Hannah Gunasingh
Hannah Gunasingh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:36
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2008

I am not sure how many translators will read this (since I have myself have not been visiting this Forum for a long time. Kindly excuse me for this.

I have this question:
How is the classical Tamil romanization done? Any help would be appreciated.
For example:

ORIGINAL ENGLISH:
----------------------------
The twentieth century paved its way in social, political and literary changes in various ways.

Tamil Romanization (as I would
... See more
I am not sure how many translators will read this (since I have myself have not been visiting this Forum for a long time. Kindly excuse me for this.

I have this question:
For example:

ORIGINAL ENGLISH:
The twentieth century paved its way in social, political and literary changes in various ways.

Tamil Romanization (as I would do):
------------------------------------------------
IrubathAm noortAndu camooha, arasiyal, ilakkiya mAtRangaluku palveRu vahaihaliL thadam padhithathu

Please let me know how classical romanization can be done for Tamil. Are there some set standards for this?
Thanks
Collapse

Ajithkumar Marimuthu

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
English to Tamil
+ ...
Yes Aug 18, 2008

Yes, there are set standards for classical Tamil romanization. Generally, Tamil scholars and students follow the Transliteration Table given in Tamil Lexicon (p. lxviii, University of Madras, 1982). Since it has diacritics for long vowels, retroflex consonants, etc. I could not give an example here. Sorry.

janasru
janasru
India
Russian to English
+ ...
help for tamil Romanization Aug 18, 2008

Hannah Gunasingh wrote:

I have this question:
For example:

ORIGINAL ENGLISH:

IrubathAm noortAndu camooha, arasiyal, ilakkiya mAtRangaluku palveRu vahaihaliL thadam padhithathu

Please let me know how classical romanization can be done for Tamil. Are there some set standards for this?
Thanks

Irubadham nootrandu samooha, arasiyal, ilakkiya matrangalukku palveru vahaigalil thadam padhithadhu

may be like this . u have 2 types of transliterations one as per the sound and the other as per the letters. both are valid. but for the letters I am not sure though I wrtie at times only as per sound. if i come across i shall surely tell you.

[Edited at 2008-08-18 15:00]

Hannah Gunasingh
Hannah Gunasingh  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 19, 2008

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply! I was wondering if I have to order the "Tamil Lexicon" (Madras University) but there seem to be 6 volumes ! Which volume number should I buy (Mr. Gopalakrishnan)? Please let me know!

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
English to Tamil
+ ...
First Volume Aug 19, 2008

Hannah Gunasingh wrote:

Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply! I was wondering if I have to order the "Tamil Lexicon" (Madras University) but there seem to be 6 volumes ! Which volume number should I buy (Mr. Gopalakrishnan)? Please let me know!

Transliteration Table is given in the first volume of the Tamil Lexicon. Actually there are 7 volumes (6 + 1 (Supplement)). You need not buy it. If you wish, I am ready to send a scan of the page to your email ID.

By the by, my name is Sundar. Gopalakrishnan is my father's name!

Mariappan Eddiah
Mariappan Eddiah
Malaysia
Local time: 05:06
The best + easy to use Tamil TRANSCRIPTION Mar 25, 2017

Goldenbead wrote:

I have this question:
For example:

ORIGINAL ENGLISH:

Thanks

TRANSCRIPTION:
https://www.tamilnet.com/transcription/

Sample:
http://tamilromanisedbible.blogspot.my/2016/03/contact.html

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Classical Tamil Romanization

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »