Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:31
German to French
+ ...
Dec 3, 2007

Hi dear fellow StudentZ !

Now, as you may have noticed - "may" because we're all so overworked with university stuff, homework and end-of-term exams ! - Christmas is totally in the air - 20 days to go !

So, I was wondering, how do you celebrate the end of year holiday in your country ? How do you prepare it What are your X-mas traditions (X-mas tree, cooking, partying, etc...) ?

C'mon, let's
... See more
Hi dear fellow StudentZ !

Now, as you may have noticed - "may" because we're all so overworked with university stuff, homework and end-of-term exams ! - Christmas is totally in the air - 20 days to go !

So, I was wondering, how do you celebrate the end of year holiday in your country ? How do you prepare it What are your X-mas traditions (X-mas tree, cooking, partying, etc...) ?

C'mon, let's share !

CheerZ,
Anne
Collapse

Kaltya
Kaltya  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Christmas is in the air la la la laaa Dec 3, 2007

Well well.. yes... It smells like Christmas time!

Nice lights in every street, Christmas trees in every shop... guys playing the role of Santa in big high stores...

I also have bought many little lights to get involvedDD to have a nice atmosphere at my bedroom

Well the most important day in my family is the morning of the 22n
... See more
Well well.. yes... It smells like Christmas time!

Nice lights in every street, Christmas trees in every shop... guys playing the role of Santa in big high stores...

I also have bought many little lights to get involvedDD to have a nice atmosphere at my bedroom

Well the most important day in my family is the morning of the 22nd because is the day were the lottery price is given (so I may be rich in 20 days!!!!), the night of the 24th where I have dinner with my parents and one of my grandmas. This night my mum is all day long cooking for us, (we, of course, help her) and we usually eat every year scallops, lobster, crayfish, shrimps...etc. ---> nice seafood!!!ñam ñam ñammmmm!!! with some soups (mushroom, pumpkin, etc.) and after that, we have as dessert, typical Spanish things like: polvorones, turrón de almendras, yemas, higos secos, ...etc. (if you go to Spain in this season, you must buy this!!!!)

The lunch of the 25th, my uncles and cousins also come to our house to have lunch and after that get the Christmas gifts (it's the best part of the day, we have lots of fun!!!). We usually eat fish, like two different kinds of fish and some other seafood. My mum also include a big range of French (speciallly), Spanish, Dutch, and some other European types of cheese (we are a fan family of cheese!!!!) and drink tea or coffee. During the lunch we have water or a nice red or white wine (I love white wine!!!!).
The other big night is new years eve, where we eat some veggies and seafood, and the typical desserts from Spain jajajajja (We eat a lot... I know...that's the point at Christmas) and as we have the ring bells on we eat a grape for each ring bell till 12 and if you are able to eat all of them without choking, you will have a lucky year))) Most of the times I achieve it but we my mouth full of unchewed grapes (I know, lovely) and then we celebrate the new year with champagne or the Spanish cavaPPP

Well here you are Your turn!

¡¡¡Feliz Navidad a todos!!!! and good luck for those who have exams!!!!
Collapse

Kaltya
Kaltya  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here a link to hear some Christmas music Dec 4, 2007

In Soma Radio:

www.somaradio.com

It's very nice hear different songs from all over the World of this season of the yearDD

Old and new songs at Christmas

Beijinhoss...
See more
In Soma Radio:

www.somaradio.com

It's very nice hear different songs from all over the World of this season of the yearDD

Old and new songs at Christmas

Beijinhoss
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Christmas in Spain Dec 4, 2007

Ola Kaltya !

Thanks for your interesting post ! When I was learning Spanish in High School, the teacher told us that Christmas in Spain was a bit particular - the gifts are offered in January for King's Day. Is that true, or is it an old-fashioned tradition that tends to disappear ?

CheerZ
Anne

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Camels don't eat leaves Dec 4, 2007

The Kings tradition is one of my favorite, so I'll drop in with some stuff about that and an anecdote

In my family, the “Kings” tradition has always been somewhat stronger than Santa's. Not that we did not get our presents on Christmas day, but the biggest stuff came on the 6th of January, the day of the “Reyes Magos”,that in English would literally be the “Magic Kings” tough “Wise Kings” is mostly us
... See more
The Kings tradition is one of my favorite, so I'll drop in with some stuff about that and an anecdote

In my family, the “Kings” tradition has always been somewhat stronger than Santa's. Not that we did not get our presents on Christmas day, but the biggest stuff came on the 6th of January, the day of the “Reyes Magos”,that in English would literally be the “Magic Kings” tough “Wise Kings” is mostly used -which in a way sounds more sensible, as the combination of magic and biblical characters is, at least, curious.

Now, these Kings, Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar, look after all children of the world, task they apparently continued ever since they warned baby Jesus he was in danger, and they come from Orient, so naturally they travel on camels. On the night of the 5th of January they tour the world in their camels giving presents to the children that behaved well (the “behave well” part I suspect was not in the Bible). Apparently, the Kings got some second hand camels, as they need to eat and drink at every stop they make, so together with the pair of shoes that you have to leave outside the house (so that the Kings know you live there), it is the custom to put some and water and grass for the camels.

On one 5th of January, I must have been 5 or 6, it was late already and I was preparing everything for the magic guests with my father. So we put the shoes, the bucket with water and for the food for the camels my father went out in his pijamas and grabbed some leaves from the tree at our front door. 'But leaves! Camels don't eat leaves! It has to be grass!!' I started 'If we put leaves instead of grass they will not give me the bicycle!' . We lived in the center of the city and had no garden, so there was no grass around. My parents insisted that it was the same or even better, as they probably would find leaves tastier being bored with all the grass they would be getting in other kids' houses. But I did not want to hear about these new theories on camels eating habits, so my father, that was an angel, had to get dressed and walk in the middle of the night to the closest square and come back with a handful of grass, that he himself would be throwing away in a couple of hours!

The next day, I had my bike and was very much satisfied with the camels having found the grass so delicious that they had eaten it all.

'See, camels don't like leaves'
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Christmas markets Dec 13, 2007

Hi guys !

Here are some pictures of the Christmas market here. There's nothing extraordinary in it, but I've always loved the atmosphere ! They are nothing comparable to German Christmsa markets, and more to the Austrian ones, which I enjoyed and simply loves as a kid. I never found back in France the magic of the German and Austrian markets...

See more
Hi guys !

Here are some pictures of the Christmas market here. There's nothing extraordinary in it, but I've always loved the atmosphere ! They are nothing comparable to German Christmsa markets, and more to the Austrian ones, which I enjoyed and simply loves as a kid. I never found back in France the magic of the German and Austrian markets...

Post your nicest Chritsmas pics of your town full of lights and decoration - it would be so great to see cities throughout the world with their most beautiful end of year parures !

CheerZ,
Anne
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cities' trees Dec 23, 2007

Hi there !

I found some pictures of the most beautiful and impressive Christmas trees in France and thought I could share some of them with you !
These pics are available on the French website L'Internaute Magazine : www.linternaute.com/actualite/les-plus-beaux-sapins-de-noel/les-plus-beaux-sapins-de-noel.shtmlwww.linternaute.com/actualite/les-plus-beaux-sapins-de-noel/les-plus-beaux-sapins-de-noel.shtml

A sample of their collection of trees :

Here's the tree of the famous giant department store in Paris, Galeries Lafayettes :

And that's the cute Christmas tree of Disneyland Paris (25 m high !) :

Mind you, we saw a highest one at the ProZ.com Dortmund Conference 3 weeks ago - the giant tree is right in the middle of the Christmas markets, and this one is really really high ! You can see the pictures among the photos of the German Conference - here's the link to the forum : http://www.proz.com/topic/91064

CheerZ and merry Christmas,

Anne

[Modifié le 2007-12-23 16:15]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Christmas is in the air...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »