Aegisub: error in find function. Find and replace will replace wrong part of a sentence
Thread poster: A_Lilie

A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Japanese to German
+ ...
May 27

I've been having an error in Aegisub for a few days, where when using the find and replace feature it will identify wrong parts of a sentence. I don't know how to explain it properly, so I added a picture where you can see the error:

https://ibb.co/NCp3hkC

The word I wanted it to find was "Ryo" and it identified a place in the sentence a few characters before the actual word. After hittin
... See more
I've been having an error in Aegisub for a few days, where when using the find and replace feature it will identify wrong parts of a sentence. I don't know how to explain it properly, so I added a picture where you can see the error:

https://ibb.co/NCp3hkC

The word I wanted it to find was "Ryo" and it identified a place in the sentence a few characters before the actual word. After hitting "replace" it will replace both instances it "found", in this case the characters it did mark and the actual "Ryo" in the sentence.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Aegisub, but it unfortunately didn't change anything. I do use find/replace very often and it eats up a lot of time checking each and every instance manually.

Does anyone here happen to know this bug and how I can get rid of it? I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and what went wrong. I've been working on the same project for a while now and never had this error until a few days ago.

Help!

Last edit:

Okay, nevermind. I found what's causing the error: It's ticking the "Skip Override Tags" box when using find and replace.

[Edited at 2019-05-28 10:35 GMT]
Collapse


 

A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nevermind May 28

(So, I edited this post yesterday, saying that deleting the Aegisub folder in AppData got rid of this bug, which is true. To be precise, deleting config.json gets rid of it. This did work for me yesterday, however, today I've been getting the bug again! What is this??

Does anyone happen to have an Idea where this is coming from? I didn't change anything in the settings today whatsoever and it worked yesterday! So, what is causing my config file to malfunction?

Thanks!!)
... See more
(So, I edited this post yesterday, saying that deleting the Aegisub folder in AppData got rid of this bug, which is true. To be precise, deleting config.json gets rid of it. This did work for me yesterday, however, today I've been getting the bug again! What is this??

Does anyone happen to have an Idea where this is coming from? I didn't change anything in the settings today whatsoever and it worked yesterday! So, what is causing my config file to malfunction?

Thanks!!)

Nevermind. I updated the original post, because I found what was causing the error.

[Edited at 2019-05-29 06:33 GMT]
Collapse


 

António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 00:32
English to Portuguese
- May 28

Hi, A_Lilie.
Did you try with another file?

Pick a random srt file and import it to Aegisub. If the search and replace function is working correctly, it may be a problem with the file's encoding.
Try exporting your project file to a srt file, encode it to UTF-8 with a text editor (notepad++ is a good choice) and import it again with Aegisub.


 

A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 29

António Madeira wrote:

Hi, A_Lilie.
Did you try with another file?

Pick a random srt file and import it to Aegisub. If the search and replace function is working correctly, it may be a problem with the file's encoding.
Try exporting your project file to a srt file, encode it to UTF-8 with a text editor (notepad++ is a good choice) and import it again with Aegisub.


Hi António,

I did actually already find out that ticking "Skip Override Tags" in find/replace caused the error, but thank you for the suggestion!
I updated my last post now to show that the problem was solved, because I realized that it looked like I had run into problems again. Sorry for the confusion!!


 

António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 00:32
English to Portuguese
- May 29

No problem.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub: error in find function. Find and replace will replace wrong part of a sentence

Advanced search







BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search