Trados shortcut commands in DNS?
Thread poster: Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
Serbian to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2007

I have just had a quick trial of DNS and am blown away - I will almost certainly buy it. All I can say is it works amazingly well in English, making VERY few mistakes.

For those of you having major recognition problems, my feeling is that issue Number One may be microphone quality. I remember trying a version of Dragon about 6-7 years ago and it was hopeless. But I had a really cheapie headset. I am using a good-quality one now, and the accuracy has just amazed me. I am a reasonably
... See more
I have just had a quick trial of DNS and am blown away - I will almost certainly buy it. All I can say is it works amazingly well in English, making VERY few mistakes.

For those of you having major recognition problems, my feeling is that issue Number One may be microphone quality. I remember trying a version of Dragon about 6-7 years ago and it was hopeless. But I had a really cheapie headset. I am using a good-quality one now, and the accuracy has just amazed me. I am a reasonably fast typist, but I can almost speak at natural speed with this, something which would kill my finger joints within a few minutes!

Just one question connected with Trados (well, Word really) - how would you program in a voice command to run the Set/Close/Open macro (our dear friend Alt Num+)? It only seems to let you program in blocks of text and graphics, and also seems to suggest that running macros/scripts is something you can only do in the Professional version. Is that the case? I would love to lean back from the keyboard altogether and not even have to use Alt Num+

BTW, one thing I quickly discovered, if you want to delete the previous word, say "delete previous word", NOT just "delete". This will avoid it deleting the carriage return and screwing up the translation unit end tag. As for the other issue, not capitalising the first word of the TU, well... The command "capitalise first word" is better than nothing and is no major hassle.

Otherwise, I am impressed...
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 00:46
Japanese to English
Pro or Vocola Nov 4, 2007

Mark Daniels wrote:

Just one question connected with Trados (well, Word really) - how would you program in a voice command to run the Set/Close/Open macro (our dear friend Alt Num+)? It only seems to let you program in blocks of text and graphics, and also seems to suggest that running macros/scripts is something you can only do in the Professional version. Is that the case? I would love to lean back from the keyboard altogether and not even have to use Alt Num+

I haven't typed Alt Num + in years and I certainly don't miss that un-ergonomic dance to the other end of the keyboard every sentence...(Really, what was Trados thinking with that one? Virtually impossible to do on a laptop and a recipe for early carpal tunnel. Even before DNS I reset it to something more civilized, Alt Enter I think.)

To get macro capability you either buy the professional version or install Vocola, which is a free add-on. My preference is for the professional version in spite of the expense because: 1) it allows programming in VBA, which is the same language as Office macros and fairly powerful in its own right, 2) I can be reasonably sure that Nuance won't break it in some future version, and 3) I'm a sucker for the word "professional," which corporate marketing departments seem to have figured out.

To actually run the Trados commands, in Word you have a choice between having Dragon actually send keystrokes like Alt Num + or calling the macros directly by name from the Trados.dot file. In TagEditor you're stuck with just sending keystrokes, but that's a Trados problem, not DNS.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados shortcut commands in DNS?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »