Thread poster: Megan McLarin (X)
Megan McLarin (X)
Megan McLarin (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2007

Hi,
Let's create a list of recommended books from all over the world and every language so that we can share favorite authors who aren't necessarily "classic". They can be contemporary or otherwise. It could be a helpful way to get acquainted with writers of whom we might otherwise have remained ignorant. They don't have to be "high literature" or anything, just a good read!!
Some of my favorite English language books are (in no particular order):

Jude the Obscure by Th
... See more
Hi,
Let's create a list of recommended books from all over the world and every language so that we can share favorite authors who aren't necessarily "classic". They can be contemporary or otherwise. It could be a helpful way to get acquainted with writers of whom we might otherwise have remained ignorant. They don't have to be "high literature" or anything, just a good read!!
Some of my favorite English language books are (in no particular order):

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Battersea Park Road to Englightenment by Isabelle Losada
Extra Virgin by Annie Hawes
The Greener Shore by Morgan Llewellyn
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
My Sister's Keeper by Anne Picoult
Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson
Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

there are more.... if you contribute!!
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two Argentinean pesos Oct 23, 2007

Hey great thread Meg!

I will contribute to the list with some Argentinean writers that I like.

Let's see...the list could be endless, but I'll be brief -and subjective.

I could start with Julio Cortázar, one of the best Argentinean writers. If you have not had the indescribable pleasure of unveiling the fantastic worlds that Cortázar has built with his words, please wait no more. For non Spanish speakers I heard Gregory Rabassa's translation into English
... See more
Hey great thread Meg!

I could start with Julio Cortázar, one of the best Argentinean writers. If you have not had the indescribable pleasure of unveiling the fantastic worlds that Cortázar has built with his words, please wait no more. For non Spanish speakers I heard Gregory Rabassa's translation into English of "Rayuela" is very good.
Why not continue with one of my favorites Oliverio Girondo, I could never get tired of reading his magic poetry in verse and prose.
Then there's the rebel son of Argentinean literature: Roberto Arlt -genius.
And I don't want to forget of Manuel Puig with his delicious games of intertextualities.
More visceral and contemporary, I like Alberto Laiseca, reading one of his books it's quite an experience.
Also, of the still alive, Federico Andahazi, Rodrigo Fresán and why not Alejandro Dolina.
Women: Silvina Ocampo and Alfonsina Storni.
I don't want to end this without mentioning Jorge Luis Borges, most surely the best writer from these lands, but if you've read the ones I mentioned above, you will see why I can't say he is one of my favorites. Probably too good for me

I'm leaving many out -and maybe my list is too obvious too- but I'm sure other Argentinean students can add to this.

I'm eager to read about literature from other countries too, so please share with us!

S.
Collapse

Anna Martinez
Anna Martinez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cortázar Oct 27, 2007

SoleProz wrote:

I could start with Julio Cortázar, one of the best Argentinean writers.

And one of the best translators of Edgar Allan Poe into Spanish, if I may add

MeganM
MeganM
Local time: 00:28
English
+ ...
oooh... Mar 4, 2008

SoleProz wrote:

Hey great thread Meg!

I could start with Julio Cortázar, one of the best Argentinean writers. If you have not had the indescribable pleasure of unveiling the fantastic worlds that Cortázar has built with his words, please wait no more. For non Spanish speakers I heard Gregory Rabassa's translation into English of "Rayuela" is very good.
Why not continue with one of my favorites Oliverio Girondo, I could never get tired of reading his magic poetry in verse and prose.
Then there's the rebel son of Argentinean literature: Roberto Arlt -genius.
And I don't want to forget of Manuel Puig with his delicious games of intertextualities.
More visceral and contemporary, I like Alberto Laiseca, reading one of his books it's quite an experience.
Also, of the still alive, Federico Andahazi, Rodrigo Fresán and why not Alejandro Dolina.
Women: Silvina Ocampo and Alfonsina Storni.
I don't want to end this without mentioning Jorge Luis Borges, most surely the best writer from these lands, but if you've read the ones I mentioned above, you will see why I can't say he is one of my favorites. Probably too good for me

I'm leaving many out -and maybe my list is too obvious too- but I'm sure other Argentinean students can add to this.

I'm eager to read about literature from other countries too, so please share with us!

S.

I'm excited to check out some of these whenever I get a chance to pick up a book or two that isn't assigned in a class!

I love getting book recommendations

~Megan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended Reading

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »