Thread poster: Patrick Cenci
Patrick Cenci
Patrick Cenci
Local time: 08:06
French to Italian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2019

Hi everyone

I've just started translating subtitles for a US customer and their rate per minute video is $2.32.
Although I find the experience challenging and interesting (I don't have a lot of experience in subtitling), I think the rate is way to low.
Any thoughts?

Regards,
Patrick

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Can you comfortably live? Apr 10, 2019

My standard rate for English to French subtiling is 5.10 EUR per source minute and I can't even consider going under a 4.50 EUR per source minute if I want to make ends meet. Don't forget your business is supposed to pay everything in your life, including your rent, car gas, insurances, mortgage, taxes, food, clothes, health bills, furnitures, retirement pension plan, professional association and forum memberships, workstation hardware and software upgrades, marketing (if any), even ... See more
My standard rate for English to French subtiling is 5.10 EUR per source minute and I can't even consider going under a 4.50 EUR per source minute if I want to make ends meet. Don't forget your business is supposed to pay everything in your life, including your rent, car gas, insurances, mortgage, taxes, food, clothes, health bills, furnitures, retirement pension plan, professional association and forum memberships, workstation hardware and software upgrades, marketing (if any), even leisure. Is my rate high? For a number of potential clients, it's just insanely high. But others do make the choice to call for me, sometimes for really weird reasons ("because I'm a French based in France"? what does it even have to do with my skills and experience in subtitling?). Sooo… Yeah. For me that 2.32 USD is darn low, but if you can comfortably live with it, sure, go with it. Just don't forget you'll never be able to raise this rate in the future because your client usually don't see the point of paying more for the same service.Collapse

Sandra Cravero
Luis Aguilar
Priscila Wilke
Monika O'Keefe

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:06
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Zones Apr 10, 2019

Hello Patrick,

If you're in Euro zone or USD zone, rate seems kinda low. But you may see it as a training board, a place to get experience. I've been subtitling for 3 years and from what I experienced, 30-40 minutes of translation (6-8 hours) is tops you can do in a day, properly. Of course job frequency is another thing to consider in this case, will you get jobs frequently? And then you do the math in the end of month, like Michel mentioned. You may need to think to find other c
... See more
Hello Patrick,

If you're in Euro zone or USD zone, rate seems kinda low. But you may see it as a training board, a place to get experience. I've been subtitling for 3 years and from what I experienced, 30-40 minutes of translation (6-8 hours) is tops you can do in a day, properly. Of course job frequency is another thing to consider in this case, will you get jobs frequently? And then you do the math in the end of month, like Michel mentioned. You may need to think to find other clients when you get some experience and build a portfolio. Hope you enjoy it.
Collapse

Sandra Cravero

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Apr 10, 2019

Any thoughts?

This rate is ridiculously low.

Sandra Cravero
Dietlinde DuPlessis (X)

Andreas Kjeldsen
Andreas Kjeldsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Way too low Apr 10, 2019

2.32 USD is way too low. Even without much experience you should be able to find companies paying at least 4-5 USD fairly easily (which is also too low, but perhaps more bearable).

Sandra Cravero

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
French to English
+ ...
Too low. Apr 11, 2019

Double that would still be low pay, compared with other types of translation. It depends on whether you can afford to take the work or not (or how badly you need it). And I must say, I have subtitled some really interesting TV shows and films.

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Way too low Apr 12, 2019

Subtitling is, unfortunately, a line of work that is criminally underpaid, but even with that in mind, 2.32$ per minute is way too low. I don't know how much is the cost of living in Italy, but if it's anything like France, even the "standard" offered by the majority of agencies (4$ per minute) is still way too low to make a living. Always negotiate your rates. Agencies and clients will -always- try to propose the lowest of the low, and you have to confront them on that.
There are many art
... See more
Subtitling is, unfortunately, a line of work that is criminally underpaid, but even with that in mind, 2.32$ per minute is way too low. I don't know how much is the cost of living in Italy, but if it's anything like France, even the "standard" offered by the majority of agencies (4$ per minute) is still way too low to make a living. Always negotiate your rates. Agencies and clients will -always- try to propose the lowest of the low, and you have to confront them on that.
There are many articles on the web on how to calculate you (realistic) ideal rate. Always try to propose higher and "concede" on it. Even then, you'll often have to settle for lower than that, because rent and food won't pay themselves, but always negotiate.
Collapse

Patrice
Monika O'Keefe

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Don't know if it helps, but... Apr 12, 2019

Don't know about US standards (not really interested, either), but I'm French, living in France, and I wouldn't consider accepting any subtitling job under 10€ per minute (and double that for corporate jobs).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for subtitling

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »