Use imported database in Swordfish
Thread poster: CaroleTrad
Nov 30, 2010

Hi,

I'm a student and I had started a translation at Uni on Trados. Then once home, I've imported the tmx translation memory into my swordfish database in order to finish my translation.

BUT when I open my file (xliff), although I try to use the concordance and/or context search, nothing appears.
It looks like I have to start again my translation as if there were no imported database.

Why?
Is there any equivalence in swordfish to the fuzzy searc
... See more
Hi,

I'm a student and I had started a translation at Uni on Trados. Then once home, I've imported the tmx translation memory into my swordfish database in order to finish my translation.

BUT when I open my file (xliff), although I try to use the concordance and/or context search, nothing appears.
It looks like I have to start again my translation as if there were no imported database.

Why?
Is there any equivalence in swordfish to the fuzzy search (available on trados)?
Is that because I've exported my translation memory in twx 1.4? Do I have to export it in 1.1?
By the way (2nd question): Which of the two versions is the most advised?

Thank you for helping me - I'm stuck! (and I don't feel like starting again my whole text!)
Carole
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:34
French to German
+ ...
Have you tried... Nov 30, 2010

the option which says "Apply TM to all segments" or something like that?

Also and when you converted the file to .XLIFF, did you change the segmentation rules to Trados segmentation?

PS: personally, I don't think this has anything to do with the .TMX version used.

[Modifié le 2010-11-30 11:20 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
Language codes Nov 30, 2010

Hi,

Make sure the language codes in your XLIFF file are the same ones used in the TMX document. If they are not, you can adjust the codes in the XLIFF file using the "Change Language Codes" option from Tasks menu.

Also, make sure that yourdatabases are enabled for TM lookup (Database -> Select TM Databases) and enabled for concordance (click the "Concordance Databases" button in the Concordance Search dialog).

Regards,
Rodolfo

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Different language codes in the TM and XLIFF file Nov 30, 2010

I believe your problem is that the language codes are different. I usually edit TMX files exported from Workbench in UltraEdit and change the language codes to "en" and "pl" in my case, to match the settings I usually use in Swordfish.

Regards,

Piotr Bieńkowski

CaroleTrad
CaroleTrad
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your help Nov 30, 2010

It eventually works!
I was looking for something like "fuzzy" to make my imported MT visible but I've eventually found what you all say. Actually, I did missed "Apply TM to all segments".
It wasn't a format issue but I've read that tmx 1.4 is better than tmx 1.1 (certainly more recent).

It was my first try today on swordfish and I must say that I'm looking forward to use it again. Seems so "easy" after Trados!

Thank you again.
Best regards,

... See more
It eventually works!
I was looking for something like "fuzzy" to make my imported MT visible but I've eventually found what you all say. Actually, I did missed "Apply TM to all segments".
It wasn't a format issue but I've read that tmx 1.4 is better than tmx 1.1 (certainly more recent).

It was my first try today on swordfish and I must say that I'm looking forward to use it again. Seems so "easy" after Trados!

Thank you again.
Best regards,

Carole
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use imported database in Swordfish

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »