United States
Local time: 04:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 27, 2007

Hi, all!

I have a series of related questions:

Can Dragon read aloud text that is in a .pdf format?

Can it read aloud in Spanish?

Is it necessary to buy one of the more advanced versions of Naturally Speaking to have access to the "read that back" feature in just one language (Spanish, in this case)?

Do any of the Adobe products offer a "read aloud" feature that can work effectively with Spanish texts (I downloaded the Spanish vers
... See more
Hi, all!

I have a series of related questions:

Can Dragon read aloud text that is in a .pdf format?

Can it read aloud in Spanish?

Is it necessary to buy one of the more advanced versions of Naturally Speaking to have access to the "read that back" feature in just one language (Spanish, in this case)?

Do any of the Adobe products offer a "read aloud" feature that can work effectively with Spanish texts (I downloaded the Spanish version of Reader, but the voice playback was horrible!)?

Is there a software for reading documents (preferably including .pdfs) in Spanish that you would recommend?

Thanks very much!
Patricia
Collapse

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:13
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
speech recognition vs. screen reading Jul 28, 2007

hi patricia,

1. text-to-speech is available only in the dragonpad, ms word and corel wordperfect so you'd have to copy/paste text from a pdf file.

2. very like yes if you buy the spanish version

3. preferred and higher: www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/matrix/professional/

4. I don't know but you're looking for a screen readi
... See more
hi patricia,

1. text-to-speech is available only in the dragonpad, ms word and corel wordperfect so you'd have to copy/paste text from a pdf file.

2. very like yes if you buy the spanish version

3. preferred and higher: www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/matrix/professional/

4. I don't know but you're looking for a screen reading product (not a speech recognition one), which works on top of adobe sw.

5. e.g. www.nuance.com/realspeak/languages/

cheers,
pavel
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:13
Spanish
+ ...
... Jul 28, 2007

Pavel Blann wrote:

Dragon preferred v.9 can read text directly from Word, even Wordpad and Notepad, but not from pdf files.

The bilingual versions of Dragon can read out-loud in English and in the second language (the Spanish version uses a Castilian accent).

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you ... Jul 28, 2007

Thank you for replying, Claudia and Pavel!

It's a disappointment that Dragon cannot read .pdf files. I was going to suggest this to the person who proofreads my work (in the .pdf format only) since he has to get someone to sit with him and read aloud the Spanish version while he looks at the English.

But I'll keep looking ... thanks for your help!

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 07:13
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Why not convert? Jul 31, 2007

Patricia,

You always have the option of copying the PDF text and pasting it into the voice reader. If it is a scanned text, you can use OCR software (if the copy is clean).

I am a happy user of Cepstralvoices. They come with Cepstral's SwiftTalker. Each voice costs USD 30 apiece.

HTH

Reed

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Can you tell me more about Cepstral??? Jul 31, 2007

This is a coincidence because my friend just sent me the link to Nuance's PDF converter. I had hesitated to suggest that because the point of having the .pdf file is to be able to see a clear copy of the book, with images and everything. But he seems interested in pursuing that option, and I've written a note to Nuance to get some more information (since he works primarily in Spanish).

Is Cepstral just text to voice? When you say each "voice" is that a different language? (My fun
... See more
This is a coincidence because my friend just sent me the link to Nuance's PDF converter. I had hesitated to suggest that because the point of having the .pdf file is to be able to see a clear copy of the book, with images and everything. But he seems interested in pursuing that option, and I've written a note to Nuance to get some more information (since he works primarily in Spanish).

Is Cepstral just text to voice? When you say each "voice" is that a different language? (My fundamental concern is that it read Spanish in a recognizable accent!) What do you usually use SwiftTalker for?

Thanks!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Naturally Speaking and Adobe Reader

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »