https://www.proz.com/forum/studentz_forum/161309-degree_no_degree_or_certificate_from_an_association.html&phpv_redirected=1

Student users-only topic

Degree, no degree or certificate from an association
Thread poster: Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
Local time: 03:59
English to Italian
Mar 26, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am yet another wanna-be translator.

Unfortunately I have discovered this new passion away from home, so getting a degree from an Italian University seems out of the question (our universities do not offer as many on-line options as others do around the world).

I have been browsing the net for quite some time now, and just when I thought I had found a course that might have been "the one" (Master in Traduzione per l'editoria - on line course
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am yet another wanna-be translator.

Unfortunately I have discovered this new passion away from home, so getting a degree from an Italian University seems out of the question (our universities do not offer as many on-line options as others do around the world).

I have been browsing the net for quite some time now, and just when I thought I had found a course that might have been "the one" (Master in Traduzione per l'editoria - on line course offered by IATI) I found a discussion on ProZ about IATI. The part that got my attention (and got me worried) was a mention of how none of diplomas/certificates/masters that can be obtained from the many Italian associations for translators are actually recognised.

All I am looking for is a learning tool that I can use from New Zealand (preferably with a tutor - as I have discovered how disheartening it can be to study with no "professional" help/guidance) to get my skills up before It try to market myself. I would hate to make a bad name for myself by offering below-standard translations.

I have been browsings the forums and there are lots of posts from people, with no translation degrees and 10/20 years experience, who say that a degree really isn't necessary.

However, I do believe that with this much competition, and in a day and age where lots of people do speak at least two languages, some sort of qualification would indeed help.

I have also always been a bit of a library rat and I do like absorbing knowledge from others so the idea of training is very appealing. However I am not getting any younger and as an adult learner I do want to get the best possible training.

Now my question is: how do I find out which courses are well respected (if not recognised) or, better, are there any on-line course - that are not university courses - that are indeed respected or recognised?

So, this is just a cry for help (I apologise if it is the 10000000th of its kind).

I am now trying to decide whether I want to invest 1600 euro in a course run by IATI (in a subject that really interests me) or I should choose to go for the 700 euro course offered by WLS Ireland which would prepare me for an exam at the Institute of Linguists (yet another association)?

I am at a loss.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Stef
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Degree, no degree or certificate from an association

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »