Help with Dragon 9 and
Thread poster: lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

May 14, 2007

I just started using Dragon, and every time I restart my PC, I have to visit the Accuracy Center and recheck the audio settings. Is this normal?. I could not find anything about this on their site.

It also seems rather slow, is there any way to speed aboup? Thanks.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
not a problem I've ever had ... May 14, 2007

Hi, Linda,
I'm sorry that I can't help in terms of figuring out this glitch, but I will say that the only time I recall being prompted to use the Accuracy Center was when I first installed the program (in other words, one time).

When I start my PC, I manually load Dragon, since I don't use it everyday, but when it starts it is very nonintrusive (a bar appears at the top of the screen, and nothing else happens) and it doesn't seem to slow performance down.

The only
... See more
Hi, Linda,
I'm sorry that I can't help in terms of figuring out this glitch, but I will say that the only time I recall being prompted to use the Accuracy Center was when I first installed the program (in other words, one time).

When I start my PC, I manually load Dragon, since I don't use it everyday, but when it starts it is very nonintrusive (a bar appears at the top of the screen, and nothing else happens) and it doesn't seem to slow performance down.

The only slowdown occurred when I was translating a very large document, and under Options, I played with the settings, putting "recognition" at "highest accuracy"; suddenly everything turned to molasses. I broke the files into three parts, and reversed the Dragon setting so it was "fastest response". Things were fine after doing that.

I hope someone else can help...
Patricia
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Learn to be patient - it's worth it:-) May 14, 2007

Linda Bolzern wrote:

I just started using Dragon, and every time I restart my PC, I have to visit the Accuracy Center and recheck the audio settings. Is this normal?. I could not find anything about this on their site.

It also seems rather slow, is there any way to speed aboup? Thanks.

Hi Linda

I slacked off using DNS for a while as I found it hard to cope with the slowness (especially when combined with a TM), but once I learned to build acceptance of that slight delay in and invest effort in training it, it became a joy to use.

I have started using it again, with and without a TM, and it really helps the translation along. Even if I just do a few pages, it saves my weary fingers a couple of hundred keystrokes. And it's terrific for PDF documents that cannot be converted.

Maybe an approach would be to try and use it for a short period every day - as training for it and you. Not only do you have to deal with its quirks, you also have to learn to read a sentence, and translate it mentally in a reasonable form before committing it to the screen (otherwise you waste unnecessary time editing).

Best of luck
Ailish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Dragon 9 and

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »