Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
What could you tell me about TM-Town?
Thread poster: Carolina Garrido
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:18
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Serena and Tom Feb 2, 2016

Thanks Henry but on my profile, in "Owner" view. all the sample translations in my portfolio have vanished, the little +/- box is dead, and the option to "hide this" (TM Town) is greyed out and doesn't do anything

Thanks, Serena and Tom. Sorry for the trouble. We'll get it fixed.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK now? Feb 2, 2016

Is it ok now? Sounds like some HTML was broken.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:18
English to Italian
Nope. Feb 2, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Still not working for me in "owner view". Working in "visitor view".

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Unfortunately, not working yet! Feb 2, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Still not working for me in "owner view". Working in "visitor view".

Thanks for your help, Henry

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope Feb 3, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Nope- still as before

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Help! - My barge-pole's too short. Feb 3, 2016

Kevin Dias wrote (on 24 Jan, page 1 of this thread), with my emphasis:
We have tried to make it very clear in our Terms of Service that your work is your work and it stays private and in your control.

Francesca Collodo wrote (on 25 Jan, page 3 of this thread), with my emphasis:
... However what I can say so far is, that I have purchased some great termbases from there, for next to nothing, which have paid for themselves in probably under an hour, ...

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a longer barge-pole, please?

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 07:18
Before you trade your barge-pole for a pitchfork... Feb 4, 2016

Hi Robin,

Translators can sell their terminology glossaries* on the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace if they so choose - which was what Francesca was referring to. This doesn't do anything to change the fact that your work is your work and it stays private and in your control.

Links for your refe
... See more
Hi Robin,

Translators can sell their terminology glossaries* on the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace if they so choose - which was what Francesca was referring to. This doesn't do anything to change the fact that your work is your work and it stays private and in your control.

Links for your reference:
Terminology Marketplace FAQ and Seller Guidelines
TM-Town Terminology Marketplace Launch (explanatory blog post)
Sell Your Glossaries (explanatory blog post)

* Only terminology glossaries are allowed to be sold on the marketplace, no translation memory files or other file types. This is mainly due to the fact that copyright laws are more clear concerning terminology glossaries.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Now possible to hide export option Feb 10, 2016

Hi folks,

Just to circle back on this topic, it is now possible to remove the TM-Town export option from your profile. (So that even you do not see it.)

Henry

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Finding clients through TM-Town Mar 15, 2016

I was "away" for 3 months, so sorry for opening this thread again, but I am curious.

I just had a look at their last webinar, and it almost looks too good to be true. So, I wonder, does TM-Town lives up to its promises?" In short, did anybody find work through TM-Town?

If so, isn't TM-Town making it more complex (expensive) for us to find jobs? Let me explain. My situation now is that I am contacted directly, but when those clients are going to TM-Town, I will loose th
... See more
I was "away" for 3 months, so sorry for opening this thread again, but I am curious.

I just had a look at their last webinar, and it almost looks too good to be true. So, I wonder, does TM-Town lives up to its promises?" In short, did anybody find work through TM-Town?

If so, isn't TM-Town making it more complex (expensive) for us to find jobs? Let me explain. My situation now is that I am contacted directly, but when those clients are going to TM-Town, I will loose them. So in a way I am forced to register.

Collaborating on that, they have 3 tiers (free, 5$ p/m and 15$ p/m). When I understood the webinar correctly, the more TM's you upload, the more chance you have to be elected, which in the end means you have to go for the most expensive option to save all your work (the bonus is that you do get at the top of the list).

It is a free marked, but is TM-Town making it easier for us translators to find work, or are they fishing in the same pool of outsources who already know/knew how to find us?
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No answer yet...(Kevin?) Mar 15, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

If so, isn't TM-Town making it more complex (expensive) for us to find jobs? Let me explain. My situation now is that I am contacted directly, but when those clients are going to TM-Town, I will loose them. So in a way I am forced to register.

Collaborating on that, they have 3 tiers (free, 5$ p/m and 15$ p/m). When I understood the webinar correctly, the more TM's you upload, the more chance you have to be elected, which in the end means you have to go for the most expensive option to save all your work (the bonus is that you do get at the top of the list).

It is a free marked, but is TM-Town making it easier for us translators to find work, or are they fishing in the same pool of outsources who already know/knew how to find us?

Kevin, as you said in your webinar 'You are more than happy to answer any questions'. So please see my previous entry, and since nobody else is reacting, could you please shine a honest light on my doubts?

TM-Town looks, as I said before, to good to be true. Is it? (sorry for my scepticism, but I am Dutch).

And still hope to hear from 'happy clients'.

And out of curiosity, where did CafeTran come in?

[Edited at 2016-03-15 22:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-15 22:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-15 22:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-15 22:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-15 23:28 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
@Robert Mar 15, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your questions and thank you for taking the time to view our webinar. I'll give you my answers, but obviously those are bias, so hopefully your peers can chime in as well.

TM-Town is still young and growing. If you sign up with the expectation that you will suddenly have an inbox full of job offers then I think you will be disappointed. Our goal is to be able to connect you with 1 to 2 quality clients per year. We think that this is 1) a realistic goal 2) will give you a positive return on your investment.

There are translators who have been contacted by clients and found jobs on TM-Town and there are some that have not. There are some translators who have been with us since the beginning and have uploaded a lot of work but have not yet received a job message while there are other translators who have received a job message shortly after signing up and only uploading a few documents. There are also other translators who never received a job message through our system, but their client told them that they found them through TM-Town.

We are constantly working to increase the number of end clients and agencies that are using TM-Town to find clients as we want to be able to deliver for all translators that sign up for TM-Town. We've been growing the number of job messages month-by-month, but there is still a lot of work to do and room for improvement.

So to answer your question (from my perspective) "does TM-Town lives up to its promises? In short, did anybody find work through TM-Town?" - for some translators yes, for others not yet...but we are working tirelessly to live up to our promises for all translators.

To answer this question I would start by asking a question - the clients that are contacting you directly now, how are they finding you? Is it word of mouth? Is it your online presence? Something else?

To have a online presence such that clients are contacting you directly takes a lot of work and has a significant cost. Maybe you have a personal website, a blog to drive traffic to that website, etc. Your time has a cost, and the amount of time it takes to set up and maintain an online presence such that it is consistently finding you work is no easy feat. I would argue that sites such as TM-Town, ProZ, etc. make it less complex (expensive) to find jobs.

The benefit of something like TM-Town is that you can "set it and forget it". You set up your profile and load some work and then the system is continuously working for you - on the look out for jobs in your language pair / field of expertise.

You can get some pretty significant mileage from our free account. You could theoretically upload more than anyone has probably translated in a lifetime (with 20 documents, a translator could theoretically upload 20 Big Mama TMs). The segments wouldn't be indexed into your search*, but they would be available to help you get discovered through Nakōdo.

* The search I am referring to allows you to search your personal TMs and Terms either through the browser or one of our CAT tool extensions. This is separate from Nakōdo and finding clients. To provide this type of segment/term search has a more significant cost than just storing a document which is why we set limits for the different tiers for the number of segments/terms that get indexed into search.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Kevin Mar 16, 2016

Thank you for your answer. To answer your questions....

- "To answer this question I would start by asking a question - the clients that are contacting you directly now, how are they finding you? Is it word of mouth? Is it your online presence? Something else?"

Well, actually all of them. After 13 years in the business you built up a network, which is what you try to do with TM-Town I guess.

Another interesting point stated by you....

- "I woul
... See more
Thank you for your answer. To answer your questions....

- "To answer this question I would start by asking a question - the clients that are contacting you directly now, how are they finding you? Is it word of mouth? Is it your online presence? Something else?"

Well, actually all of them. After 13 years in the business you built up a network, which is what you try to do with TM-Town I guess.

Another interesting point stated by you....

- "I would argue that sites such as TM-Town, ProZ, etc. make it less complex (expensive) to find jobs."

Proz, yes, TM-Town I am not that sure. You didn't answer my last question, are you/we fishing in the same pool of outsourcers? If so, then the only way to find those clients in the future is via TM-Town, or anyhow, you are competition!

Thinking about it, also for Proz. If TM-Town is becoming a smashing succes, why should agencies go to Proz to find translators and filtering out which translator is the best for them (=time=money), while all that work is done for them by you?

- "You can get some pretty significant mileage from our free account. You could theoretically upload more than anyone has probably translated in a lifetime (with 20 documents, a translator could theoretically upload 20 Big Mama TMs)"

What exactly do you mean here with "document"?

Kind regards,

Rob
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Not typical for Dutch people Mar 16, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

TM-Town looks, as I said before, to good to be true. Is it? (sorry for my scepticism, but I am Dutch).

With all due respect, I don't think that scepticism is typical for Dutch people.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Hans Mar 16, 2016

Please just look in the mirror, it is our "middle name"!

BTW, a little more sensible feedback on the real topic here would have been welcome.

[Edited at 2016-03-16 22:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-16 22:17 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
@Robert Mar 16, 2016

Hi Robert,

You didn't answer my last question, are you/we fishing in the same pool of outsourcers?

This is not really a question I can answer. For one, I don't know your clients, and secondly I don't necessarily know all of the end clients or agencies who are using TM-Town. TM-Town doesn't require clients to register, they can use the search freely. If they send a message through our system we do see who sent the message, but as I mentioned in the previous comment there are also those who use TM-Town and reach out to translators through another communication method (on your TM-Town profile you can link your personal website, ProZ account, FB, LinkedIn, etc.). In which case they are invisible to us (we only find out if translators tell us).

What exactly do you mean here with "document"?

A document is equivalent to a file. There are 5 types of "documents" you could load to TM-Town:
1) A translation memory (TM) file (i.e. .tmx, .xlf, .sdlxliff, .sldtm, .txt (WordFast), .xlsx, .xls)
2) A terminology glossary (i.e. .tbx, .csv, .xlsx, .xls, .tsv, .txt)
3) A source document (i.e. .pdf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx , .pages, etc.)
4) A target document
5) A synopisis .town file created by our offline desktop application

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What could you tell me about TM-Town?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »