How much would you charge to REVISE subtitles? (per minute)
Thread poster: Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2019

How much doyou think one should charge to check subtitles? Not to do a close revision with the source language, but to check that it sounds good in the target language and that there is nothing which wouldn't make sense to the audience

[Edited at 2019-10-07 14:01 GMT]

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:26
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Just to give an idea... Oct 7, 2019

Rates vary in my langauge pair, from $1 to $3.50.

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 13:26
English to French
Per hour of your time Oct 9, 2019

If you ask me, you should charge per hour of time it took you after the job is done. You don't know what quality to expect beforehand and if there is more to do than just checking what you say (if you spot bad translations, won't you correct them?), a per minute rate will not necessarily be fair. Decide what hourly rate your work is worth.

[Edited at 2019-10-09 14:15 GMT]

Bethany Kachura
Isis Farid

Isis Farid
Isis Farid  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try first Oct 31, 2019

Hi Bethany,
Rates vary from country to another and from language pair to another.
I will tell you my personal experience. I worked for 2 companies. One was paying 0.25$/min for proofreading and the other 0.4.
Both rates are very low, because you have to watch the whole movie or serie so you will spend one hour watching 1 hour serie, without any editing so you need at least 0.5$/min to gain 30$ hourly (0.5*60=30) and remember, you will not watch only.
For me, I had to edit
... See more
Hi Bethany,
I will tell you my personal experience. I worked for 2 companies. One was paying 0.25$/min for proofreading and the other 0.4.
Both rates are very low, because you have to watch the whole movie or serie so you will spend one hour watching 1 hour serie, without any editing so you need at least 0.5$/min to gain 30$ hourly (0.5*60=30) and remember, you will not watch only.
For me, I had to edit mistakes, and believe me some translators do not do their jobs, so sometimes I accept the project as a proofreading task and it ends up that I translate most of it. Sometimes I return the file and refuse to proofread it because it is full of mistakes.
Anyway, try to ask for 1$/min. I can see your are from UK. Europeans (most of them) pay good rates. In the company I work for, my branch (in eastern Europe) pay me 1.7$ for translation and another branch in western Europe told me “it’s too low our minimum is 4$“, and they pay me 4$.
Anyway, bargain with them, try to get the highest rate you can get because they never increase rate after that.
Good luck
Collapse

Bethany Kachura
Bethany Kachura
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Nov 1, 2019

Isis Farid wrote:

Hi Bethany,
For me, I had to edit mistakes, and believe me some translators do not do their jobs, so sometimes I accept the project as a proofreading task and it ends up that I translate most of it. Sometimes I return the file and refuse to proofread it because it is full of mistakes.
Anyway, try to ask for 1$/min. I can see your are from UK. Europeans (most of them) pay good rates. In the company I work for, my branch (in eastern Europe) pay me 1.7$ for translation and another branch in western Europe told me “it’s too low our minimum is 4$“, and they pay me 4$.
Anyway, bargain with them, try to get the highest rate you can get because they never increase rate after that.
Good luck

Thank you ever so much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much would you charge to REVISE subtitles? (per minute)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »