yes, I think this would be an option. It is going to depend on your Internet speed, however, CafeTran is only making a simple API call to TM-Town so the size of the request and response should be rather small (it's only text).

Additionally, if you are not using CafeTran and you are camping and want to search what you have uploaded to TM-Town I would recommend usi
... See more
Hi Hans,

Yes, I think this would be an option. It is going to depend on your Internet speed, however, CafeTran is only making a simple API call to TM-Town so the size of the request and response should be rather small (it's only text).

Additionally, if you are not using CafeTran and you are camping and want to search what you have uploaded to TM-Town I would recommend using TM-Town's "Lite" version. https://www.tm-town.com/lite/search

It doesn't have autosuggest search or highlighting, but it is a very small page size meant for those using screen readers or with poor internet connection.

Kevin
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Concordance search only Feb 20, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:
...it's only text

As far as I remember, this means you can do a concordance search only. No fuzziness, no Auto-Assembly.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town on holiday: traffic forecast?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »