Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Hi,

One of our colleagues had the same problem recently but nobody was able to help her on that occasion.

http://www.proz.com/topic/89888

Anyhow, I'm trying again now, in the hope someone "in the know" can assist this time.

Everytime I try to turn on the microphone in my DNS9 (preferred version) today, using either the icon or the hot key (+ in the numer
... See more
Hi,

One of our colleagues had the same problem recently but nobody was able to help her on that occasion.

http://www.proz.com/topic/89888

Anyhow, I'm trying again now, in the hope someone "in the know" can assist this time.

Everytime I try to turn on the microphone in my DNS9 (preferred version) today, using either the icon or the hot key (+ in the numeric pad), Dragon shuts down and the toolbar disappears. Sometimes, it then shows a runtime error

I've tried reinstalling DNS and have checked my computer's sound devices, to no avail - does anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Many thanks in advance
Debs

[Edited at 2007-12-18 16:37]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Any changes? Dec 18, 2007

Hi Debora,

I haven't used Dragon in a while, and I've never experienced this problem myself.
But I've learned to approach this kind of stuff with logic - ask questions.

So, have there been any changes to your system just before this started to happen?
New software / new hardware drivers / updates to existing software / perhaps automated Windows updates?

What does the error message for the runtime error say?

I'm thinking there might
... See more
Hi Debora,

I haven't used Dragon in a while, and I've never experienced this problem myself.
But I've learned to approach this kind of stuff with logic - ask questions.

So, have there been any changes to your system just before this started to happen?
New software / new hardware drivers / updates to existing software / perhaps automated Windows updates?

What does the error message for the runtime error say?

I'm thinking there might be an internal conflict, perhaps ports or priorities have been reassigned.

What version of Windows do you use?

Good luck,
Margreet
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 18, 2007

Hi Margreet,

I've taken your good advice on-board but can't think of any changes, other than some automated Windows updates, but that was last week (or the week before) if memory serves me correctly. So I doubt if that could have triggered it, with this only happening today.

I'm using Windows XP. The error message isn't coming up again now, so I can't see exactly what it said.

Is such a pain, because obviously I've worked out my schedule for the week based
... See more
Hi Margreet,

I've taken your good advice on-board but can't think of any changes, other than some automated Windows updates, but that was last week (or the week before) if memory serves me correctly. So I doubt if that could have triggered it, with this only happening today.

I'm using Windows XP. The error message isn't coming up again now, so I can't see exactly what it said.

Is such a pain, because obviously I've worked out my schedule for the week based on the volume I can dictate, which is far higher than what I can type, so not much sleep ahead

If it persists after I try and reinstall again, I'll have to try install it and Trados on another computer and carry on that way for now. Then at least I'll know if it's something connected with my current computer.

Thanks again, really appreciate it
Debs

[Edited at 2007-12-18 16:35]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You're welcome Dec 18, 2007

Shame we didn't get to solve the problem.
I'll keep it in the back of my mind, maybe I'll have a moment of inspiration some time soon.

In the meantime, I hope your workaround helps.

Good luck!
Margreet

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 19, 2007

And if we don't get to "speak" beforehand, have a merry Christmas and great 2008.

Or as we would say back in South Africa: Gelukkige Kersfees en 'n Voorspoedige 2008! (which, of course, needs no explaining, even if it is Afrikaans)

Debs

[Edited at 2007-12-19 07:28]

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
Danish to English
+ ...
mike problems Dec 19, 2007

Have you tried to unplug your mike, restart your computer, then plug in your your mike and see if your computer recognizes the "new hardware".

It could be that your mike died.

I use a VXI PARROTT headset and have for more than 10 years now. No problems with that one.

Merry Christmas - God Jul
Suz

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Troubles continue Dec 19, 2007

BLANGSTED wrote:

Have you tried to unplug your mike, restart your computer, then plug in your your mike and see if your computer recognizes the "new hardware".

It could be that your mike died.

I use a VXI PARROTT headset and have for more than 10 years now. No problems with that one.

Merry Christmas - God Jul
Suz

Hi Suz,

Thanks for the tip, have done that, however it's not the actual mike (headset) that is the issue.

It's when I try to click on the mike icon - i.e. the red mike symbol within the program itself.

Most times Dragon just shuts down, sometimes I get a runtime message before it shuts down.

Managed to read it now. It just says Runtime error, gives the program directory path and says "abnormal program termination".

In other words, it seems that for some reason Dragon is interpreting my clicking on the mike icon to turn it on, to mean shut down (and driving me batty in the process)

Have a good Christmas too, or as they say in Portugal (where I am at the moment) "Feliz Natal".

Debs

[Edited at 2007-12-19 07:29]

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
I still have the same problem Dec 19, 2007

Hi,

It was me who posted the same question in November. I still have the same problem. I gave up, and there were so many other things to do, but your forum post reminded me that I should give it another try.

So I did, and found a telephone support number here in Germany (German support). They are very nice, and it is free (apart from the phone call, but it is a normal number).

But we did not solve the problem by now. What we did find out is, it must be a co
... See more
Hi,

It was me who posted the same question in November. I still have the same problem. I gave up, and there were so many other things to do, but your forum post reminded me that I should give it another try.

So I did, and found a telephone support number here in Germany (German support). They are very nice, and it is free (apart from the phone call, but it is a normal number).

But we did not solve the problem by now. What we did find out is, it must be a corrupt file in Dragon. They suspect my antivirus programme corrupted it.

They told me to exclude the file "natspeak.exe" from my antivirus and to set up a new user to see if the mic can be turned on then. And I could turn it on, but this is no satisfying solution, since I trained my Dragon for about half a year and do not want to start from scratch with a new profile. But at least we know it must be a corrupted file in Dragon.

But ... there are problems with the new user account also, and they occur in connection with Word. I opened the word document with my translation and my CAT-Tool (SDLX) and Dragon. I scrolled down in the word.doc to the page on which I am working right now. I switched to SDLX to dictate the translation. When I switched back to the word.doc, it had jumped back to page 1. I scrolled back down ... and everytime I turned on the mic, the word.doc jumped back to the first page.

This reminded me that there were problems with Word also in November. Everytime Dragon shut down, Word also shut down. It may be a problem with my version of Word. I will phone the Support again to ask if there are known problems with Word. But I will leave tomorrow for a two weeks break, so I might leave it until January.

I have Windows XP and Office 2000 Professional. What version of Word do you use?

All the best,
Katrin
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Katrin Dec 19, 2007

You're an angel for getting back to me, thanks so much.

I'm going to try what the support team told you, if I can figure out how to exclude that file from my antivirus.

I'm using Windows XP with Word 2003 on this computer.

If we don't "speak" again, have a great break.
Debs

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Dec 30, 2007

Sorry for not coming back sooner, but as Katrin says if you exclude the DNS files from your anti-virus (in my case Norton, the exclusion feature is under manual scan, exclusions) and then create and train a new user, it works.

Not ideal as Katrin points out, but it's a workaround.

Once you're used to dictating, it's awful having to go back to typing, and much slower, so I'm just relieved it works!

Thanks everyone!

Oliver Seitz
Oliver Seitz
United States
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
I had the same problem Jun 18, 2008

I had the exact same issue.

Also no recent changes were made, and restarts, re-installations, disconnecting and reconnecting hardware had no results.

However, I use 2 separate Dragon speaker identities. One for a literary transcription and one for scientific transcription.

I noticed that the program only shut off when I used the scientific speaker, but the literary speaker still worked.

Both of these I back up frequently because I don't want t
... See more
I had the exact same issue.

Also no recent changes were made, and restarts, re-installations, disconnecting and reconnecting hardware had no results.

However, I use 2 separate Dragon speaker identities. One for a literary transcription and one for scientific transcription.

I noticed that the program only shut off when I used the scientific speaker, but the literary speaker still worked.

Both of these I back up frequently because I don't want to lose them.

So I just deleted the scientific speaker identity out of Dragon and then reimported it from the backup.

That solved the problem.

[Edited at 2008-06-18 15:41]
Collapse

Oliver Seitz
Oliver Seitz
United States
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
OK, never mind Jun 20, 2008

It worked for a while, then the problem came back.

Now Dragon shuts down as soon as I load the speaker, it doesn't even wait for me to try and turn on the microphone to shut down.

Completely smooth shut down - no error message at all. It's just gone.

Doing what I did earlier probably still would work, but I kinda don't want to have to do that every other day.....

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Word doc jumping around Aug 8, 2008

Katrin Lueke wrote:

I scrolled down in the word.doc to the page on which I am working right now. I switched to SDLX to dictate the translation. When I switched back to the word.doc, it had jumped back to page 1. I scrolled back down ... and everytime I turned on the mic, the word.doc jumped back to the first page.

Too late to be of any possible help for you Katrin, but just in case someone's searching desperately for a suggestion, I have one.

Last night I was working on a Word document the did the same thing. I have no idea what causes it, since it didn't happen on my other computer. But, I figured out that when you scroll down ,the cursor stays in its original place, and so when you switch back to your Word window, it'll position the cursor to be viewed. The only solution is to click in the text to move the cursor after you've scrolled. Then when you switch back to Word, it should be where you left it.
I wasn't using DNS or a CAT tool. It just seems to be a problem with Word or Windows XP.

Were you able to find a sloutino for your other problems?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Cursor position jumping when scrolling — normal Aug 8, 2008

N.M. Eklund wrote:It just seems to be a problem with Word or Windows XP.

It can hardly really be described as a 'problem' — I have noticed this for ages, and just took it as being a perfectly normal feature. After all, merely scrolling down to look at something doesn't mean you necessarily want to move the insertion point, so it appears logical to me that the cursor should stay where it was before you scrolled.

What's more, unless you actually tell it by clicking at a new point in the text, how is Word supposed to 'guess' where you want to be? Clever and ingenious it may be... but it is not clairvoyant!

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Maybe not clear Aug 22, 2008

Hi Tony,
Sorry I didn't see your reply until today.
Maybe I wasn't clear on my previous post. I don't mean that I expect the cursor to move, but when you scroll down, say, a few pages then you switch to another window to look up something for example, when you switch back to the Word document the glitch is that it has repositioned itself back to where the cursor was, not stayed where you had scrolled. It is supposed to stay where you had scrolled and will only jump if you start typin
... See more
Hi Tony,
Sorry I didn't see your reply until today.
Maybe I wasn't clear on my previous post. I don't mean that I expect the cursor to move, but when you scroll down, say, a few pages then you switch to another window to look up something for example, when you switch back to the Word document the glitch is that it has repositioned itself back to where the cursor was, not stayed where you had scrolled. It is supposed to stay where you had scrolled and will only jump if you start typing because you will be typing where the cursor is.

I have a couple computers at home and I noticed that on one computer, the screen stayed put whereas the other one continued to jump back to where the cursor was positioned.

It may be a glitch, but honestly I was in the middle of a huge poject so I didn't take the time to compare if maybe it had to do with two different Word versions.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon shuts down when I try to turn on the microphone

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »