Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:11
German to French
+ ...
Welcome Aurélie and Dani ! Oct 5, 2007

Hey girls, welcome here, it's great to meet you !

Well, Dani, glad reading this topic made you decide to introduce yourself !

Aurélie, of course I do remember you, it's really great to have you here ! - That makes 2 of us from the ESTRI in this huuuuuuuge community ! So you started a couple of weeks ago - how do you like it ?

So girls, you take care, and "see" you soon !
CheerZ,
... See more
Hey girls, welcome here, it's great to meet you !

Well, Dani, glad reading this topic made you decide to introduce yourself !

Aurélie, of course I do remember you, it's really great to have you here ! - That makes 2 of us from the ESTRI in this huuuuuuuge community ! So you started a couple of weeks ago - how do you like it ?

So girls, you take care, and "see" you soon !
CheerZ,

Anne
Collapse

Aurélie Charvet
Aurélie Charvet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Hi Anne! Oct 6, 2007

I do like classes at "ESTRI" and it's so nice to be in a professional section for once! I feel like I'm really learning useful things!

I'll tell you more when you start your 5th year, in November I guess, I'm sure we'll find the time to meet and chat!

Hope to talk yo everyone soon!

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Yep, November Oct 6, 2007

Morning there
Well, I'm glad you like it in our great college - you're right, this professionnal section is really well built and rich !
We'll sure talk about it soon - Yep, that's right, we "oldies" are coming back on November 5th - but we are all going to be at the ESTRI a bit earlier, in 2 weeks time, for our oral exam
Hope the both of us will ge
... See more
Morning there
Well, I'm glad you like it in our great college - you're right, this professionnal section is really well built and rich !
We'll sure talk about it soon - Yep, that's right, we "oldies" are coming back on November 5th - but we are all going to be at the ESTRI a bit earlier, in 2 weeks time, for our oral exam
Hope the both of us will get a chance to chat over a nice cup of coffee !

Take care girl and "see" you later !
CheerZ,

Anne
Collapse

Ozge Olcay
Ozge Olcay
Local time: 12:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
Merhaba from Turkey! Oct 6, 2007

Hellooooo Everyone!

Oh I'm so excited to be here and it's great to meet you all! OK, so I'm the first Turkish student around here and my name is Özgé(read it as if in French but "g" is pronounced as in "go". I'm 20 years old and have been studying at the Translation Studies department of Bogazici University in Istanbul for the last four years.

The first three years I studied translation and am spending
... See more
Hellooooo Everyone!

Oh I'm so excited to be here and it's great to meet you all! OK, so I'm the first Turkish student around here and my name is Özgé(read it as if in French but "g" is pronounced as in "go". I'm 20 years old and have been studying at the Translation Studies department of Bogazici University in Istanbul for the last four years.

The first three years I studied translation and am spending my fourth year studying interpreting with some great instructors of the field. In February I'll go to Spain to study at Valladolid University for a semester as a part of ERASMUS student exchange program. Right now that's what I'm looking forward to Of course, becoming an interpreter is just as exciting for me.

What I love about interpreting is the impossibility of having a monotonous job or life. You're always on the go, working with different people each time and tackling different sorts of problems which emerge as different little shocks each time you encounter them. The unpredictability of what you're going to face the next day makes it such an adrenalin-loving profession. Where will you be working the next week? In another city, country or even at another continent?

Of course training to become a full-fledged interpreter is a little onerous, but believe me it's worth it.

My working languages are Turkish and English right now, but I hope to be able to work with Spanish in a few years time. Right now I'm an intermediate speaker I should say. But hey! Here I come Valladolid!

I'm interested in gastronomy and the Ottoman Cuisine and hope to have time to be interested in history and arts as well. I admire cats, too Maybe a study concerning the love of cats in translators and interpreters should be carried out- ha ha.

In future I don't know for certain what I'll be doing although I definitely want to live abroad for a while, and not only in the West, Eastern cultures seem pretty charming, too.

Getting to know you guys is wonderful, I hope we'll build great international friendships in time.

This seems to be all about me, nice to meet you all and I wish every dreamer more will to dream.

Görüşmek üzere(see you later or more like auswiedersehen),

Özgé

[Edited at 2007-10-06 11:31]

[Edited at 2007-10-06 13:08]

[Edited at 2007-10-06 13:08]
Collapse

Marina Ochoa Fernandez
Marina Ochoa Fernandez
Local time: 06:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Morning everyone!!! Oct 6, 2007

Well, I know it's morning somewhere. Anyway...

Hello everyone! My name is Marina Ochoa (if you check my profile, you'll probably see that my name is way longer), I'm 21 years old and I'm an English student in Argentina.

Now, my history: I started studying English when I was 7 years old, at a local institute called ARICANA. I got my Proficiency decree in 2003 and the following year I began studying at another institute to become a translator, and now I'm two months away
... See more
Well, I know it's morning somewhere. Anyway...

Hello everyone! My name is Marina Ochoa (if you check my profile, you'll probably see that my name is way longer), I'm 21 years old and I'm an English student in Argentina.

Now, my history: I started studying English when I was 7 years old, at a local institute called ARICANA. I got my Proficiency decree in 2003 and the following year I began studying at another institute to become a translator, and now I'm two months away from graduating. I'm also a teacher's assistant in first year.
I've been studying English nonstop for 14 years now. I don't want to brag about it but I'm actually proud of myself. ^_^

Next year, I intend to continue my studies for interpreting and teaching. I'm already enrolled in college for both of them and they should take me two more years to complete, since I will already be a translator.

Spanish and English are the languages I work best with, but I can also speak French and a little Japanese (my best friend's mother tongue) and Basque (my granfather's mother tongue). I'm actually studying the last two at the same time.

That's my story so far. I hope to read about other members soon.

XXOOXX
Collapse

Angie Ng
Angie Ng
Local time: 17:11
English to Malay
+ ...
Greetings Oct 7, 2007

Hi,

I'm from Malaysia. Currently a final year student in B.A English studies in the National University of Malaysia (UKM).

I'm not a 'real' translation student, but i took all the elective translation subjects. In a way, i'm minoring in translation and majors in English studies.

This semester is the 4th translation subject i took, it's not leveled but the difficulty varies.
Next semester (my final sem) i'll be taking the 5th: Translation in Literatu
... See more
Hi,

I'm from Malaysia. Currently a final year student in B.A English studies in the National University of Malaysia (UKM).

I'm not a 'real' translation student, but i took all the elective translation subjects. In a way, i'm minoring in translation and majors in English studies.

This semester is the 4th translation subject i took, it's not leveled but the difficulty varies.
Next semester (my final sem) i'll be taking the 5th: Translation in Literature.

I'm 22 this October 2007.

-rgs ngyenpeng
Collapse

Black_Satin
Black_Satin
Local time: 19:11
English to French
+ ...
Salut le monde! Oct 7, 2007

Hey everyone! Or salut. Or whatever. =3

Born in England, moved to Switzerland, then moved to Australia. Pleased to meet everyone here! =)

Having spent eight years in Switzerland, I learnt French, done five years of German, and a year of Italian. ^.^ I started developing a love for languages by about the time I started learning German. Nowadays, I kind of dislike German (because of previous teachers), and I sort of wish there were more languages available at school. Oh w
... See more
Hey everyone! Or salut. Or whatever. =3

Born in England, moved to Switzerland, then moved to Australia. Pleased to meet everyone here! =)

Having spent eight years in Switzerland, I learnt French, done five years of German, and a year of Italian. ^.^ I started developing a love for languages by about the time I started learning German. Nowadays, I kind of dislike German (because of previous teachers), and I sort of wish there were more languages available at school. Oh well.

I'm currently teaching myself Japanese (and it's going alright), and I later on I would like to move to Japan in order to teach English as a second language. And maybe French, too. I'm really unprofessional, if you haven't noticed. >>;;
I've only done a few translations- mostly unnofficially-at events that required certain administrators of different backgrounds to communicate with a varied public. And showing people around town. That was fun...

I'm quite open to suggestions on how to improve this. So far, I haven't had any official demands, or anything. ^^'' I'm still only seventeen, so I guess that somehow influences it, right?

Well- whatever the case... It's good to be here!
Collapse

Bullkane
Bullkane
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice to meet you all! Oct 7, 2007

Hello everybody, my name's Joaquin Cano and I'm from Malaga, a beautiful city in the south of Spain. I'm 20 and I'm a junior student of English Philology at Malaga University. I've always loved languages, since I was a little child, I always thought how incredibly we (human beings) manage to communicate. And I think that our labour, to translate and interprete, it's the very bridge between cultural differences in this world. The first hipotheses of the origins of language were based in the divin... See more
Hello everybody, my name's Joaquin Cano and I'm from Malaga, a beautiful city in the south of Spain. I'm 20 and I'm a junior student of English Philology at Malaga University. I've always loved languages, since I was a little child, I always thought how incredibly we (human beings) manage to communicate. And I think that our labour, to translate and interprete, it's the very bridge between cultural differences in this world. The first hipotheses of the origins of language were based in the divine source, i.e. when humanity first wondered why we speak and where does this virtue come from, the supposed that their god gave them this faculty (such as the biblical passage of "The Babel Tower" which says that after humanity challenged God, he gave us the different languages to make impossible communication between us, the different peoples), then other more rational theories about language origins appeared but actually, there must be something magic in the beginnings, I mean, metaphorically, that although it sprang spontaneously, it sprang everywhere, actually, we refer to spoken language, as every living being has some kind of language to communicate with their equals, the others in their species.
As I began telling you, I love languages, I am a native Spanish speaker, but I also speak English, some French, and I am studying German, and I've read some books about Arabic. I've also studied classical languages (Latin, Greek), and other ancient languages as Old, Middle and Modern English. I love translation, I love the relation you can find between terms in different languages, I don't want to stop studying languages throughout my life, so I hope to meet kind people from every corner in this world, to learn more about different cultures, and their languages, I like everything about languages, and I like people who like the same (I think you all). I want to improve my languages, and learn new more. So if whatever you can tell me, and nice to meet you all!
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome guys !!!! :-) Oct 7, 2007

Wow, it's great and very interesting to read you all !
Thanks and welcome Ozge, Marina, Angie, Black Satin and Bulkane in our community - it's great to have you here !

Have a nice weekend and see you soon !
CheerZ,

Anne

Yawen Meng
Yawen Meng
Local time: 17:11
English to Chinese
Izzie from China Oct 7, 2007

It's nice here with you all.
I'm Izzie, now in Chongqing as a junior at college. Of course, my major is English.
To be a translator is part of my dream...zzzz

marijkek
marijkek  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
Introducing myself Oct 9, 2007

Greetings to everyone,

Thank you for the welcoming words you sent me. I seem to be the first Dutch student to enter an introduction (and probably the oldest one too). I loved reading about you all and hope to learn more.
As I already told you, I am from The Netherlands. I was born in Rotterdam and lived in various places since. My father liked to move a lot and I took over. I became a nurse and worked in various hospitals. At a low point in my career I started a study to becom
... See more
Greetings to everyone,

Thank you for the welcoming words you sent me. I seem to be the first Dutch student to enter an introduction (and probably the oldest one too). I loved reading about you all and hope to learn more.
As I already told you, I am from The Netherlands. I was born in Rotterdam and lived in various places since. My father liked to move a lot and I took over. I became a nurse and worked in various hospitals. At a low point in my career I started a study to become a translator but nursing decided otherwise. Another move, back to Rotterdam, and more study. I met my husband on the ICU-ward of the university hospital. We married, had two sons and moved to a little village. We still live there; it seems my moving days are over. I became a full time mother and started to work in a play group. That meant more study to learn more about child care and education.
Our boys are now 18 and 15. Time for me to move on and start a new career. I hope to finish my studies in March next year after a last exam in December. This summer I translated a manual of a photo camera for my mother and had a great time searching the internet to provide her with the best possible explanation. My best opportunities seem to be in translating medical items but my heart is in literature. Finding the best possible words to interpret the meaning and atmosphere of a text is my ambition, but right now I'm still looking for the best way to get started.
My hobbies are reading, singing in a vocalgroup, walking and biking (Dutch, you know).
I hope to learn more about you and learn more about the profession.
Greatings and tot ziens
Marijke.
Collapse

Tinwene
Tinwene
Polish to English
+ ...
Hello:D Oct 9, 2007

What shall I write? I'm from Poland, from Gdańsk (it is a big city at the Baltic Sea) and I translate as an amateur, but quite successfully.

I am not studying yet but I gonna start the next September, hopefully in Kraków (Microelectronics and biomedical device).

I love travelling, sailing and swimming. Connecting 2 of my most favourites things I try to write a lot of articles as well as solving some unusual mathematical problems.

I hope that's enough, as
... See more
What shall I write? I'm from Poland, from Gdańsk (it is a big city at the Baltic Sea) and I translate as an amateur, but quite successfully.

I am not studying yet but I gonna start the next September, hopefully in Kraków (Microelectronics and biomedical device).

I love travelling, sailing and swimming. Connecting 2 of my most favourites things I try to write a lot of articles as well as solving some unusual mathematical problems.

I hope that's enough, as I have no idea what else to write.
Collapse

ARIANNA PEREZ
ARIANNA PEREZ
Local time: 03:11
English to Spanish
Hola a todos!! Oct 9, 2007

Hello eveybody!! My name is Arianna, I'm from Mexico and I'm 22 years old.

I just graduated from Applied Linguistics.

Well, I hope to meet a lot of people here!!

Nice to meet you all!!
sorry, but I have to go because I'm working

Arianna

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome guys !!! Oct 10, 2007

Hi guys, thank you Yawene, Marijkek, Tinwene and Arianna Thanks for introducing youselves - Nice to meet you all !

I would like to welcome Emkonet and GabL in our Community !
Welcome guys !!

CheerZ,
Anne

younes-01
younes-01
Local time: 10:11
Arabic to English
+ ...
Good job Soledad Oct 11, 2007

Hi my friends,

my name is Youness, i am 22 years old and I am from Maroc.
I am currently a student enrolling in a school of translation, and I look forward to widen my background as to the sphere of translation. I am also eager to make new friends in the proz.com forums.

It's really nice to have so many people excited about translating and making exchange. These forums, which i am talking about, are really nicely made. They are created in an elegant and presentabl
... See more
Hi my friends,

my name is Youness, i am 22 years old and I am from Maroc.
I am currently a student enrolling in a school of translation, and I look forward to widen my background as to the sphere of translation. I am also eager to make new friends in the proz.com forums.

It's really nice to have so many people excited about translating and making exchange. These forums, which i am talking about, are really nicely made. They are created in an elegant and presentable way to let us, students and professionals of the field of translation, have an easy and fluid access to a variety of materials and data that are very crucial.

I would like to thank Soledad and other moderators and staff members for their permanent struggle and exhaustion to offer us the best they can, and I think no matter who we are or where we come from, Proz.com has truly succeeded in bringing us all together.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introductions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »