Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:44
English to German
Jun 11, 2007

Dear DNS users,
what headset do you use?
Are you happy with the headset that is sold together with DNS?
Or did you buy another one, and if, which one was it?
And are you happy with that?
Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!
Best regards,
Katrin

Giulia TAPPI
Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
French to Italian
+ ...
I use the one sold with DNS Jun 11, 2007

and I am perfectly happy with it.
Giulia

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
DNS headsets Jun 11, 2007

DNS is selling a regular headset (with cables) and the wireless Plantronic headset.

The wireless headset is just perfect (might have additional power, since reloading is time consuming)

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 06:44
English to German
Wireless Jun 11, 2007

Hi Katrin

I used the one that comes with Dragon for more than two years. I found it to be very uncomfortable and the cable bothered me as well. Last week, I bought a Plantronics wireless headset and am happy with it.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No headset, a standing microphone Jun 11, 2007

A standing microphone on my desk, by Logitech.
Not expensive at all, and much more comfortable than a headset, IMHO.
I place it where one would usually have the keyboard, and the keyboard is placed between the microphone and my screen, so I can easily switch to the keyboard for occasional corrections and such.
I think the microphone was originally intended for use with a webcam, for live chats and stuff like that, or maybe for Skype, but it works quite well with DNS.
... See more
I place it where one would usually have the keyboard, and the keyboard is placed between the microphone and my screen, so I can easily switch to the keyboard for occasional corrections and such.
I think the microphone was originally intended for use with a webcam, for live chats and stuff like that, or maybe for Skype, but it works quite well with DNS.

In case you're interested: I don't know if it's allowed to add a link to the manufacturer, but just Google 'logitech microphone' and you'll get pictures and links.

Best,
Margreet
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Plantronics .50 monaural (wired) Jun 11, 2007

I broke the DNS-supplied headset pretty quickly and bought a Plantronics. Much more confortable, lighter and better recognition (as far as I have noticed).
Philippe

Jonathan Morris
Jonathan Morris  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Logitech headset Jun 11, 2007

Pretty good, but will be disrupted by phone ringing, people shouting nearby. Worst thing is when my phone rings and you can't turn DNS off.

As for the headset supplied - seems more like a mediaeval instrument of torture. One wonders what kind of head they had in mind.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:44
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mainframe solution Jun 11, 2007

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Pretty good, but will be disrupted by phone ringing, people shouting nearby. Worst thing is when my phone rings and you can't turn DNS off.

As for the headset supplied - seems more like a mediaeval instrument of torture. One wonders what kind of head they had in mind.

I don't use DNS, but for Skype, I have a free standing desk mike which you can buy for under 10 bucks.

As for my ears, Yamaha Orthodynamic HP-1 headphones http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113131. Lightweight, sooooo comfortable and you can still hear important stuff like telephones. My wife gave me these about thirty years ago and the impeccable sound quality has even improved considerably because of digital input! All you need is a jack adapter.

Crucial for Skype to prevent the feedback you would get from the speakers.

Worth treating yourself, IMO. Keep an eye on Ebay for similar.

Why burn your brains with even more "Wi-Fry"?

Chris

[Edited at 2007-06-11 17:02]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
extactly the same Jun 11, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

In case you're interested: I don't know if it's allowed to add a link to the manufacturer, but just Google 'logitech microphone' and you'll get pictures and links.

Best,
Margreet

Like Margaret, I position a freestanding mike on the desk, with the keyboard between it and the screen. I also sometimes just hold the mike part in my hand (i.e. I detech it from the stand).

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:44
Spanish
+ ...
Bluetooth headsets? Jun 11, 2007

I tried the supplied headset once but I also found it too uncomfortable. I use a wired Plantronics headset that works great with both DNS and Skype. I wanted to get the wireless headset until I saw the tag price, I wonder if anybody has found a decent Bluetooth headset that works good with DNS.

Michiel Zijlstra
Michiel Zijlstra  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Plantronics Jun 11, 2007

Plantronics DSP 100 USB headset with integrated sound card.
(Cannot be ordered anymore).

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
Plantronics as standard Jun 11, 2007

When I bought DNS five years ago, the microphone that came with it was a Plantronics Per Sono 2.0 and it is still working well, despite my standing on it twice. It seems to be standard procedure to supply the Plantronics mike here in Australia. Its inclusion in the deal probably kept the price up, as I paid $A 1 700 (around 1 000 euros) for the pro version (7.0). The recent upgrade to 8.0 was $A 400 (around 240 euros). I have p... See more
When I bought DNS five years ago, the microphone that came with it was a Plantronics Per Sono 2.0 and it is still working well, despite my standing on it twice. It seems to be standard procedure to supply the Plantronics mike here in Australia. Its inclusion in the deal probably kept the price up, as I paid $A 1 700 (around 1 000 euros) for the pro version (7.0). The recent upgrade to 8.0 was $A 400 (around 240 euros). I have previously been told that I paid too much but I hadn't mentioned the inclusion of the Plantronics mike. Anyway, things that are a bit unusual often cost more in Australia and it is often easier just to grin and bear it, especially if you're in a hurry, as I was at the time, having serious problems with my eyes (didn't fancy being a blind translator).

I don't know what others think of the practice of supplying a Plantronics mike with DNS.
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
Sorry to confuse you Jun 11, 2007

The version to which I recently upgraded was, in fact, 9.1 ( I have just checked).

Robin Salmon wrote:

The recent upgrade to 8.0 was $A 400 (around 240 euros).

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Plantronics DSP400 foldable, digital, USB Jun 12, 2007

This foldable headset is very light to wear, very easy to carry (folds easily) ! I have had it for 2 years, travel quite often and it did not break like the others...
Plus it brought a big plus in the audio quality level.
It's much better than the regular headsets provided with Dragon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS users: what headset do you use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »