Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Your work is already out on the street Mar 18, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Ward Whittaker wrote:
Our individual TMs are the only things that differentiate us from other translators out there. I see them as my intellectual property. After 17 years in this industry, I can not see myself giving them away just for the hollow promise of work with no guarantees.

Just a quick note to say that, in my opinion, TMs are not really that critical. If a customer of mine asked for a copy of my TM containing their translations for a bone fide reason, I would no doubt hand it over.

What customers hire us for is our expertise, and that exists independent of any TM. Our TMs do not convey our full expertise or capabilities; maybe only a sample of it. Furthermore, while our expertise keeps growing with time, the contents of our TMs is frozen and very much corresponds to our expertise in the past. I am sure we would all make plenty of changes in our TMs if we reread segments from several years ago, the same way we edit our segments constantly as we reuse them from the perspective of our current knowledge.

I agree totally with Tomás. Furthermore, (big part of) our work is already public. Just have a look at sites as Mymemory and Linguee! How do you think they get their information? I found there examples of my work (literally), even parts of my website!

So, believing that the content of our TM's is only save on our computers in our offices and that we are the only ones benefiting of it, is an illusion.

[Edited at 2016-03-18 09:40 GMT]

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
A strange experience Mar 18, 2016

I have just had a strange experience. I have only visited the site in question one time that I remember. That was probably at least several months ago, when it was first discussed on the forums. I have not visited the site since and am not a member.

Just now, however, I was attempting to do a Google search on a health condition that I am researching...and received the following message instead:

This is probably not the site you are looking for!

... See more
I have just had a strange experience. I have only visited the site in question one time that I remember. That was probably at least several months ago, when it was first discussed on the forums. I have not visited the site since and am not a member.

Just now, however, I was attempting to do a Google search on a health condition that I am researching...and received the following message instead:

You attempted to reach www.google.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as www.tm-town.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.google.com.

You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Does anyone know why I might have received such a message?
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I'm not a computer wizzkid, but.... Mar 18, 2016

Amel Abdullah wrote:

You attempted to reach www.google.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as www.tm-town.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.google.com.

You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Does anyone know why I might have received such a message?

.... I found this:

"When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).
In this case, the address listed in the certificate does not match the address of the website your browser tried to go to. One possible reason for this is that your communications are being intercepted by an attacker who is presenting a certificate for a different website, which would cause a mismatch. Another possible reason is that the server is set up to return the same certificate for multiple websites, including the one you are attempting to visit, even though that certificate is not valid for all of those websites."

And when I read more, like:

"What local web server application are you using? Have you tried this on another browser like IE or Firefox to see if the error persists? It maybe the Chrome browser that's causing this error or an addon that's conflicting with the local web server."

I get the impression that it is a problem with your browser. Try another another one.

What were you looking for? Did you try again? What happened?

[Edited at 2016-03-18 21:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-18 21:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-18 23:26 GMT]

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Thank you... Mar 26, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It was a temporary issue that has since resolved; however, I have no idea why the server would identify itself as www.tm-town.com. As I said, I have only visited TM Town once that I can recall, and that was quite a while ago.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:) Mar 26, 2016

Amel Abdullah wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It was a temporary issue that has since resolved; however, I have no idea why the server would identify itself as www.tm-town.com. As I said, I have only visited TM Town once that I can recall, and that was quite a while ago.

Good that you resolved it, but for others who might have the same problem, have a look at this page:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/fVbBz8ksy7Y

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your take on TM Town?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »