Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2007

I am working with a distributor in Europe on a group buy for DNS 9 Preferred. These will be available in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish and English.

My question is would most of you that are interested in entering the Voice Recognition space be interested in a software only package, or a software and microphone package. The microphone being offered would be a 5 dragon award winning table top mic with adjustable boom, & noise cancellation.

For those of you tha
... See more
I am working with a distributor in Europe on a group buy for DNS 9 Preferred. These will be available in Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish and English.

My question is would most of you that are interested in entering the Voice Recognition space be interested in a software only package, or a software and microphone package. The microphone being offered would be a 5 dragon award winning table top mic with adjustable boom, & noise cancellation.

For those of you that already have DNS 9 - would you have rather purchased a combination software and mic (designed and tested for DNS 9 use)?

Thanks for your input.

Drew MacFadyen
Advertising Manager
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:31
German to English
+ ...
without a microphone Dec 4, 2007

Hi Drew,
I received an e-mail from Nuance today with a special offer for the preferred version for €150 (seems to be the same price as the update) along with 7 software tools "worth €50". <
... See more
Hi Drew,
I received an e-mail from Nuance today with a special offer for the preferred version for €150 (seems to be the same price as the update) along with 7 software tools "worth €50".

http://www.nuancestore.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17c?SID=32776&SP=10023&CID=330716&PID=851487&PN=1&V1=851487&CUR=978&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=330716

I already have a good headset (I am currently using DNS 8 preferred) that gives me very satisfactory results, so I'd prefer the version without a microphone. I am planning to buy DNS 9, but I really need it before the end of the year.

I see that an update to 9.5 is available for 32-bit Vista systems:
http://www.nuance.de/vista/naturallyspeaking/preferred/

Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Never really used their mics Dec 4, 2007

I have tried them, they are not too bad... nor too great. Those I got were headsets, I don't know about table mics (those I tried never worked for me).
I got better results with digital, noise canceling headsets that I bought on my own.
You finally stick to what gives you the best speech recognition.
I wish I never had to pay for these things in the box that I can't use.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
With a microphone Dec 5, 2007

I don't currently use any SR and I imagine the microphone I've got for Webcam use is pretty low quality, so I'd be interested in the software + microphone package.

sheizmann (X)
sheizmann (X)
English to German
SW plus MIC Dec 5, 2007

Hi, I am interested in a first-ever buy, and I do not yet have a microphone. What kind of version is "Preferred"? Is that something between Standard and Professional? I gather that Professional is quite expensive (near 700 EUR over here in Germany). Does Preferred work well together with things like TRADOS?

Cheers,
Susanne

Idoia Echenique
Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
With a microphone too Dec 6, 2007

As Marie-Hélène points out, I imagine that the headset included in the pack works better than the one I use for other applications.

Does anybody know how it works with Wordfast?

Also, I don't understand the huge price difference when buying this software in the official sites for different countries (199 USD for USA and 199 EUR for Spain for the Preferred version!)

I hope you'll get a good deal, Drew...
See more
As Marie-Hélène points out, I imagine that the headset included in the pack works better than the one I use for other applications.

Does anybody know how it works with Wordfast?

Also, I don't understand the huge price difference when buying this software in the official sites for different countries (199 USD for USA and 199 EUR for Spain for the Preferred version!)

I hope you'll get a good deal, Drew

Cheers,

Idoia
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price difference Dec 6, 2007

We ran a group buy for DNS 9 ENGLISH only version from a US distributor and received a pretty good discount - $175 USD I believe, but most European distributors prices are for versions that support multiple languages - for obvious reasons, so that software is priced differently. The US price is for English versions only.

Looks like we will be going forward with a bundled DNS 9 preferred (choose Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish or English) with a selection of either a table
... See more
We ran a group buy for DNS 9 ENGLISH only version from a US distributor and received a pretty good discount - $175 USD I believe, but most European distributors prices are for versions that support multiple languages - for obvious reasons, so that software is priced differently. The US price is for English versions only.

Looks like we will be going forward with a bundled DNS 9 preferred (choose Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish or English) with a selection of either a table mic, or headset USB mic (normal price for mic is 179 EUROS), and installation support all for 285 EUROS.

When the agreement is set and the group buy page active I will post to this thread for everyone.

Thanks

Drew MacFadyen
Collapse

sheizmann (X)
sheizmann (X)
English to German
I'm a silly forum newbie Dec 13, 2007

Hi Drew,

thanks for all the trouble you are going to.

What does "post for everyone" mean? Will I receive an eMail, or will it be better to get back to this thread now and then? And what's a "group buy page"?

Susanne

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
post to this thread Dec 13, 2007

I will post to this thread and will also have on the group buy page - www.proz.com/tgb

I expect to have something up and running in the next 5-7 days.

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Planned group buy for DNS 9 Preferred

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »