Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2017

Dear Arabic-speaking colleagues,
I can't remember how you say in Arabic the proverb that in English is pretty much "the guest is like a prince when he comes, a prisoner when he stays, and a poet when he goes away"

Can you help me?
Shukran jazilan!

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:06
German to English
+ ...
Oh that's insightful Mar 13, 2017

Sorry I can't help you with the Arabic, but I've never heard that proverb before and I love it, so I wanted to thank you for teaching me something new today! What an insightful look into the whole "overstaying your welcome" situation, and from the guest's point of view, which is interesting.

On a related noted, I heard another saying for the first time yesterday, and it was also about guests in other people's homes: "Guests and fish - they both start to smell after three days" I gen
... See more
Sorry I can't help you with the Arabic, but I've never heard that proverb before and I love it, so I wanted to thank you for teaching me something new today! What an insightful look into the whole "overstaying your welcome" situation, and from the guest's point of view, which is interesting.

On a related noted, I heard another saying for the first time yesterday, and it was also about guests in other people's homes: "Guests and fish - they both start to smell after three days" I generally have a higher tolerance than three days for guests in my home, but it still made me chuckle.
Collapse

Menna Ebied
Menna Ebied
Egypt
Arabic to English
+ ...
That's it Mar 13, 2017

Hi Serena,
Here it is in Arabic,

الضيف إن أقبل أمير
و إن قعد أسير
و إن قام شاعر

Serena Basili
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Italy we have the one with the fish! Mar 13, 2017

We say: "L'ospite è come il pesce: dopo tre giorni puzza"

You're welcome Angela, I love to share this kind of things, it's my cup of tea (or, since I'm Italian, of coffee )
The meaning of the Arab proverb is to explain the famous great Arabic hospitality. The guests are like princes when they come because they receive a warm welcome and can immedi
... See more
We say: "L'ospite è come il pesce: dopo tre giorni puzza"

You're welcome Angela, I love to share this kind of things, it's my cup of tea (or, since I'm Italian, of coffee )
The meaning of the Arab proverb is to explain the famous great Arabic hospitality. The guests are like princes when they come because they receive a warm welcome and can immediately make themselves home; then they become prisoners because they cannot help the host in doing anything, as they are the guests and are not supposed to help; and lastly they are like poets because they will say good or bad things about the host to other people according to how they were treated.

[Edited at 2017-03-13 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

Serena Basili
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shukran Menna! Mar 14, 2017

Have a nice day:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic proverb about guests

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »