Student users-only topic

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Launching the First StudentZ Translation Contest!
Thread poster: Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:30
German to French
+ ...
Apr 15, 2008

Dear fellow Students,

We promised it to you, now it's finally on : the First StudentZ Translation Contest!

The topic of the contest is "Initiation".
Here are your guidelines - every info you need is here (if this is not the case, feel free to ask your question in that thread.

----------------------------------------------------------

Languages

Translations can be made i
... See more
Dear fellow Students,

We promised it to you, now it's finally on : the First StudentZ Translation Contest!

The topic of the contest is "Initiation".
Here are your guidelines - every info you need is here (if this is not the case, feel free to ask your question in that thread.

----------------------------------------------------------

Languages

Translations can be made into any language.
You will have the possibility of making entries and voting in languages you have declared in your profile. (having only English as a source that will be English to X )

When you submit your entry, you have to select a target language (from a pull down menu with your language pairs)

During voting phase (qualification and final) you will be able to select languages (from that menu or they can appear as links) and vote only in your language pairs.

After the contest is closed you will have the chance to see all entries that got to the finals.

There are no restrictions with regard to the number of language pairs in which a qualified student can submit entries.

Careful though : only one entry may be made per language pair.

Language pairs that collect at least three entries are considered valid contest pairs.

Participants

Student users and members - that is account type student.

During submission phase you only see your entry. Participants may edit entries as many times as they want during the submission phase. Once the submission phase is closed, entries can no longer be edited.

During the voting phase, you'll see the entries but not the participants' names.
When the contest closes, you'll see all entries that got to the finals and the names of the contestants, those who didn't choose that their name remains hidden.

Voting

Voting is done separately for each language pair. Depending on the number of entries, there are one or two rounds of voting.

When we have more than six entries, there will be a qualification round.
The qualification round will last one week and voters will have 7 positive points with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (4), two (2) and one (1).

The six entries that get more votes go to the finals, and the rest of the entries are automatically out.

If two - or more - entries get the same points they all go to the finals and that is counted as one spot among the six places for the final round.

During qualification round (if we have one) submission for pairs with more than three entries will end, though it will be possible to make entries in pairs with less than three entries.

In "final round" voting, voters are asked to select the entry that they consider the best of the group. Second and third best entries may also be designated, with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (4), two (2) and one (1), respectively. The entry that collects the most points in final round voting, wins.

Voters

Voting is open to all members and to the users who have been registered on the site for at least 1 month (that is freelancers and students) and who lists the language pair of the entry they are voting for among the working or interest pairs in their profile.

In the qualifying round, you can vote to qualify entries other than your own for the finals.
In the finals, you can vote for an entry other than your own as the best.

Prizes

The winner will be awarded one year of student membership and 1000 BrowniZ points
Each contestant will be awarded 100 BrowniZ

Comments/feedback

During final phase voters will have the chance to give feedback on the entries on this very forum thread - also, all matters related to the First ProZ.com Student Translation Contest will be discussed here.

Please note that no public comments on the submitted entries, or on the possible ways to translate the source texts will be allowed in forums or elsewhere during the qualification and voting phases. However, linguistic discussion about the difficulties posed by the texts and ways to approach them is welcome once - and only once - the voting is over.

Disqualification

All translations must be original works. If there is confirmed fraud in voting phase, the entry will be disqualified.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You have until Monday, May 5th 2008, 15.GMT to submit your translation on the Students Contests voting platform

Now guys, let's have fun, and good luck!
Collapse

plotka
plotka  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Contest -how to submit Apr 21, 2008

Thank you for your email but I have one question : I would like to submit my work when it is ready but when I click on Click here to submit your entry on (http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/casual_contest&sp_mode=contest&contest_id=8) nothing happens why is it so?

Thanks for your response.

Agnieszka Grzyb -plotka

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe it's the target language Apr 21, 2008

Hi Agnieszka,

I have tested the platform from your account and everything is OK.

A possible problem: have you selected a target language when submitting?

Please try again and let me know if you could post this time.

Thanks!

Soledad

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
What browser are you using? Apr 21, 2008

Hi Agnieska,

A question that might give us a hint: what browser are you using?

Thanks,

Sole

plotka
plotka  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
About browser Apr 21, 2008

I am using Mozilla Firefox

If that would help

But even when I tried by Internet Explorer the same happens -when I try to click on "click here" nothing opens so I cannot write my translated text in any place not to mention choosing any target language because I do not see no pull down menu and no place to write my text when I click.

[Edited at 2008-04-21 19:02]

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great you could post Apr 22, 2008

Hi Agniezka,

I am glad to see you could finally post.

By the way, it is great to see so many entries already The new and good old faces participating!

Remember that to have a competition, that means for each pair to go to the finals, we need at least three entries in each pair. Some pairs already have them, but well you can all help to see your language pairs in the final rounds by participat
... See more
Hi Agniezka,

I am glad to see you could finally post.

By the way, it is great to see so many entries already The new and good old faces participating!

Remember that to have a competition, that means for each pair to go to the finals, we need at least three entries in each pair. Some pairs already have them, but well you can all help to see your language pairs in the final rounds by participating or telling friends! Do not miss the chance!

So, happy translating!

CheerZ,

Sole
Collapse

Gacela20
Gacela20  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Source Text Apr 22, 2008

Where's the link to the source text? I've searched all over and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Apr 23, 2008

Gacela20 wrote:

Where's the link to the source text? I've searched all over and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Hi Gacela

It's right here :

You have until Monday, May 5th 2008, 15.GMT to submit your translation on the Students Contests voting platform

The red part "Students Contests voting platform" in the post is the link.

CheerZ,
Anne

[Modifié le 2008-04-23 06:14]

Anca Moșescu and André Heliodoro
Anca Moșescu and André Heliodoro  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:30
English to Romanian
+ ...
how to submit Apr 23, 2008

Hi,

I was wondering...I followed the link student contest platform, I read the source text, but I cannot seem to find the link to the submitting part. Could you help me out?

Thanks a lot,
Anca

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
right under Apr 23, 2008

Hi Daniah

The link to the submittin part is right under the source text "Click here to submit your entry".

Good luck for your translation!
CheerZ,
Anne

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language pair: source has to be English Apr 23, 2008

You will have the possibility of making entries and voting in languages you have declared in your profile. (having only English as a source that will be English to X )

Hi Anca,

You can't seeing the submit button because you don't have an "English to X" pair listed in your profile.

If you also translate from English into another language, please go to your Profile Updater http://www.proz.com/?sp=quick_profile&eid_s= and add it in the language pairs field (item 8).

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Soledad

Richard Harrison (X)
Richard Harrison (X)
Local time: 07:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Question! Apr 24, 2008

Will I be able to post a submission in French and another in Spanish, or will I have to choose which language to do?

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
It will be great! Apr 24, 2008

Hi Richard,

There are no restrictions with regard to the number of language pairs in which a qualified student can submit entries.

Careful though : only one entry may be made per language pair.

So, sure, you may make one entry in English to Spanish and one entry in English to French!

I know one or two students are planning to do that too, so after the contest finishes and we can talk about the translation challenges, it will be great to learn about your experience into more than one language

See you around!

Sole

Anca Moșescu and André Heliodoro
Anca Moșescu and André Heliodoro  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:30
English to Romanian
+ ...
tks Apr 25, 2008

Hi Anne and Soledad,

Thank you for shedding light on the sea of electronic darkness I was in, now I can finally submit the translation. All that is left to do is get started.

Thanks again,
Daniah

Edwige REVAUD-SILVENT
Edwige REVAUD-SILVENT
France
English to French
+ ...
submit my entry on studentz contest !! May 1, 2008

Hi everybody, I have translated the text, but nothing happens when I click on 'submit my entry'. I have chosen my target language, which is French. is it normal? or I don't have the right system ? Thanks in advance.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Launching the First StudentZ Translation Contest!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »