Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What are the most amusing mistakes your students made?
Thread poster: Sara Senft
jimgreene87
jimgreene87
United States
Local time: 04:36
English to German
+ ...
Kunst? Dec 10, 2009

I was helping out a friend of mine in college who had just started taking German. She answered one of her questions about art museums, but, instead of writing Kunst (art), she mixed up the t and the s.

"Sarah?"
"Yea, Jim?"
"Look at that word, and tell me if that is really what you want to say"
*looks at it for a good long time* "I guess so..."
"Do you often go the the c*** museum?"

david young
david young  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:36
French to English
my favorite Dec 10, 2009

is the common French mistake "I came in (had an orgasm in) London last week" (instead of "went to")

My personal blunders on arriving in France many years ago included asking my employer to send me my "fraises" (strawberries) instead of my "frais" (expenses)
and "I just had my horses (chevaux) cut" instead of "I just had my hair (cheveux) cut"

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:36
English to Flemish
+ ...
hilarious Dec 10, 2009

I have the following link:

http://www.zelan.be/zelan/filmpjes/4085/Happiness_in_de_laatste_show.html

please have a look at it....it is a joke about a speech given by the wife of a french president when invited by Her Majesty QE at Buckingham Palace.

The beginning is in Dutch, so most of you won´t understand, but take a look
... See more
I have the following link:

http://www.zelan.be/zelan/filmpjes/4085/Happiness_in_de_laatste_show.html

please have a look at it....it is a joke about a speech given by the wife of a french president when invited by Her Majesty QE at Buckingham Palace.

The beginning is in Dutch, so most of you won´t understand, but take a look and listen as from 1min25"....

The thing is that this women in the joke wants to give a speech on "happiness" (she actually wants to give a speech on a subject that she thinks the queen as a women might appreciate) and she knows that the french have a problem with stressing the correct syllables in words in English, so she starts thinking how to pronounce this word, and starts her speech for the queen of England....the result is hilarious....
Collapse

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:36
English to Flemish
+ ...
s / th Dec 10, 2009

this is another very nice one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
sauteurs and tills - dictionary work gone wrong Dec 10, 2009

One of my pupils wrote in alleged French:

Je porte un sauteur (jumper, as in someone who jumps)...

But the best I have every seen:

En Walsall, toi boîte magazins caisse toi tomber.

In Walsall (my town), you can (as in a can) shop (as in a shop) till (as in a till) you drop (of course infinitive, why conjugate ?)

It took me ages to work out what that poor soul was trying to say...

I also had people cleaning the widows
... See more
One of my pupils wrote in alleged French:

Je porte un sauteur (jumper, as in someone who jumps)...

But the best I have every seen:

En Walsall, toi boîte magazins caisse toi tomber.

In Walsall (my town), you can (as in a can) shop (as in a shop) till (as in a till) you drop (of course infinitive, why conjugate ?)

It took me ages to work out what that poor soul was trying to say...

I also had people cleaning the widows (les veuves) instead of les fenêtres (windows). Wrong line!

Personal experience:

When I was in my twenties, a friend of mine (honest, not me!) asked for the recipe for "chicken pox" (well, there is chicken in it!)..

In an essay at University, someone wrote that foreigners were very often made spacegoats in their adopted country. I still have visions of a goat in a spacesuit...

Carole
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another body parts-related error Dec 10, 2009

This was my own error.

I was interpreting a message in to Spanish. During my interpretation, I accidentally said "coño," which is a slang term for female genitalia. Fortunately, I caught my error quickly and immediately self-corrected.

jimgreene87 wrote:

I was helping out a friend of mine in college who had just started taking German. She answered one of her questions about art museums, but, instead of writing Kunst (art), she mixed up the t and the s.

"Sarah?"
"Yea, Jim?"
"Look at that word, and tell me if that is really what you want to say"
*looks at it for a good long time* "I guess so..."
"Do you often go the the c*** museum?"

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Spanish, Serbian, Russian... Dec 10, 2009

Well... in Spanish there is the verb "correr" (to run) and the famous "se" which can be added practically to any verb without changing its meaning. For example: "me voy" - "I'm going", etc. But, once added to "correr" it means "I'm coming..."

Even though I knew it in theory, I once shouted down the street to a friend who was waiting for me: "me corro!" People made way as they didn't want to be in the way when it happe
... See more
Well... in Spanish there is the verb "correr" (to run) and the famous "se" which can be added practically to any verb without changing its meaning. For example: "me voy" - "I'm going", etc. But, once added to "correr" it means "I'm coming..."

Even though I knew it in theory, I once shouted down the street to a friend who was waiting for me: "me corro!" People made way as they didn't want to be in the way when it happened...

Another one: many Serbs used to claim at one point that they spoke Russian quite well (there is a big similarity between the two languages). To test it, people used to ask them: "Ah, now that you speak such good Russian, could you please translate what: 'U minya krasniy zhivot' means in Russian. The Serbs would say: "I have great life", while in fact the phrase means "I have red stomach". An example of faux amis...

Cheers!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the most amusing mistakes your students made?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »