Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:48
English to German
+ ...
Jan 2, 2008

Dear Collegues,

First of all: Happy New Year to everybody! I hope you'll all have a successful year 2008!

I have a question concerning speech recognition with MS Vista. Maybe you can help me... I am thinking about working with speech recognition in the future. On my new notebook I have installed Windows Vista. Vista works with an integrated speech recognition program. My question: does this work well? Has anybody already worked with this?

Can I use it when
... See more
Dear Collegues,

First of all: Happy New Year to everybody! I hope you'll all have a successful year 2008!

I have a question concerning speech recognition with MS Vista. Maybe you can help me... I am thinking about working with speech recognition in the future. On my new notebook I have installed Windows Vista. Vista works with an integrated speech recognition program. My question: does this work well? Has anybody already worked with this?

Can I use it when translating with Trados? Or do you think buying DNS is indispensable?

Which DNS-Version would I need? I work mostly into German but write some mails etc. in French and English... Should I order DNS Preferred? I understand that this is only bilingual, right? Do you all have only a bilingual version of DNS even if you have three working languages?

Thanks a million for your help!

Have a nice day!

Leena

[Edited at 2008-01-03 08:17]
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 12:48
English
+ ...
DNS vs MS Vista Jan 3, 2008

Leena vom Hofe wrote:

Can I use it when working with Trados? Or do you think buying DNS is indispensabl

Leena

I have tried the voice recognition included with Visa. I stopped using it after a few hours.
The user interface is not nearly as convenient as that in DNS.

Michael

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:48
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just the same Jan 3, 2008

Hi Michael

thanks for your answer. This is exactly how I felt when trying out speech recognition in Vista yesterday. I tried to "write" an email using this tool and when I say "fullstop" (Punkt in German) a window opens where I can enter the email adress...

It took me an hour to write a few sentences! Even after the "training"...And I am used to talking slowly and accurately.

I will try and find DNS. Does anybody know if there is a kind of "demo version" a
... See more
Hi Michael

thanks for your answer. This is exactly how I felt when trying out speech recognition in Vista yesterday. I tried to "write" an email using this tool and when I say "fullstop" (Punkt in German) a window opens where I can enter the email adress...

It took me an hour to write a few sentences! Even after the "training"...And I am used to talking slowly and accurately.

I will try and find DNS. Does anybody know if there is a kind of "demo version" available?

Thanks!

Leena
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 10:48
English
Vista vs DNS (a comparison) Mar 11, 2008

Comparing NaturallySpeaking to the Vista speech engine: We currently consider the Vista speech engine to be on par with DNS Standard. Accuracy between the 2 products is fairly close but we give DNS a slight edge. Some of the commands written into Vista, like Numbers, are impressive and don't exist even within DNS Pro. It's a little bit like comparing apples to oranges but you can probably plan on Nuance copying the more popular features of the Vista speech engine and you can definitely count on ... See more
Comparing NaturallySpeaking to the Vista speech engine: We currently consider the Vista speech engine to be on par with DNS Standard. Accuracy between the 2 products is fairly close but we give DNS a slight edge. Some of the commands written into Vista, like Numbers, are impressive and don't exist even within DNS Pro. It's a little bit like comparing apples to oranges but you can probably plan on Nuance copying the more popular features of the Vista speech engine and you can definitely count on a real Command Browser being added to the Vista speech engine which should give it the edge over DNS Standard. The 2 products are already so close that we have recommended that Nuance 86 Essentials and Standard when they release Ver. 10. By the time Nuance releases Preferred 10, the Vista speech engine will probably have a significant edge in command technology but Preferred 10 (assuming usual practices) will be even more accurate, able to transcribe digital recordings, utilize third-party vocabularies (although third-party manufacturers are also working on vocabularies for Vista).

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

speech recognition in Vista vs DNS

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »