Student users-only topic

graduating in Translation in June...and then what?
Thread poster: Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
Local time: 18:00
English to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2008

Hello everybody!

I am graduating in June (BA in translation English > French and a Certificate of Translation English/Spanish in Toronto, Canada.

I am originally from France and I would ideally like to go back to Europe to find a job.

I do have quite a bit of freelance experience plus I did two internships.

I was wondering if you have any advices as for my job search.

Thanks and good luck to everybody,

Emilie

Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doing a Master? Mar 10, 2008

just to complete my post, I am wondering if you think it would be better to have a master from Europe to be able to find a job in Europe?
are you doing a master? do you find it helpful?
or is it better to finish a BA, then work for like a year or two and then do a master?
it is not easy and I hope you will share your experience with me

Thanks

Emilie

Laura Gómez
Laura Gómez
Spain
Local time: 00:00
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck! Mar 16, 2008

Dear Emilie,
like you say in French, Bon courage!!! I am from Spain and I studied translation here in Spain. The beginnings are always difficult but I see you have experience already, it was not my case when I finished my studies. I am now starting to do quite a lot of work, but for a long time I had to combine translation with other kind of activities because otherwise I could not earn enough money.
I know a lot of people who had to do the same but also people who are now successful
... See more
Dear Emilie,
like you say in French, Bon courage!!! I am from Spain and I studied translation here in Spain. The beginnings are always difficult but I see you have experience already, it was not my case when I finished my studies. I am now starting to do quite a lot of work, but for a long time I had to combine translation with other kind of activities because otherwise I could not earn enough money.
I know a lot of people who had to do the same but also people who are now successfully working as freelance translators.
The best is always getting direct clients, which is not easy but is the best. Also, it is very good having some agencies you work with regularly, which will give you some money and time to look for direct clients.
Regarding master, I have no experience because I have not done it but I would like to.
This is not much information but I hope you find it helpful.

Regards and good luck!
Collapse

Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 16, 2008

Muchas gracias Laura!
Thanks a lot for letting me know about your experience.
It feels so nice to be able to talk to the translators community worldwide thanks to Proz.

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
About MA, etc... Mar 22, 2008

Hi Emilie,

First of all, welcome in the StudentZ Community! I hope you'll feel good here, learn and have fun!
Interesting post and many questions there.
I'm French and graduating at the end of the year (MA in translation). I think a possible answer to your questions, according to my small experience could be : hey girl, if you stop studying to work, it will be very hard then to go back into the studies worl
... See more
Hi Emilie,

First of all, welcome in the StudentZ Community! I hope you'll feel good here, learn and have fun!
Interesting post and many questions there.
I'm French and graduating at the end of the year (MA in translation). I think a possible answer to your questions, according to my small experience could be : hey girl, if you stop studying to work, it will be very hard then to go back into the studies world - at least in Europe. I don't know about North American univs, but here the univ. mentality is very strong and totally different from the professionalone - you got my point : the studying reality and the actual professional reality are quite two separate worlds.

So with your BA, if you want to go on and do a MA, then I would advise you to do it now, while you're at it and while you still "belong" to the students world. My point is : who knows where you're going to be in a few years ? Maybe you'll be worlds apart from university and then you probably won't be able to "fit" in anymore, simply because you've seen other things and made new experiences.
That's just my two cents on it

As to your other question : I don't think you actually need an European MA to work in Europe (well, it depends where in Europe, too - I'm talking here mostly about the French market and a bit about the Austrian, Swiss and German one). I don't think it's harder to find a job in Europe with a Canadian degree - I would even go further by saying it may be even easier then, because North American universities are quite respected here, and young people arriving in Europe with a US or Canadian BA or MA are probably better perceived, because then it shows the potential employer how flexible, international and adapting you are. In all cases, having a foreign diploma is a real plus, most of the time.

Regarding your job search - well, it depends : what do you actually want to do ? Do you want to start right away as a freelancer? Or working in a translation agency first? Are you already specialized? If no, do you already have some ideas on your future specialization?
As you know, specializing is a big issue for us "background translators" and it could ba a good thing, once you've decided which field(s) you want to translate in, to actually work in that field - e.g. if you're into insurances, why not work in an insurance company for a couple of years, even as a secretary? at least it will give you some field experience in your areas, and that'll be of importance later when you'll be a freelance, youll be able to tell your clients: "I know what I'm dealing with in the insurance field, I worked for 2,3,4...10 years in an insurance company, I have experience..." etc.
See my point?

You seem to be standing at crossroads right now - the choice is not easy to make and it's yours only. My advice is just an advice, and is reflecting my personal opinions and experience. I hope that helps anyway!

Don't hesitate to ask and talk - that's what this Community is made for!
CheerZ,
Anne
Collapse

Emilie Collavet
Emilie Collavet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 22, 2008

thanks a lot Anne
for sure, it helps....!!!

Marta Scapellato
Marta Scapellato  Identity Verified
Italian to French
+ ...
another Master supporter Apr 7, 2008

Hi Emilie,

Me too I am in the same situation, I am graduating this year and I definately want to do a Master degree afterwords. As Anne, I think it´s better to do a Master now before it may be too late, it can give you the possibility to find a better job, it can help you in your carrier. I see many job posts where firms look for translators who fulfilled their studies. It is also the chance to have a student life two years more and to have experiences that you can not have once w
... See more
Hi Emilie,

Me too I am in the same situation, I am graduating this year and I definately want to do a Master degree afterwords. As Anne, I think it´s better to do a Master now before it may be too late, it can give you the possibility to find a better job, it can help you in your carrier. I see many job posts where firms look for translators who fulfilled their studies. It is also the chance to have a student life two years more and to have experiences that you can not have once working.

But I also do not know if that is the best decision...I hope !

Good luck

Marta
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Well... Apr 7, 2008

Hey Marta

But I also do not know if that is the best decision...I hope!

Well it doesn't hurt anyway.... you'll never know how things can turn in life and well..if you have the possibility, the time and the money to do a Master, then it's better and more prudent to do it!

Don't worry girl, it's not a bad decision - it could be really useful one day!
CheerZ,
Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

graduating in Translation in June...and then what?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »