Please Help! Dragon turns off when I want to turn the microphone on!
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
English to German
Nov 21, 2007

Hello,

I own Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.5.
During the last days I had the problem, that at some time during the translation process it would turn itself off without warning. This happened in combination with turning the microphone off or on.
Now I cannot turn the microphone on any more. I start Dragon, and when I want to turn the micro on, Dragon turns itself off. I start Dragon again, and it happens again. At the third time, I get a error message, saying my i
... See more
Hello,

I own Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 9.5.
During the last days I had the problem, that at some time during the translation process it would turn itself off without warning. This happened in combination with turning the microphone off or on.
Now I cannot turn the microphone on any more. I start Dragon, and when I want to turn the micro on, Dragon turns itself off. I start Dragon again, and it happens again. At the third time, I get a error message, saying my installation is damaged and I should start the installation again. If I restart the computer, Dragon works fine for a few minutes, then the same happens again.

Now I wonder, if starting the installation again would "kill" all my speech recognition files? I have done quite a bit of training and do not want to start from scratch again!

Does anyone of you know how to save the speech recognition files and import them again after the reinstallation? Or is it not necessary?

And do you know what could be the cause of my problem and how it could be solved otherwise?

As my deadline is looming, this is kind of urgent. But I am already prepared to tell the client I will not make it

Thank you very very much for your help!!!
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
update Nov 26, 2007

Hello,

it still does not work.

I have inserted the installation CD, as recommended, and performed the "repair installation" feature. No changes.

Then I did a complete deinstallation of Dragon and installed it again. Still the same problem.

Then I got the hint it might not be a problem with Dragon but with my soundcard, as Dragon always closes itself when I want to turn the micro
... See more
Hello,

it still does not work.

I have inserted the installation CD, as recommended, and performed the "repair installation" feature. No changes.

Then I did a complete deinstallation of Dragon and installed it again. Still the same problem.

Then I got the hint it might not be a problem with Dragon but with my soundcard, as Dragon always closes itself when I want to turn the micro on.

I did a check of my sound system in Windows XP (micro, speakers,etc.) and my computer told me everything was alright.

Then I downloaded the latest driver for my soundcard from the manufacturer's website and installed it - but the problem is still there.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Katrin
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same problem Dec 18, 2007

Hi Katrin,

I'm experiencing the same problem today, for no apparent reason either.

Have you since resolved your problem? If so, would you mind telling me what the problem turned out to be in the end?

Thanks
Debs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please Help! Dragon turns off when I want to turn the microphone on!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »