Netflix guideline for repetition
Thread poster: Thai Hoa
Thai Hoa
Thai Hoa
Vietnam
Local time: 22:11
English to Vietnamese
Aug 7, 2019

I am not sure about Netflix guideline for repetition.
"Do not translate words or phrases repeated more than once by the same speaker.
If the repeated word or phrase is said twice in a row, time subtitle to the audio but translate only once."

For example, the sentence "Get away!" is spoke by one man and repeated in 3 continuous boxes.
So we translate the first box, OMIT the second box, then translate the third box?
Or we should translate all boxes?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Translation Aug 7, 2019

As far as I know, you translate "Get away!" only once, but time the subtitle to cover all 4 segments that include the phrase.

Daniel Olsson

Thai Hoa
Thai Hoa
Vietnam
Local time: 22:11
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Repetition in a number of boxes, not in one box only Aug 7, 2019

Dear Thayenga, I mean it repeated in many boxes, not in one box.
In one box, yes, we translate one time.
But it get more complex when it appear in many boxes.

Amrita Kumari

LingoNova
LingoNova  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Subtilte Repetiion Aug 7, 2019

For my experience, it will depend on the time code. Normally, we only translate the first box and prolong the time code.

abdelkader jbira (X)
abdelkader jbira (X)  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 15:11
Arabic to French
+ ...
Répétition Aug 7, 2019

Hello
It is necessary to take account of the context.
If the character repeats three times the same thing to insist over, then it is necessary to return this insistence in subtitling, otherwise this insistence is lost.
This is not contradictory with the rule of the economy of the subtitle that aims to not to disrupt the spectator's look uselessly and to respect passages of a visual plan to another.

On the other hand if it is about a clean name or a common
... See more
Hello
It is necessary to take account of the context.
If the character repeats three times the same thing to insist over, then it is necessary to return this insistence in subtitling, otherwise this insistence is lost.
This is not contradictory with the rule of the economy of the subtitle that aims to not to disrupt the spectator's look uselessly and to respect passages of a visual plan to another.

On the other hand if it is about a clean name or a common name, then one mentions it or one only translates it only one time, sometimes on all the support (for example " John " or " main ").

[Edited at 2019-08-07 09:55 GMTS]

[Edited at 2019-08-07 11:11 GMT]
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:11
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
One box vs multiple boxes Aug 7, 2019

If a word/phrase is repeated several times in a box, then we translate once and omit the rest. Like "No! No! No!", in one box, Just one "No!" but we don't shorten the the subtitle, keep it as is until the audio ends. If there are multiple boxes with same phrase (each phrase is repeated once in each box) like in your example, we translate them all, not omit anything. Side note, As a Turkish subtitler, If same phrase is repeated in multiple boxes, I change the translation of the 3rd, 4th one, if ... See more
If a word/phrase is repeated several times in a box, then we translate once and omit the rest. Like "No! No! No!", in one box, Just one "No!" but we don't shorten the the subtitle, keep it as is until the audio ends. If there are multiple boxes with same phrase (each phrase is repeated once in each box) like in your example, we translate them all, not omit anything. Side note, As a Turkish subtitler, If same phrase is repeated in multiple boxes, I change the translation of the 3rd, 4th one, if scene/context and phrase let me do so. So i dont repeat same thing like 4-5 times.Collapse

Thai Hoa
Daniel Olsson

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix guideline for repetition

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »