System requirements for DNS 9, Trados etc when programs are open at the same time
Thread poster: Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2007

I use DNS 9 with Trados 2006 and my computer has slowed down and it crashes more frequently. I run it on Windows XP, and Trados goes on top of Office 2003. My computer has 1Gb of RAM. Is this likely to be a RAM issue or something else? I see that DNS only needs 512 Mb of RAM. Does having Trados, TagEditor and PowerPoint running at the same time make any difference, even if, at any one moment, you obviously do not use DNS (i.e. speak into it) and Trados exactly simultaneously? In other words, whe... See more
I use DNS 9 with Trados 2006 and my computer has slowed down and it crashes more frequently. I run it on Windows XP, and Trados goes on top of Office 2003. My computer has 1Gb of RAM. Is this likely to be a RAM issue or something else? I see that DNS only needs 512 Mb of RAM. Does having Trados, TagEditor and PowerPoint running at the same time make any difference, even if, at any one moment, you obviously do not use DNS (i.e. speak into it) and Trados exactly simultaneously? In other words, when working out system requirements for having more than one package open at the same time, do you just add up the advertised requirements of each package, or is it more like 100% of advertised requirements of package being used plus "x%" of packages open but not in active use?
Any help / pointers towards computer support forums / books or websites on PC basics would be much appreciated.
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Upgrade your memory Sep 24, 2007

I used to have the same problem on my old 512 Mb PC -- sometime extremely slow.
I have just acquired a new PC with a faster processor and 2G of memory. It is now amazingly fast and robust.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:42
German to French
+ ...
RAM + swap file + disk space Sep 24, 2007

Hi,

Even if a software is not used, the fact that it's open means it needs computer resources, so the more RAM you have, the better it is. Requirements may not add up, but my old computer also started to be slow with 1 Gb when DNS, Office XP, DejaVu, Adobe Reader and a couple of Internet Explorer pages were open simultaneously. So I just bought a new PC with 4 Gb RAM and it's much faster!

You may also check the size of the swap file (Control Panel > System > Hardware >
... See more
Hi,

Even if a software is not used, the fact that it's open means it needs computer resources, so the more RAM you have, the better it is. Requirements may not add up, but my old computer also started to be slow with 1 Gb when DNS, Office XP, DejaVu, Adobe Reader and a couple of Internet Explorer pages were open simultaneously. So I just bought a new PC with 4 Gb RAM and it's much faster!

You may also check the size of the swap file (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Performances > Parameters > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Modify).
Maybe you can improve the performances of your computer by checking "Size managed by the system" (or similar, I don't have an English version of Windows) if you notice that the recommended size is much larger than the actual size of the file.

Another thing to check is how full your hard drive is - my old computer was 5 years old with only 40 Gb memory and even if I suppressed old files regularly, only 13% of free disk space was obviously not enough anymore...

HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can't find swap file Sep 24, 2007

Thanks Peter and Marie-Céline.
Marie-Céline: I also bought my computer in France so my system is in French. How do I get to the swap file? I got as far as "Système".

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:42
English to French
+ ...
I also have 1Gb RAM Sep 24, 2007

I have almost the same setup as you, except I use DNS 8. I have no problems, although Dragon seems to slow down a little bit after extended periods of use. However, this is not enough to really make a difference in my working speed.

One thing I have noticed is it helps to set the recognition precision a little lower, which means recognition will not be as precise, but it will be faster. This depends mainly on how long you've "trained" Dragon, that is, how much of the dictionary have
... See more
I have almost the same setup as you, except I use DNS 8. I have no problems, although Dragon seems to slow down a little bit after extended periods of use. However, this is not enough to really make a difference in my working speed.

One thing I have noticed is it helps to set the recognition precision a little lower, which means recognition will not be as precise, but it will be faster. This depends mainly on how long you've "trained" Dragon, that is, how much of the dictionary have you dictated to it so far. I find that lowering the recognition accuracy doesn't really affect the quality of Dragon's output. If your recognition accuracy is set the highest, then I think I know what's keeping you from working faster - Dragon's recognition operations do tend to eat up a lot of RAM. I recommend you to set the recognition accuracy somewhere halfway on the slider.

In any case, I would not try what you are doing with 512Gb RAM - your setup (and mine) are pretty much at the limit.

EDIT: Marie-Céline has a good point when she mentions hard drive space. We often overlook this factor - this may be your case. I use an external drive to keep my hard drive clean and not only is it good for keeping things tidy, it also serves as a backup device, which fixes another computer issue freelancers have. They are just huge and very cheap nowadays, so if this seems to be part of your problem, you've just found part of the solution. By the way, an external hard drive is also really neat when you want to work outside of your office. Some models allow you to run applications directly from the external drive, so you can install your extra licence of Trados on it and just bring the external drive with you the next time you're on a trip and need to get a job finished for a client.

[Edited at 2007-09-24 14:52]
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:42
German to French
+ ...
My mistake, sorry! Sep 24, 2007

Sorry, I typed the wrong path to the swap file...
It should be:

Panneau de configuration > Système > Avancé > section Performances, cliquer sur le bouton Paramètres > Avancé (encore) > Mémoire virtuelle, cliquer sur le bouton Modifier > choisir Taille gérée par le système si la valeur affichée est trop inférieure à la taille recommandée.

(in English something like Control Panel > System > Advanc
... See more
Sorry, I typed the wrong path to the swap file...
It should be:

Panneau de configuration > Système > Avancé > section Performances, cliquer sur le bouton Paramètres > Avancé (encore) > Mémoire virtuelle, cliquer sur le bouton Modifier > choisir Taille gérée par le système si la valeur affichée est trop inférieure à la taille recommandée.

(in English something like Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performances > Parameters > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Modify)

Marie-Céline
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

System requirements for DNS 9, Trados etc when programs are open at the same time

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »