Student users-only topic

Student Interpreter
Thread poster: MYRAVAN
MYRAVAN
MYRAVAN
United States
Sep 4, 2015

Hello!

This is my first year in the program for Interpreter and Translation. Translating documents is one of the biggest challenges I'm facing. Obviously translating verbatim doesn't send a clear message. When I'm struggling, I translate the entire sentence verbatim, then move words around or search for synonyms that best fits into the context. The other thing I do is sleep on it, clear my head but this requires too much time. Are there any suggestions or tips I can get about transl
... See more
Hello!

This is my first year in the program for Interpreter and Translation. Translating documents is one of the biggest challenges I'm facing. Obviously translating verbatim doesn't send a clear message. When I'm struggling, I translate the entire sentence verbatim, then move words around or search for synonyms that best fits into the context. The other thing I do is sleep on it, clear my head but this requires too much time. Are there any suggestions or tips I can get about translating documents?
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Are you translating into your native language? Sep 4, 2015

MYRAVAN wrote:

Hello!

This is my first year in the program for Interpreter and Translation. Translating documents is one of the biggest challenges I'm facing. Obviously translating verbatim doesn't send a clear message. When I'm struggling, I translate the entire sentence verbatim, then move words around or search for synonyms that best fits into the context. The other thing I do is sleep on it, clear my head but this requires too much time. Are there any suggestions or tips I can get about translating documents?

If so, translation shouldn't be that hard. And it needn't to be that complicated. If you it so hard to translate it means you need to improve your second language first before seriously considering taking translation jobs.

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Local time: 07:06
Member (2015)
French to English
Seleskovitch Sep 4, 2015

Hi Myravan and welcome to Proz. Where are you studying ?

Personally, I am a great proponent of Danica Seleskovitch's "Interpretive Theory of Translation", also known as the "Theory of Sense". This is the theory developed and taught at l'ESIT in Paris.

If you are not familiar with it, I highly suggest you do some reading on the subject. But basically the idea is to "deverbalise" the source text, meaning you seperate the meaning from the source words used to express it. K
... See more
Hi Myravan and welcome to Proz. Where are you studying ?

Personally, I am a great proponent of Danica Seleskovitch's "Interpretive Theory of Translation", also known as the "Theory of Sense". This is the theory developed and taught at l'ESIT in Paris.

If you are not familiar with it, I highly suggest you do some reading on the subject. But basically the idea is to "deverbalise" the source text, meaning you seperate the meaning from the source words used to express it. Keeping only the meaning in your mind, you then reformulate the original sense using words, phrases and idioms you would naturally use to express it in the target language. I find this method helps make the target text come out sounding more natural with less "bleed over" from word choices or sentence structures from the source text.

Good luck in your studies !
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Student Interpreter

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »