Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
dove vs. pigeon - how to explain the difference?
Thread poster: Monika Rozwarzewska
Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:47
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
in French, dove = colombe; pigeon= pigeon Jul 13, 2014

they are two different kinds of animals and I prefer doves

M

[Edited at 2014-07-13 10:05 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pigeons are more colorful and bigger than doves Jul 15, 2014

The pigeons I've seen (U.S.) are prettier, at least to me, and I think they're cute. They are grayish with iridescent-like colors, pinkish and bluish, and have a more interesting look. They're also bigger than the doves I've seen (brownish--I've never seen a white one except in pictures). The doves I know of are wild, whereas pigeons are more accustomed to being around people. These are the main ways that I easily tell them apart.

Also, I've heard of homing pigeons (domesticated
... See more
The pigeons I've seen (U.S.) are prettier, at least to me, and I think they're cute. They are grayish with iridescent-like colors, pinkish and bluish, and have a more interesting look. They're also bigger than the doves I've seen (brownish--I've never seen a white one except in pictures). The doves I know of are wild, whereas pigeons are more accustomed to being around people. These are the main ways that I easily tell them apart.

Also, I've heard of homing pigeons (domesticated to some point), but not homing doves.
Collapse

vongsak
vongsak
Laos
Dove vs Pigeon Nov 28, 2015

Dove and pigeon are alike but in Lao we call white pigeon a dove or peace bird because on peace/national day we uncage and free white pigeons, other than white collor we call pigeon

Alice Ponomareva
Alice Ponomareva
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:47
English to Russian
+ ...
One word, in Russian May 3, 2018

In Russian it's one word, golub'. For grey city types, multi-colour cultivated and fancy city types ), wild forest small ones, for the symbol of peace, Bible references (symbol of Holy Spirit, one of three, in Trinity, welcome news, etc.)

Where the word comes from no one knows ) Either 1. Colombo - k/g - golub'
Or 2. - colour - that used to mean, in the old times, yellowish and grey and brown and what not )

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto May 4, 2018

... what French2English said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184uovqxj2M

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dove vs. pigeon - how to explain the difference?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »