Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
ProZ.com is acquiring TM-Town
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:32
SITE FOUNDER
Apr 13, 2016

I am pleased to announce that ProZ.com is acquiring TM-Town.com.

See: http://www.proz.com/about/tm_town_acquisition/

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:32
German to English
Will privacy still be protected? Apr 13, 2016

Will the TMs/work uploaded still be private and protected?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Data to remain private Apr 13, 2016

Roy Williams wrote:
Will the TMs/work uploaded still be private and protected?

Yes, TM-Town's condidentiality policies will not change, the data is completely private (and unused). See the FAQ on the acquisition: http://www.proz.com/about/tm_town_acquisition/faq

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Czech to English
+ ...
Finally out of the closet Apr 13, 2016

I think many of us suspected this long ago, despite the denials. Congratulations, you two Japanese-studying, similarly-aged, don't-know-each-other entrepreneurs!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 13, 2016

Stuart Hoskins wrote:

I think many of us suspected this long ago, despite the denials. Congratulations, you two Japanese-studying, similarly-aged, don't-know-each-other entrepreneurs!

It is sort of funny, the coincidences. (And there are more.) Kevin's much younger than me though.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Congrats Apr 13, 2016

Henri and Kevin. Good for the two of you. And us.

Cheers,

Hans

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Congratulations Apr 13, 2016

Good move, but just wondering, will everything stay the same for us, or are there going to be mayor changes?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
Congrats Apr 13, 2016

The two sites -- ProZ.com and TM-Town.com -- will continue to exist separately. By acquiring ownership of a company serving the same customers, but with a different and complementary technology and approach, ProZ.com puts itself in a position to offer a more comprehensive service. In the short term, a joint membership will be offered at the two sites. Over time, additional possible syn... See more

The two sites -- ProZ.com and TM-Town.com -- will continue to exist separately. By acquiring ownership of a company serving the same customers, but with a different and complementary technology and approach, ProZ.com puts itself in a position to offer a more comprehensive service. In the short term, a joint membership will be offered at the two sites. Over time, additional possible synergies will be explored.

We can log in with our ProZ account but I see that we have to purchase a professional account for "Directory Boost". $15/monthly, even for full members of ProZ?
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 13, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

The two sites -- ProZ.com and TM-Town.com -- will continue to exist separately. By acquiring ownership of a company serving the same customers, but with a different and complementary technology and approach, ProZ.com puts itself in a position to offer a more comprehensive service. In the short term, a joint membership will be offered at the two sites. Over time, additional possible synergies will be explored.

We can log in with our ProZ account but I see that we have to purchase a professional account for "Directory Boost". $15/monthly, even for full members of ProZ?

It will be less, but we don't have an offer on that yet. For now, the only offer we have prepared is the initial promotion that ProZ.com members get the "Starter" membership ($48/year) for free. We'll put together an offer for the upgrade soon.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks Apr 13, 2016

Updating my profile page here at ProZ was much easier. KudoZ points were essential here but it seems uploaded TMs will make a difference for our ranking at TM-Town. Confidentiality matters for some professionals. Hope the site is bug-free.

------------------

I am displayed on page 9, in other words I have no chance to find new clients there. I will delete my account at TM-Town and continue only with ProZ.

[Edited at 2016-04-13 11:42 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Matching Apr 13, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
I am displayed on page 9, in other words I have no chance to find new clients there. I will delete my account at TM-Town and continue only with ProZ.

I would encourage you not to make judgments too quickly. You understand KudoZ and directory position, but matching works differently at TM-Town, with Nakodo and all that. Personally, I would say that more data is required before we can draw any firm conclusions.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
I will give it another chance but later Apr 13, 2016

I believe it will be success story (like ProZ), but ranking is important for us translators to find new clients. So I will give it another chance later if our KudoZ contributions help there too.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Good thinking Apr 13, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I believe it will be success story (like ProZ), but ranking is important for us translators to find new clients. So I will give it another chance later if our KudoZ contributions help there too.

This is something we will look at. As mentioned in the FAQ, any ideas on this or other possible functional integrations would be welcome.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
On site changes Apr 13, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Good move, but just wondering, will everything stay the same for us, or are there going to be mayor changes?

Here is how we put it in the FAQ:

What changes to either site, if any, can I expect from this deal?

Both TM-Town and ProZ.com will continue to offer all of their existing services and features. Over time, sensible functional integrations between the two sites may be explored. Please let us know if you have ideas for improving either service through combined functionality.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com is acquiring TM-Town

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »