Bluetooth headset for DNS9
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 06:08
English
One topic with differing opinions Mar 13, 2008

Richard,

If these mics worked well with DNS they would be found in the microphone selections of speech recognition vendor websites but they are not. I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. The greatest part of forums is one topic and many opinions.

The cost of the above mics is high but that's because they are wireless and cutting the wire gets expensive. We have no problem with making inexpensive microphone suggestions and here is an example and a link to a r
... See more
Richard,

If these mics worked well with DNS they would be found in the microphone selections of speech recognition vendor websites but they are not. I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. The greatest part of forums is one topic and many opinions.

The cost of the above mics is high but that's because they are wireless and cutting the wire gets expensive. We have no problem with making inexpensive microphone suggestions and here is an example and a link to a resulting thread from the forum in relation to the mic.

One of our forum members mentioned that he uses an Olympus ME52W http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/images/KB/hardware/KB0600094_124.jpg lapel mic with NaturallySpeaking. I told him that mic certainly would produce less than acceptable results. We sell that mic as an add on to our endorsed digital recorders and would never sell it for direct dictation. The seed was planted and after a few trials.............the ME52W actually did very well at $30.00 . The accuracy was comparable to our other 2nd tier wired mics such as the TalkPro Express, ANC 700/750 or NC 9100. Unique to this mic is the fact it's a lapel mic and only carries the weight of a quarter. Noise cancellation was not at all acceptable so I would only suggest using this mic in a quiet environment only. I also suggest if anyone wants to take this route add a 1/2 duplex USB Pod (external soundcard) and a 6 ft extension cord as the ME52W only has a three foot cord. This has became the most inexpensive mic that we have ever accidentally found acceptable for NaturallySpeeking.

I will give Lunis your regards and please don't be a stranger.

Forum Thread - http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumTopic&topicId=3416&pageNo=1 - C1F2CA5C-3048-5991-CEF41536347A353Dthread14149

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor

[Edited at 2008-03-13 04:26]
Collapse

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 21:08
Japanese to English
Try again Mar 13, 2008

Tom Hamilton wrote:

If these mics worked well with DNS they would be found in the microphone selections of speech recognition vendor websites but they are not.

Well hot damn, I am using one right now and it seems to be working fine, guess I should have consulted with the vendors first so I would have known better.

It's hard to argue with results, Tom, so if speech recognition vendors are not selling these things, it means they either have an unstated prejudice against them, faulty testing methods, or a countervailing commercial interest.

Different opinions are great, but appeals to authority tend to undermine authority when they conflict with empirical fact. (Translation: Do your homework. Not all cute Bluetooth microphones are created equal.)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bluetooth headset for DNS9

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »