Student users-only topic

strategy to tanslate different kind of texts
Thread poster: zkn13
zkn13
zkn13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2007

i need to know the strategy to translate an informative text, a descriptive text, a narrative text and an argumentative text.

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:52
German to French
+ ...
More details Oct 20, 2007

Hi and welcome "zkn13" !
I think you're raising here an interesting point and issue for us all, translations students. But can you please develop your question a bit more, be more specific ?

Thanks !:-)
Looking forward to the interesing discussion that could raise this point !

CheerZ,
Anne

zkn13
zkn13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
strategy to translate different kind of texts Oct 21, 2007

well, what i am looking for is if there is a specific strategy to translate those kind of texts, i need them because i want to make up a test to see if some student of my collage know and use them properly. So any suggestion is welcome. bye

[Edited at 2007-10-21 22:00]

Francisca_
Francisca_

Dutch to English
+ ...
strategies Oct 24, 2007

Well, this question makes it sound like translation is some sort of war or football game.
"Ok so you take the left wing while I blitz out at Sanchez from our 2-1-4 formation, got it?"

Really I don't think there are strategies to translating a specific kind of text. I mean there are things we all know we need to do as a translator before being able to work with a text and (some of) those are:
- Fully understanding the text
- Fully understanding the culture of the la
... See more
Well, this question makes it sound like translation is some sort of war or football game.
"Ok so you take the left wing while I blitz out at Sanchez from our 2-1-4 formation, got it?"

Really I don't think there are strategies to translating a specific kind of text. I mean there are things we all know we need to do as a translator before being able to work with a text and (some of) those are:
- Fully understanding the text
- Fully understanding the culture of the languages you're going to be working with
- Being able to use translation tools in such a manner they aid you instead of confuse you
- Knowing the grammatical rules of the language into which you're translating

I can go on but I don't think that's actually what you mean? So yeah some more explanation as to what you'd like to know would be helpful.
Collapse

zkn13
zkn13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
strategy Oct 24, 2007

yeah!! you are all right. it's just that i thought that there might be a different strategy to translate those kind of texts as there are for "neologisms", technique texts and so on.
So if you are saying that we only need what you just posted, it is all right!!!!!!

Thanks

please if you find sth let me know

bless and peace

Noe M
Noe M  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
English to Spanish
Mona Baker and Text typology Nov 2, 2007

Hi, let's see if this helps:

Different type of texts differ from their characterics. We will reproduce a same type for the TT, and if the TC has different conventions or characteristics for their text model, then we adapt the ST to the TT model.

The most important is that the different text types have their own purpose (to convince, to inform, to push the reader to do something), and the language a function (e.g. Jackobson: metalingual, phatic, poetic, emotive, referen
... See more
Hi, let's see if this helps:

Different type of texts differ from their characterics. We will reproduce a same type for the TT, and if the TC has different conventions or characteristics for their text model, then we adapt the ST to the TT model.

The most important is that the different text types have their own purpose (to convince, to inform, to push the reader to do something), and the language a function (e.g. Jackobson: metalingual, phatic, poetic, emotive, referential and conative). And they have linguistic features.

So, from here, we don t write the TT using a unique strategy that works with a specific text type.

In the text we can find translation problems of equivalence (e.g. idioms), which can be solved with translation strategies of Mona Baker IN OTHER WORDS.

I am a student of translation and the above information may be wrong! Please tell me someone if so...but in case I am right, this would answer your question, and I would disqualify the idea of a different strategy for the different text types.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

strategy to tanslate different kind of texts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »