Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Brazilian Portuguese as a Foreign Language - Textbook
Thread poster: icenando
icenando
icenando
Local time: 13:24
Apr 22, 2010

Hello there,

I'm taking on my first Brazilian Portuguese student and I'm not really sure what's out there in terms of textbooks. I have experience teaching English as a foreign language, but never taught Portuguese (my mother tongue).

I've found "Novo Avenida Brasil" and it seems to be ok, although I couldn't find anything like the "New English File" for Portuguese.

Can anyone suggest textbooks? My student is an adult and a complete beginner.

T
... See more
Hello there,

I'm taking on my first Brazilian Portuguese student and I'm not really sure what's out there in terms of textbooks. I have experience teaching English as a foreign language, but never taught Portuguese (my mother tongue).

I've found "Novo Avenida Brasil" and it seems to be ok, although I couldn't find anything like the "New English File" for Portuguese.

Can anyone suggest textbooks? My student is an adult and a complete beginner.

Thank you for your attention,
Nando.

Ola,

Eu estou começando com um aluno de português e eu nao conheço os livros disponíveis. Eu tenho experiência como professor de inglês, mas nunca ensinei português (minha língua mae).

Eu achei o "Novo Avenida Brasil" e parece ser bom, mas eu nao consegui achar nada no estilo do "New English File" para português.

Alguem pode sugerir livros? O meu aluno e ja adulto e de nivel iniciante.

Obrigado pela atenção,
Nando.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Brazilian Portuguese textbook Apr 22, 2010

This book is really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Brasil-Lingua-Cultura-Tom-Lathrop/dp/0942566432/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1271965248&sr=8-1-fkmr0

[Edited at 2010-04-23 00:34 GMT]

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hello! Apr 22, 2010

I've been teaching Portuguese for over a year now and I've used

falar, ler, escrever
ou
muito prazer

both have been working out fine and seem very popular.

However, I'd say it depends where your students are from. If they are used to the alphabet they should work fine, if you are teaching chinese/korean students you are in for a challenge.

Most of my students are English speakers so it's been going fine. I do have to speak English
... See more
I've been teaching Portuguese for over a year now and I've used

falar, ler, escrever
ou
muito prazer

both have been working out fine and seem very popular.

However, I'd say it depends where your students are from. If they are used to the alphabet they should work fine, if you are teaching chinese/korean students you are in for a challenge.

Most of my students are English speakers so it's been going fine. I do have to speak English very often in order to get them to understand grammar. But more often than not I see myself having to devise my own material, because the books are not comprehensive enough.

I have tried other materials written by non-natives like "Portuguese for dummies" or "Brazilian Portuguese" and my advice is to stay away from them.

[Edited at 2010-04-22 22:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-22 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Suggestions Apr 23, 2010

It all depends on what the student wants.

For Survival Portuguese:

IGREJA, J.R. - Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese. Disal, 2009 - R$ 58.50

For a general basic course:

FERNANDES, G.R et al - Muito Prazer: fale o português do Brasil.
Disal, 2009 - R$ 135.00

The best book, in my opinion, could be out of print now but worth a try. I can't remember the name, but it is by Emma Eberlein O. F. Lima and has a yellow cover, publishe
... See more
It all depends on what the student wants.

For Survival Portuguese:

IGREJA, J.R. - Say it all in Brazilian Portuguese. Disal, 2009 - R$ 58.50

For a general basic course:

FERNANDES, G.R et al - Muito Prazer: fale o português do Brasil.
Disal, 2009 - R$ 135.00

The best book, in my opinion, could be out of print now but worth a try. I can't remember the name, but it is by Emma Eberlein O. F. Lima and has a yellow cover, published by EDUSP.

The first two books can be bought at Disal, telephone + 55 3226-3111 or www.disal.com.br.

Boa Sorte!
Collapse

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Europe Apr 23, 2010

I've seen some of these books at waterstones in London, and I think they deliver all around Europe.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Disal Telephone Apr 23, 2010

Just noticed I missed out the DDD code for Disal, the correct number is:

+ 55 11 3226-3111 (there are other branches throughout Brazil).

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you Apr 23, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

Just noticed I missed out the DDD code for Disal, the correct number is:

+ 55 11 3226-3111 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              + 55 11 3226-3111      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (there are other branches throughout Brazil).

I actually needed that number!

But I think the thread poster is in the UK, do they deliver there? Strangely, the same Brazilian books at waterstones were much cheaper in Brazil. I don't know how to explain that.

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:24
Russian to German
+ ...
I wouldn't recommend falar, ler, escrever Apr 23, 2010

I've been using falando, lendo, escrevendo for more than a year now and assuming that "falar, ler, escrever" and "falando, lendo, escrevendo" are alike, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't aim at communication at all, it's outdated, the language sounds artificial. Unless your student already knows a roman language (or has a generally good feel for languages) and only wants a grammar crash course, I'd go for a different book.
I'm considering a change with my students as well, it's been too
... See more
I've been using falando, lendo, escrevendo for more than a year now and assuming that "falar, ler, escrever" and "falando, lendo, escrevendo" are alike, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't aim at communication at all, it's outdated, the language sounds artificial. Unless your student already knows a roman language (or has a generally good feel for languages) and only wants a grammar crash course, I'd go for a different book.
I'm considering a change with my students as well, it's been too frustrating.
Collapse

icenando
icenando
TOPIC STARTER
What about "Novo Avenida Brasil"? Apr 23, 2010

Thank you all for your replies. There doesn't seem to be a consensus, but I'll have a look at the books mentioned here.

Has anyone had any contact with "Novo Avenida Brasil" though? Any thoughts on it?

What about the difference between "Falando, Lendo, Escrevendo" and "Falar, Ler, Escrever"? They seem to share a similar cover as well...

Just for the record, my student is English, so the alphabet shouldn't be an issue.

Nando.

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not the same. Apr 23, 2010

KKastenhuber wrote:

not the same book.

in fact, i've never heard of falando, lendo, escrevendo?????

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Apr 23, 2010

[quote]Paula Borges wrote:

KKastenhuber wrote:

I'm not sure if it is the same book.

But either way, the only other option is "Muito Prazer", those are the two best methods I know. Unfortunately, there are few books availabe if you are teaching Brazilian Portuguese.

It is true that it is focused on grammar. I normally use other material (songs, videos, conversation, documents I make myself, etc.) and use the book and its exercises only as a support to reinforce grammar. I think the exercise book with the 4 cds is excellent, my students get lots of homework!

I live in Brazil and wouldn't say the language is outdated at all. It does not have any regional slang or anything of the kind but it's not formal either. The book is not perfect, but language in it is certainly not artificial.

My students using this book or "muito prazer" have had a lot more progress than any other students I've had using different books, and after a few lessons have enough vocab to go around and do their own thing.

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:17 GMT]

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:24
Russian to German
+ ...
Eventually it all depends on the students... Apr 23, 2010

Paula Borges wrote:

It is true that it is focused on grammar. I normally use other material (songs, videos, conversation, documents I make myself, etc.) and use the book and its exercises only as a support to reinforce grammar. I think the exercise book with the 4 cds is excellent, my students get lots of homework!

I live in Brazil and wouldn't say the language is outdated at all. It does not have any regional slang or anything of the kind but it's not formal either. The book is not perfect, but language in it is certainly not artificial.

My students using this book or "muito prazer" have had a lot more progress than any other students I've had using different books, and after a few lessons have enough vocab to go around and do their own thing.

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:17 GMT]

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say the whole book uses artificial or outdated language. I'm not a brazilian native speaker myself (but have lived in Brazil), so I might not be the right person to judge, either. I don't see how most of the dialogues (especially the smaller ones) and the "textos narrativos" should be of any use for my students though. They're usually too difficult, don't use the grammar explained in the corresponding unit, etc. I just don't think it's put together all too well.
My 2005 version of "falando, lendo, escrevendo" wants to make my students believe the currency used in Brazil is "Cruzeiros". That's for outdated.

I believe that eventually it all depends on the students, though. If the students are truly interested in a language, gifted and hard-working, then the book doesn't really matter. If they're not gifted and lazy (like mine ), the best book in the world won't help them.

If I were to choose again, I'd look for something with a more modern approach, though. Are you looking for a book that's in Portuguese only? I have found that recently there have been released a bunch of very interesting new books specifically for German native speakers, you might also find one for English speakers (if that's what you need) who want to learn Portuguese.

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-23 22:47 GMT]

Paula Borges
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunately Apr 24, 2010

There aren't many books to help you teach Brazilian Portuguese. No specific books for specific students either. Whoever is trying to teach chinese or korean people Portuguese is being forced to figure out their own method!

I have found that any book attempting to explain grammar in Portuguese is a turn off for the students. They get so confused they end up giving up. I like these new books because they are not attempting to get students to become linguists, yet simply help them comm
... See more
There aren't many books to help you teach Brazilian Portuguese. No specific books for specific students either. Whoever is trying to teach chinese or korean people Portuguese is being forced to figure out their own method!

I have found that any book attempting to explain grammar in Portuguese is a turn off for the students. They get so confused they end up giving up. I like these new books because they are not attempting to get students to become linguists, yet simply help them communicate.

The "difficult" texts are there so native English speakers gain confidence: they find out they can understand more than they think because a lot of words are similar.

I'm still not sure if we're talking about the same book. But I think it works quite well for people who already are in Brazil and need vocabulary to communicate immediately, the exercise book is very, very helpful. The dialogues are very similar to the ones the student will actually have.

I'm not saying these books are perfect, I'm saying we haven't got a lot of option, not when it comes to Brazilian Portuguese. But the one I have doesn't seem to be in "Cruzeiro" time either.

[Edited at 2010-04-24 00:14 GMT]
Collapse

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Como dizer tudo... Apr 25, 2010

Do you know Ron Martinez’s ‘Como dizer…’ collection? They’re not text books, but their aim is at teaching a foreign language through a set of common cultural/colloquial phrases. But then, I’m not sure if you can use them with beginners…

I gave his first book ‘Como dizer tudo em Inglês’ to my American cousin who was visiting and was trying to learn some PT-BR expressions. At that time, this was the collection sole title… It’s mostly based on comparing collocat
... See more
Do you know Ron Martinez’s ‘Como dizer…’ collection? They’re not text books, but their aim is at teaching a foreign language through a set of common cultural/colloquial phrases. But then, I’m not sure if you can use them with beginners…

I gave his first book ‘Como dizer tudo em Inglês’ to my American cousin who was visiting and was trying to learn some PT-BR expressions. At that time, this was the collection sole title… It’s mostly based on comparing collocations of both languages in a phrase to phrase translation mode. This book comes with a CD – so you can practice English pronunciation. My cousin should try to repeat the PT phrases instead, but she automatically repeated the EN ones – perfectly

Later on, Ron published several books including an activity book, advanced English for Brazilian learners of English, and also French, Spanish, German and even Chinese…

http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/scripts/cultura/busca/busca.asp?palavra=como%20dizer%20tudo%20em%20ingl�s&tipo_pesq=titulo&sid=89652913412424193242795374&k5=9EE1AC3&uid=&limpa=0&parceiro=IJPXAR&x=27&y=12

‘How to say anything in Portuguese’ was first published in 2003 and is out of print. The new version (2007) plus CD is offered at this Brazilian bookstore site, where you can see a full list of ‘Como Dizer...’ books:
The book ‘How to say anything in Portuguese’ (2007) can be found here:

http://www.livrariacultura.com.br/scripts/cultura/busca/busca.asp?palavra=How%20to%20say%20anything%20in%20Portuguese&tipo_pesq=titulo&sid=89652913412424193242795374&k5=3203B183&uid=&limpa=0&parceiro=TIIAAT&x=23&y=8

At Amazon.com you will also find the 2003 edition and very nice reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=How%20to%20say%20anything%20in%20Portuguese%20&x=13&y=23

[Edited at 2010-04-25 00:48 GMT]
Collapse

Novo Avenida Brasil Oct 21, 2010

I'm also looking for Brazilian Portuguese textbooks and I always find something negative about them, either from reading others' comments or from my own experience, though the ones I have had bad experience with were Spanish books. This is the first time I'm going to teach Br Portuguese which is my mother tongue. Having looked for Novo Avenida Brasil, I haven't read anything either negative or positive about it yet, when I put it on Amazon.co.uk search, with no reviews. So, I'm tempted to give t... See more
I'm also looking for Brazilian Portuguese textbooks and I always find something negative about them, either from reading others' comments or from my own experience, though the ones I have had bad experience with were Spanish books. This is the first time I'm going to teach Br Portuguese which is my mother tongue. Having looked for Novo Avenida Brasil, I haven't read anything either negative or positive about it yet, when I put it on Amazon.co.uk search, with no reviews. So, I'm tempted to give this one a go. Does anyone know if it comes with a CD? Has anyone used it? What is it with these authors who want to focus on grammar? Don't they know most learners hate grammar and just want conversational use of the language? I agree that sometimes it's impossible not to touch on some grammar aspects of latin languages, but unfortunately most learners are not interested in it, and, in fact, terrified of it!Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brazilian Portuguese as a Foreign Language - Textbook

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »