Non-native English speaker
Thread poster: Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2007

Are there any non-native English speakers using Dragon? What is your experience, can you learn how to use it and teach Dragon to recognise our flawed pronounciation?

Piotr

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 08:20
English
+ ...
Yes it works. Dec 17, 2007

I use Dragon all the time for medical dictation. Although I am a native English speaker, the first time I saw the product demonstrated, the speaker was a Quebecois with a thick accent. It worked perfectly.

BTW, occasionally Dragon will not recognize a word or phrase even for me. There are workarounds. For example, it always wants to interpret "cerumen" as "Syrian men" so I've trained it to write "cerumen" whenever I say "earwax".

Michael

[Edited at 2007-12-17 15:
... See more
I use Dragon all the time for medical dictation. Although I am a native English speaker, the first time I saw the product demonstrated, the speaker was a Quebecois with a thick accent. It worked perfectly.

BTW, occasionally Dragon will not recognize a word or phrase even for me. There are workarounds. For example, it always wants to interpret "cerumen" as "Syrian men" so I've trained it to write "cerumen" whenever I say "earwax".

Michael

[Edited at 2007-12-17 15:52]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yep Dec 17, 2007

training takes a little more time, but Dragon can do it.
Depends on how heavy your accent is, I think, but it works for me (Dutch native)

Piotr Sawiec
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
they say it is not very heavy Dec 17, 2007

so I think I will give it a try. Thank you for the information.

since most of my translations are medical, should I buy the preferred version, or some medical extension?

Piotr

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I would't know about non-natives, but... Dec 17, 2007

I use Dragon to dictate mostly in French. However, the French version of Dragon was made with French from France in mind, and when I first started using it, I could sense that the default French dictionary was dictated by someone with an accent from France, judging from the recognition errors. I speak French with a Quebec accent, which in many cases is very different from French French. This causes Dragon to misinterpret what I say.

I used it anyway, knowing that it was possible to
... See more
I use Dragon to dictate mostly in French. However, the French version of Dragon was made with French from France in mind, and when I first started using it, I could sense that the default French dictionary was dictated by someone with an accent from France, judging from the recognition errors. I speak French with a Quebec accent, which in many cases is very different from French French. This causes Dragon to misinterpret what I say.

I used it anyway, knowing that it was possible to adapt words in the dictionary to my way of saying them. I would say it took about 10K words of dication before Dragon started to behave like I wanted it to. The problem is that you will have to spend lots of time with your new pet Dragon for it to recognize your pronunciation, and this is not very productive at first. However, if you are patient and use the spelling/correction functions of Dragon every time it misunderstands your accent (you have to be disciplined, as most of us are tempted to simply retype the word instead of asking Dragon to learn to "pronounce" it correctly). If you do that, it will soon tune in.

Now that Dragon is trained to understand my accent, it makes practically no recognition errors, and I even managed to make it distinguish between certain words that sound alike depending on context, which is admittedly a nice effort, both on my and Dragon's part.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2007-12-17 17:23]
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Medical vs Preferred. Dec 17, 2007

The Medical version costs almost 8 times more than the Preferred. I use the Preferred myself for my medical applications. You can also get specialized vocabularies from third parties. For great microphones and ancillary software see http://knowbrainer.com.

The Preferred version comes out-of the-box with a very extensive medical vocabulary.

Michael

[Edited at 2007-12-18 01:3
... See more
The Medical version costs almost 8 times more than the Preferred. I use the Preferred myself for my medical applications. You can also get specialized vocabularies from third parties. For great microphones and ancillary software see http://knowbrainer.com.

The Preferred version comes out-of the-box with a very extensive medical vocabulary.

Michael

[Edited at 2007-12-18 01:39]
Collapse

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
yes but... Dec 17, 2007

I am Italian native, but live in France since 1980, so my French is really very good and people tell me I have no Italian accent at all.
I dictate in both languages, and have no major problem with French, but I still noticed it works really better with Italian, even if in Italian I think i have an accent from my region.
So in my opinion Dragon is really meant for native speakers.

kyanzes
kyanzes  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Does the mic count? Dec 18, 2007

Currently I own some cheap mic that came as part of a headset. Cost me like ten dollars.

Piotr Sawiec
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no trial version Dec 18, 2007

In my opinion it is a big mistake of Nuance not to have the trial version, there is no chance to see how it works with non-native speakers. If someone wants to try it, they are given no choice but to acquire a "semi-legal" version, and to do a full purchase if the software works.

thank you all for your comments

Piotr

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
The mic counts. Dec 18, 2007

kyanzes wrote:

Currently I own some cheap mic that came as part of a headset. Cost me like ten dollars.

The mic is an essential component for good speech recognition.
I use a hand held Shure SM58. http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-SHU-SM58LC--src-Y0604GL0GOOGLE00.html?gclid=CPvHqZDTspACFRKzhgodgjE8Gg

The headsets are better, but they make you look like a cyborg. I recommend the Plantronics DSP 400.

My favorite new mic, though, is the Revo xTAG wireless!
http://www.qwmusic.org/2007/07/04/revo-labs-unveils-wireless-usb-microphone-system/

They all work marvelously.

Michael

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Who cares? Dec 19, 2007

Michael Barnett wrote:

The headsets are better, but they make you look like a cyborg.

I really don't mind looking like a cyborg - I don't dictate at the hairdressers or at dinner parties. What I find most important with the equipment is ergonomy and comfort, and of course, quality audio. If these requirements are met, then I will maybe look into stylish-looking headsets. The only two places I ever dictate is at home and in cyber cafés, and in both of those places, people are accustomed to cyborg fashion and really don't mind.

Thanks for the tips, Michael - I was going to shop for a headset myself. Even though you recommend microphones, your links are useful for my shopping.

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Mic course 101 Dec 22, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Michael Barnett wrote:

The headsets are better, but they make you look like a cyborg.

I really don't mind looking like a cyborg - I don't dictate at the hairdressers or at dinner parties. What I find most important with the equipment is ergonomy and comfort, and of course, quality audio. If these requirements are met, then I will maybe look into stylish-looking headsets. The only two places I ever dictate is at home and in cyber cafés, and in both of those places, people are accustomed to cyborg fashion and really don't mind.

Thanks for the tips, Michael - I was going to shop for a headset myself. Even though you recommend microphones, your links are useful for my shopping.

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
English
+ ...
Mic course 101 Dec 22, 2007

Hi Victoria,

The Plantronic headset incorporates digital signal processing to filter out noise. The signal passes through an analogue to digital converter and attaches to the computer through a USB port, bypassing the computer's sound card.

If you buy a non-USB headset, you should get an analogue to digital converter that attaches between the mic and the computer to improve your signal/noise ratio.

I use the Plantronics headset at home and in the back offic
... See more
Hi Victoria,

The Plantronic headset incorporates digital signal processing to filter out noise. The signal passes through an analogue to digital converter and attaches to the computer through a USB port, bypassing the computer's sound card.

If you buy a non-USB headset, you should get an analogue to digital converter that attaches between the mic and the computer to improve your signal/noise ratio.

I use the Plantronics headset at home and in the back office at work. I have bought one for each of my children. It is also superb for listening to music from the computer.
I can't wear it front of patients, though. Also, it interferes with the stethoscope!

Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-native English speaker

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »