Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Learning Swedish
Thread poster: Sergio Paris
amysethi
amysethi
Sweden
Learning Swedish Sep 14, 2015

I came to know about Hermods( http://www.hermods.se/utbildningar-och-tjanster/sfi-och-integration/ ), when I was flipping through some websites to learn Swedish language. I think, it is really good and useful.

xyaseminax
xyaseminax
Türkiye
Local time: 04:27
Turkish to English
+ ...
Hi :) Aug 30, 2016

Ok, I can recommend two things.

The first is, an interactive language learning software named BYKI. The software is free, but you have to pay for most of the downloadable packages. It's not good for learning grammar, but it's perfect for getting you acquainted with the language. Like, it has different packages for different word groups, i.e. days of the week, travel phrases, numbers, animals, house objects, etc. You can also download it on your phone. It teaches you the word, the m
... See more
Ok, I can recommend two things.

The first is, an interactive language learning software named BYKI. The software is free, but you have to pay for most of the downloadable packages. It's not good for learning grammar, but it's perfect for getting you acquainted with the language. Like, it has different packages for different word groups, i.e. days of the week, travel phrases, numbers, animals, house objects, etc. You can also download it on your phone. It teaches you the word, the meaning, the spelling and the pronunciation. I think that would be a good start.

The second thing you can do is, download "teach yourself" e-books. These books are good for further study once you're really serious about learning the language and want to learn the grammar and stuff. They start from zero, beginning with the alphabet and reading and pronunciation rules and go on to vocab lists and dialogues and fill in the gap style exercises. And i can tell you that they work. I started studying Icelandic with these 4 years ago, and it was going pretty good. Then I had to quit due to my job, but that's not the point. It would've definitely gotten somewhere with those books.

If you want, I can e-mail you the teach yourself Swedish resources that I have. I think I should have both e-book and audio files for pronunciation. I have to check. Just write to me if you want me to e-mail you those. Ok?

Bye-bye, have a nice day!
Collapse

Marila Tosi
Marila Tosi  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Other useful links and resources Sep 1, 2016

Hello Sergio!
I moved to Sweden in 2014 and still find it difficult to understand 100% what people say in the street and on TV after having completed the Swedish for Immigrants course and the first step of Swedish as Second Language course at high-school level (Swedish as Second Language course consists of 1 step at basic level and 3 steps at high-school level). I mean, it is not just a problem of word order or knowledge of specific terms, it is more a question of why
... See more
Hello Sergio!
I moved to Sweden in 2014 and still find it difficult to understand 100% what people say in the street and on TV after having completed the Swedish for Immigrants course and the first step of Swedish as Second Language course at high-school level (Swedish as Second Language course consists of 1 step at basic level and 3 steps at high-school level). I mean, it is not just a problem of word order or knowledge of specific terms, it is more a question of why people choose a word instead of another, taking also in consideration that certain fixed expressions exist that are tricky or too complicated (in my opinion), but very popular among native. Anyway, at the beginning I found it practical and useful to use the German language as a mirror to remember the Swedish terms.
Here you are other resources that you may find useful during your learning path:
- A good grammar, essential to understand for example word order, inversion cases and adjective consistency: A concise Swedish grammar. This is the only truly comprehensive grammar book I used during my studies.
- Listening to Ett halvt ark papper short story in Swedish, just to practice the melody and sound of the language while looking at the transcription. It is also available in a number of languages.
- If you want to practice listening, you can download podcasts from P1 radio for example, or just listen to other radio stations, such as P3 or P4. At the beginning it is easier to understand the language, especially the pronunciation, used in P1.
- Some websites and other resources are also available in simplified Swedish (lätt svenska), for example 8 sidor, Radio Sweden på lätt svenska, or SVT news in simple Swedish.
- A free online English - Swedish dictionary: Folkets lexikon.
Lycka till med dina studier!

[Edited at 2016-09-01 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Swedish

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »