Laura Gómez
Spain
Local time: 11:01
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 29, 2007

Hello everybody,

I am translating a large text from English into Spanish. The thing is that there are a lot of cultural references of Austria and words in german in the source text. My question is, what shall I do with these words in German? Obviously, I do not understand them because I do not speak German and it will happen the same with many of the final readers.
What is your opinion?

Thanks so much

And also, what if I would like to ask the meaning
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am translating a large text from English into Spanish. The thing is that there are a lot of cultural references of Austria and words in german in the source text. My question is, what shall I do with these words in German? Obviously, I do not understand them because I do not speak German and it will happen the same with many of the final readers.
What is your opinion?

Thanks so much

And also, what if I would like to ask the meaning of one of these words? I am only allowed to ask question in my languages...

Happy 2008!!!!

[Editado a las 2007-12-29 17:42]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-29 21:04]
Collapse

Aldana Gómez Ríos
Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hello Laura Dec 29, 2007

Perhaps the best option would be to leave them the way they are, if these words are not explained by the author, then the text is probably targeted at people who understand their meaning.
Anyways, just to be sure, could you provide a sample of the occurrence of these words in the text?
Danke! =P

Laura Rodriguez wrote:

Hello everybody,

What is your opinion?

Thanks so much

Laura Gómez
Laura Gómez
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SAMPLE Dec 29, 2007

Sure! Here is a sample:
"In the cupboard there were two fresh Topfen Golatsch from the AIDA Konditorei, her favourite breakfast"

As you can see, I don't think even the English readers know what is this. I guess it is a cake.

Best regards,
Laura

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Some answers Dec 29, 2007

Laura Rodriguez wrote:

Sure! Here is a sample:
"In the cupboard there were two fresh Topfen Golatsch from the AIDA Konditorei, her favourite breakfast"

As you can see, I don't think even the English readers know what is this. I guess it is a cake.

Best regards,
Laura

Hi Laura

You're almost right - Topfen is the Austrian word for cottage cheese and Golatsch is a kind of soup. AIDA Konditorei is a chain of pastry shops and tea houses. "Konditorei" are a typical Austrian institution.

If you need any help, do not hesitate to write me

Good luck !

Anne

orangelani
orangelani  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
footnotes Dec 30, 2007

Hello Laura!

I think that Aldana is right, the text is probably targeted at people who understand German. However, in such cases it is a common pracitice to explain the meaning of the words in footnotes. At least this is the way we do it at our uni

I'm sure Anne will help you with that

Happy New Year!

Ania

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
;-) Jan 9, 2008

Hey Laura !

How are you doing with that translation ? Is it finished ? Did you survive it ?
If you need any help, don't forget - we're here !

Good luck and take care girl,

CheerZ !
Anne

Laura Gómez
Laura Gómez
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation Jan 13, 2008

Hello Anne,

I'm still working on it, but almost finishing! First of all, I want to thank you and all the people for your support. And also, if you ever have any doubt in Spanish, you can contact me!

Regarding the subject, I know that the writer has a special relationship with Austria, where he lives, although he is from EEUU. This is why the use of german, but anyway I believe that the book is also targeted to english speaking readers, so what I did is trying to explain
... See more
Hello Anne,

I'm still working on it, but almost finishing! First of all, I want to thank you and all the people for your support. And also, if you ever have any doubt in Spanish, you can contact me!

Regarding the subject, I know that the writer has a special relationship with Austria, where he lives, although he is from EEUU. This is why the use of german, but anyway I believe that the book is also targeted to english speaking readers, so what I did is trying to explain in a few words, sometimes including the term in German, the original word.

It seems ok for me by now.

Again, thanks so much!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words in a language different to source text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »