Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 18, 2007

After dictating without problem all morning. I've encountered an annoying glitch:

I place the cursor at the point where I want to insert text in a Microsoft Word document, then I dictate, but the cursor jumps to another point in the document and Dragon inserts the text there.

I shut down the computer and restarted everything, but the problem continues in that file (although I can dictate here and in other MS Word files without problem).

My client has given
... See more
After dictating without problem all morning. I've encountered an annoying glitch:

I place the cursor at the point where I want to insert text in a Microsoft Word document, then I dictate, but the cursor jumps to another point in the document and Dragon inserts the text there.

I shut down the computer and restarted everything, but the problem continues in that file (although I can dictate here and in other MS Word files without problem).

My client has given me a file with a table, which has the source text in the left-hand column, and the translation is to go into the right-hand column. I've had no trouble with this before, and I was doing it successfully in this particular file earlier today, so I don't think that is the source of the problem (but it might be).

I'm hoping that somebody can shed some light on how to get this glitch to stop. Thanks very much!
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:39
English to French
long document? Aug 19, 2007

I have experienced problems in the past with long documents, under Word or under In Design, problems appearing only when I had reached quite far in the file (but the symptoms were not identical to yours, and it was not with Dragon 9). Just a suggestion: try to split your document, ans see if you can work correctly on the second half...
Also, have you stopped and restarted DNS? And checked your current DNS mode? (under Words menu)
No other idea for now... Good luck.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
French to English
+ ...
Try Find and replace Aug 19, 2007

Hi Patricia,

You've probably tried this, but on the off chance that it's the usual jumping cursor glitch, have you tried doing a find and replace on one letter e.g. y, replacing with the same letter, then try to dictate again. That normally sorts it out for me. I think there's a macro that does the same thing, but as I'm not very good at macros, this seems easy enough and effective.

Good luck!

Claire

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
still having problems Aug 19, 2007

Thank you, bohy and Claire, for your suggestions, but I'm still having problems. I've restarted Word, DNS, and the computer itself several times, and I just tried replacing a single character, but once I've dictated a phrase, the cursor leaps to a different point in the document and inserts text there.

I did find that by opening a new document and cutting and pasting the text in there, I can dictate for a while, but eventually the problem recurs. So odd!

PS Claire: I ho
... See more
Thank you, bohy and Claire, for your suggestions, but I'm still having problems. I've restarted Word, DNS, and the computer itself several times, and I just tried replacing a single character, but once I've dictated a phrase, the cursor leaps to a different point in the document and inserts text there.

I did find that by opening a new document and cutting and pasting the text in there, I can dictate for a while, but eventually the problem recurs. So odd!

PS Claire: I hope I'm not being horribly nosy, but could you tell me what breed of dog is in the image of your avatar? (Sorry, I'm hopeless dog nut ...)
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
French to English
+ ...
Springer collie cross Aug 19, 2007

Hi Patricia,

Not nosy at all - I'm dog-mad myself! She's a springer/collie cross - both her parents are springer-collie crosses. Mind you, apart from her skinniness, I can't see any collie in her at all - she looks all springer and is suitably crazy (but adorable with it)! I see you have a springer too in your picture. She looks a little older than my two-year old though....

All the best,

Claire

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Brittanys Aug 19, 2007

Hi, Claire,
She is adorable and obviously a bundle of energy! I have three Brittanies, but Jake--in the picture--is always taken for a Springer (even our vet gets it wrong). The other two are thinner, with thinner coats, and orange and white, so they look like Brittanys; Jake is just 2 1/2.

I've never heard of a collie-springer cross, but it obviously works!
Best,
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon 9/MS Word--cursor jumps

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »