Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

Got some good news:

We are working on a new feature for university students and teachers to implement workflow and communication features as a complement to their class activities.

This feature was conceived as a tool to facilitate teaching, learning, networking and communicating.

It was deviced with the help and advice of a teacher from the translation course at University of La Plata in Argentina and we are setting off with a pilot with her group of stud
... See more
Got some good news:

We are working on a new feature for university students and teachers to implement workflow and communication features as a complement to their class activities.

This feature was conceived as a tool to facilitate teaching, learning, networking and communicating.

It was deviced with the help and advice of a teacher from the translation course at University of La Plata in Argentina and we are setting off with a pilot with her group of students next week.

We'll initially have an area for assignments, class material and class information. We'll implement classmate and teacher instant messaging tools and also discussions forums and a proofreading area.

We want to offer students and teachers a useful feature to join the many different tools for communication and working they might be using (mailing lists, noticeboards, photocopies, blogs) in one place.

When you all, in many different countries have joined in, I imagine your translation classrooms also opening to the world, and you sharing your experience, learning from each other, creating cultural bridges, stretching the reach of your classrooms to places you might have never imagined before.

I know that great teachers can change the world, motivate, inspire. I trust that you students will grow to fulfill all your dreams and goals. We are creating this space to make all that possible. To go beyond.

I'll keep you posted on this project, and just let me know if you'd like to join in.

Later!

Soledad.
Collapse

Kevin Kaland
Kevin Kaland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
So what will it be? Aug 8, 2007

So it will be like a place to keep track of one's assignments and materials associated with those?

How will the instant messaging between students and teachers fit in? Will students invite their teachers to participate, or...?

Thanks,
Kevin

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more details on this new tool Aug 8, 2007

It will work like this: a teacher of a given subject at a university creates a "ProZ.com classroom" and invites the students. Students the apply to this course, and if they are in the class roll the teacher approves them into the course.

Teachers will create and manage the class (as it happens in real life), but I think that anyone could bring this initiative to the class and create a virtual classroom if both students and teachers consider that it will enhance their class experie
... See more
It will work like this: a teacher of a given subject at a university creates a "ProZ.com classroom" and invites the students. Students the apply to this course, and if they are in the class roll the teacher approves them into the course.

Teachers will create and manage the class (as it happens in real life), but I think that anyone could bring this initiative to the class and create a virtual classroom if both students and teachers consider that it will enhance their class experience.

In this case we will be working with and English Language class and we designed an assignment area where the teacher will post instructions for their writings and students will submit their pieces. After the deadline, the teacher will find all the submitted texts in the assignment area, correct them, make comments, exchange views with the student and "hand it back". Students will only see their pieces and could have private or public conversations with their teachers.

As students and teachers join in we will be creating tools that come useful for different subjects and teachers. For example, in this pilot we are doing, the teacher wanted a tool for her students to work with peer proofreading and grading so that they grew more independent in their production and got grasp of the correction methods and criteria. Also we want to create special audio features for phonetics classes, or include audio options as well. I think that possibilities are endless, and we will be creating that together.

Students in a class may have public discussions through forums, but if they want to have private conversations with one or a group of students or with the teacher, they will just have to double click on a person in the roll and start the messaging. I think it will be very useful when working in groups, last minute exam doubts, studying with a buddy or having a question for the teacher, to name a few cases.

As I said before, this will surely grow and improve with the experience and advice from the student and teacher community, and since we may create as many features as we can imagine... I guess something fantastic will come out of this.

Please ask me any questions you might have!

See you,

Sole
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A tour of ProZ.com classrooms Sep 12, 2007

Hi all!

This is a link to a tour of ProZ.com classrooms: www.proz.com/classrooms_tour .

As you know, at the moment we are running a pilot project with a group of translation and teaching students, and the screenshots you'll see are a beta version that we are testing and improving with this group and their teacher.

I know that some of you are already familiar with
... See more
Hi all!

This is a link to a tour of ProZ.com classrooms: www.proz.com/classrooms_tour .

As you know, at the moment we are running a pilot project with a group of translation and teaching students, and the screenshots you'll see are a beta version that we are testing and improving with this group and their teacher.

I know that some of you are already familiar with this kind of platform or are using one at your school, so maybe we could also exchange views and experience on this. We have been shaping this listening to the needs and suggestions of this university group, and I'm sure that many of you will have some great ideas as well.

Well...this is a small sample of what it is to come...hope you like it!

If you are interested and want to "try it now", please contact me.

See ya!
Collapse

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:29
Chinese to French
+ ...
I agree Sep 13, 2007

"I know that great teachers can change the world, motivate, inspire."

It was one single great high-school teacher, passionned for culture and languages who made my mind upon my future.

Joan SM (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools for university students and teachers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »