Vista 64 bit compatible Speech recognition software?
Thread poster: Juliet Haydock
Juliet Haydock
Juliet Haydock  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

Does anyone know a speech recognition program compatible with Vista 64 bit? Dragon 9.5 is only compatible with Vista 32 bit sadly.
Thanks
Juliet

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 08:40
English
64 bit response Mar 10, 2008

The problem with the 64-bit version of DNS is not that it won't work in a 64-bit environment. If you could get it installed, it would work in a 64-bit environment. In fact, some of us have done this by going through the back door. However, the problem with running DNS 9.5 in a 64-bit environment is that it works fine for 32-bit applications, but the 64-bit thunking requires an excessive amount of time and results in DNS performing way too slowly. The reason that Nuance has locked out the abi... See more
The problem with the 64-bit version of DNS is not that it won't work in a 64-bit environment. If you could get it installed, it would work in a 64-bit environment. In fact, some of us have done this by going through the back door. However, the problem with running DNS 9.5 in a 64-bit environment is that it works fine for 32-bit applications, but the 64-bit thunking requires an excessive amount of time and results in DNS performing way too slowly. The reason that Nuance has locked out the ability to install it on a 64-bit OS is because they don't want the technical support nightmare that would result. In other words, if they were to allow it to be installed on a 64-bit OS they would end up getting 10 times the number of complaints from users who would say, "If I can install it on a 64-bit OS, why does it support fully 64-bit applications?" And, in addition, they would receive nothing but complaints saying that if you're going to make it installable on a 64-bit OS, why isn't it fully compatible with 64-bit applications. In other words, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Therefore, it's a lot less expensive and a lot easier to deal with the "damned if they don't" side of the coin.

Unfortunately I don't know of any 64-bit speech recognition software at this time. You could always try the speech engine built into Vista.

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor

[Edited at 2008-03-10 18:48]

[Edited at 2008-03-10 18:49]
Collapse

Juliet Haydock
Juliet Haydock  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2008

Hi Tom - that's very useful. I phoned Nuance myself and they told me their next release is planned for the middle of this year so it will be interesting to see if they address the problem.
In the meantime I'll carry on running DNS on my old computer and check out the Vista speech engine.
Cheers
Juliet

dibi tiper (X)
dibi tiper (X)
English
Vista speech responce Jun 29, 2008

Office 2003 had a rudimenrty speech engine that for me had an aproximate 65% error rate and as far as I could tell very limited utililities.

Vista speech has limited abilities for speech but is more servicable.

I use a copy of Dragon 7 which is comparity heaven and I have used DNS 9 with much pleasure but I don't have a fast enough cpu for dragon 9.5
good luck,

dibi tiper

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista 64 bit compatible Speech recognition software?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »