Only DNS Professional supports PPT
Thread poster: Mattock
Mattock
Mattock
German to English
Jun 5, 2007

Experience shows that CAT and speech recognition software compatibility is problematic.

The URL below states that one cannot use DNS Standard or Preferred with MS-Powerpoint. I think this is very important for translators to know,as so many texts are being created by customers in PPT.

http://www.itspeaking.com/speech-faqs.asp#dnsmatrix

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not so Jun 5, 2007

I am very surprised to hear this. I use CAT and speech recognition all the time (specifically Trados and Dragon Preferred) and though there are occasional problems and annoyances, most of the time it works excellently.

Dragon Preferred also works fine with PowerPoint. I have used both in various versions for years.

In fact, I would be hard put to identify any software that Dragon doesn't work with. It even works at the DOS command line -- you can dictate a command like
... See more
I am very surprised to hear this. I use CAT and speech recognition all the time (specifically Trados and Dragon Preferred) and though there are occasional problems and annoyances, most of the time it works excellently.

Dragon Preferred also works fine with PowerPoint. I have used both in various versions for years.

In fact, I would be hard put to identify any software that Dragon doesn't work with. It even works at the DOS command line -- you can dictate a command like COPY A: B: ( though in that case I admit it is quicker to type).

[Edited at 2007-06-05 11:23]
Collapse

Mattock
Mattock
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
What DNS do you use? Jun 5, 2007

Peter

you mention you use DNS. Which?

The URL I cited, which is an FAQ, lists features of DNS 9, whereby it is not even clear if they mean DNS 9.5. In theory, I suppose there may have been a deterioration from DNS 7 or 8.

However my point is that translators who need to work with PPT should look into this before buying DNS 9, or at least contact the
URL to challenge the truth of what this Birmingham UK firm states.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Several versions Jun 5, 2007

I have been using DNS Preferred for several years, starting with 5, now on 9.

You are of course right that people should check. However, bearing in mind that DNS works at the operating system level, like the keyboard, the question of whether DNS works "with" a program is a bit like asking whether the keyboard works "with" such and such a program. Generally it does. The fact that DNS works in DOS mode proves that it functions at a low level, not with programs.

As I sai
... See more
I have been using DNS Preferred for several years, starting with 5, now on 9.

You are of course right that people should check. However, bearing in mind that DNS works at the operating system level, like the keyboard, the question of whether DNS works "with" a program is a bit like asking whether the keyboard works "with" such and such a program. Generally it does. The fact that DNS works in DOS mode proves that it functions at a low level, not with programs.

As I said, I have never come across a program that does not work with DNS, though I am aware that other people have found problems, and I don't doubt them.

That reinfoces your point about checking first, and preferably checking several sources, in case one source is simply wrong.

Let me add that though I do not know the Birmingham firm you mention, I have no reason to doubt their overall expertise. If I ever want a better microphone, that would be the place to buy it.

[Edited at 2007-06-05 14:57]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only DNS Professional supports PPT

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »