https://www.proz.com/forum/studentz_forum/171338-ssml_gregorio_vii_v_ssml_carlo_bo.html&phpv_redirected=1

Student users-only topic

SSML Gregorio VII v. SSML Carlo Bo
Thread poster: nmarino
May 19, 2010

Hello all.

I am an undergraduate senior who will graduate with a dual BA in Italian and English literature next June. I've been looking into translation graduate programs and it seems that there are not that many American universities that regularly offer Italian to English translation as a course of study, as compared to Spanish to English, French to English, etc. Therefore I have been considering programs in the UK and in Italy, and obviously given a choice between the two I would
... See more
Hello all.

I am an undergraduate senior who will graduate with a dual BA in Italian and English literature next June. I've been looking into translation graduate programs and it seems that there are not that many American universities that regularly offer Italian to English translation as a course of study, as compared to Spanish to English, French to English, etc. Therefore I have been considering programs in the UK and in Italy, and obviously given a choice between the two I would choose a program in Italy, preferably in Rome.

My question is why there is such a large difference between the cost of a Master degree at SSML Gregorio VII and SSML Carlo Bo? Is it a question of the quality of the degree or the reputation of the school? My Italian is by no means perfect yet, but from what I could gather from their respective websites it seems that the former costs around €1.000 while the latter is between about €3.000 and €5.000, depending I believe upon the income of the student or perhaps the family, I cannot tell which. In any case I am not at the moment an Italian citizen but I expect to become one by the time of attendance by means of Jure Sanguinis as my grandparents are dual citizens.

Also, if anyone knows of any programs in Italy (or in the US) that offer Italian to English training it would be most helpful. I have looked into SSML Forli and SSLMIT but it seems that these schools require a knowledge of two foreign languages in addition to the student's mother tongue and I am looking for something that only requires knowledge of two languages.

Thank you for your time.

[Edited at 2010-05-19 17:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SSML Gregorio VII v. SSML Carlo Bo

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »